Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Expansive...
    There are providers out there who do part time and do not charge a whole week.

I had to use 3 different home daycares when I was not a SAHM or a daycare mom and all 3 providers I used were okay with me putting my child /children in Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays and just paying for those days. I wasn't using these providers simultaneously. I had to give up the first provider because we moved 20 minutes closer to my work, I gave up the second provider when I got preggo with Baby #2 and she said she was switching over to real estate by the time my 12 mo maternity would be over and I gave up provider #3 because my work schedule became flexible to the point where I could work from home and balance my work for evenings and weekends and not need daycare anymore.

Once I became a provider I also made sure that I would be open to parents who need part time so I could pay it forward. Ideally it is usually in the childs' best interest to spend as much time at their own home with their parents so if a parent can make a part time schedule work then I try to make it work. I do 3 kids part time, 1 after school only and 1 full time and it has worked well for me.

In retrospect now I would probably like to just do 2 full time children but I do appreciate the part time parents and I had 3 awesome providers who let me do that too so hubby and I could still have our child whenever we could and not go bankrupt
    Last edited by Spixie33; 05-06-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Euphoric !
    I have some part time children too. Boy comes Monday only and another comes other 4 days, one of my other spaces I have a child that uses 2 days and another family that uses 3 days. The difference here is that they are all paying for the days they use. Because the family only needs 3 days of care I am free to find another child that needs the other two days. If the family that booked three days needs more for that week I have to say sorry I can't help you because they didn't reserve them. If you want all five days available to you whether you use them regularly or just occassionally you need to book and pay for all the spaces every week.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    I have some part time children too. Boy comes Monday only and another comes other 4 days, one of my other spaces I have a child that uses 2 days and another family that uses 3 days. The difference here is that they are all paying for the days they use. Because the family only needs 3 days of care I am free to find another child that needs the other two days. If the family that booked three days needs more for that week I have to say sorry I can't help you because they didn't reserve them. If you want all five days available to you whether you use them regularly or just occasionally you need to book and pay for all the spaces every week.
    Oh okay. I thought you were implying that every part time parent should have to pay the 5 days a week. I definitely misunderstood

Euphoric !
    Maybe I am misunderstanding but it sounded like the person looking for care wanted three days a week every week and then wanted the caregiver to keep the other days open just in case they needed them which wouldn't be every week. When we only have 5 spaces we need to have pay per space but yes I usually save one space for a shared space. The advantage too is my rate for part time is more so two in the space actually pays more than for one but over the year both children get gifts, newsletters, etc so it balances out. The luck of finding a child that only needed one day a week was totally unexpected but his grandparents have him but wanted one day a week to do running around, meet their adult friends for lunch etc. so it works out well for all of us.

Starting to feel at home...
    I also have part time children. Part of why people choose home daycare is because of this flexibility. I also charge $5/day more for parttime children. I have one parttime who is set days but the other is not, so I cannot fill his 'off days'.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Emilys4Guppies For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Oh I never had luck filling in my part timers with other part-timers so I have part-timers and basically I do save a whole week spot for them. I did try to fill in the other days and advertised them for a while but I never had luck. A lot of people say they will fill in the spots but that they also need one or two days more and I can't risk too many kids overlapping on certain days. I don't want to be at over-capacity.

Similarly to the poster - I have had parents come and say they want 2 days and then possibly more later. One of the boys I watch started with 1 day a week and then moved to 3 days a week now.

I don't mind holding a whole spot for these part-timers because I don't operate at capacity anyways. My hat always goes off to any provider who does 5 kids a day plus their own. I don't think I could stay sane. lol

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilys4Guppies View Post
    I also have part time children. Part of why people choose home daycare is because of this flexibility. I also charge $5/day more for parttime children. I have one parttime who is set days but the other is not, so I cannot fill his 'off days'.
    I never had providers ask me more for part time and I never even thought of charging more for part time. That is interesting and something I may just think about down the road

It seems to be the 'norm' for around here, Spixie33. I see it all the time on the ads where the providers list their prices (I do not).

I find that part-time children take longer to adjust to care, especially if they are not on set days. I also spend the same for birthdays, holiday parties, ect, that all the children attend, so it works out in the end. It might be less work to have a child only part time, but it is sometimes more effort when they are here because of the acclimation time. I have a little guy from Wed-Fri and, even though he's happy as a clam come Friday, our Wednesdays are always tough on him. However, my fulltime children have much easier days because they are with me more than not, kwim?

Expansive...
    Sorry Emily....I am puzzling over the last 4 letters of your message? What is kwim?

Oh I'm sorry! Just computer-speak. KWIM=know what I mean.