Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another vaccination! WWYD?

I have a 8 month old who had another set of the MANY vaccines babies have to go through yesterday. When Mom dropped off this am, she said everything seemed fine yesterday and she did well this am too. About 1 minutes after drop off, she began to fuss, then scream. Each time I put her on the floor, in the crib or anywhere for that matter she seems to be in "pain", crying! This is not her nature and am sure she is either teething or having pain from the shots yesterday, either way...it is unconsolable. I have informed Mom and she is on her way with tylenol. How many of you would just have her go home for the day rather than have a dose of tylenol and Mom go back to work?

Euphoric !
    I have heard of some providers that have it in their policies that children must be vaccinated on Fridays then they are home for the weekend or they must stay home the following day. If the child is not able to cope in daycare then they should not be there .... What happens in four hours when the Tylenol wears off ..... See ya tomorrow !

Outgoing
    I dont generally send kids home unless they are vomitting/diarreah. The rest is just part of the job description. I make sure that parents provide a pain reliever to stay here to be administered at my discretion. Hopefully tylenol does the trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidlove View Post
    I have a 8 month old who had another set of the MANY vaccines babies have to go through yesterday. When Mom dropped off this am, she said everything seemed fine yesterday and she did well this am too. About 1 minutes after drop off, she began to fuss, then scream. Each time I put her on the floor, in the crib or anywhere for that matter she seems to be in "pain", crying! This is not her nature and am sure she is either teething or having pain from the shots yesterday, either way...it is unconsolable. I have informed Mom and she is on her way with tylenol. How many of you would just have her go home for the day rather than have a dose of tylenol and Mom go back to work?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gramma For This Useful Post:

The highest risk of adverse reaction from vaccine (which is far more prevalent that you could ever imagine) will happen in the first 24 hours from vaccination. For this reason I have a 48 hour vax policy. If you vaccinate your child they may NOT attend within 48 of having been vaccinated.

Did you know that vaccine-related death is almost NEVER called as such by a coroner? I NEVER want to be the daycare provider who goes in, after naptime, and finds a DEAD baby and then have to answer to the authorities for something that I did NOT do or had any control over.

I would send her home.

Starting to feel at home...
    I do the same. Unless she is vomiting/diarrhea or has a fever I would give her Tylenol with mom's permission and hope for a long nap!

Quote Originally Posted by gramma View Post
    The rest is just part of the job description.
    I don't agree. It is not our JOB to deal with an inconsolable child all day. If the child is inconsolable, with the exception of a newbie in transition, the child is therefore not fit to be in daycare.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I 100% agree Judy and I never administer Tylenol or advil not even for teething even if the patents ask me too. I do administer a dr perscribed medication like amoxil according to the directions on the bottle. But in my opinion if your child needs a pain reliever to make it through the day they shouldn't be at daycare. I think I am going to change my policies regarding vaccinations similar to judy's to at least 24 hours to maybe 48 hours.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    I don't administer tylenol either. I am under the belief that if we mask the pain we may miss something. Same with fevers. I dont' tylenol until the fever hits a high level. It's the bodies way of fighting off the infection, why would I get in the way of that?

I would have sent her home as well.

Especially considering there was a vaccination. You don't know what hurts, why she's crying. Too risky in my opionion. Better she's with mom to observe.

I have not made it a "policy" however I do highly suggest that parents vaccinate on Friday's so they can watch for side effects through the weekend.

Euphoric !
    I completely 100% agree with Judy. My contract states that I won't administer any over the counter drugs, only a prescription. My contract also states that vaccinations should be done on a Friday afternoon so that the child is home with the parents for the weekend. I explain at the interview that the parents would rather be with their child if they have any adverse reactions like fever, rash, or god forbid seizure or something worse, they wouldn't want their child at daycare.

Also, I have a family in care who don't vaccinate their child so it is my job to protect that child from others who may have been vaccinated with a virus that they could cough all over that child.

Kidlove, I hope you can make a change to your contract to save yourself this stress in the future.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Trickett View Post
    The highest risk of adverse reaction from vaccine (which is far more prevalent that you could ever imagine) will happen in the first 24 hours from vaccination. For this reason I have a 48 hour vax policy. If you vaccinate your child they may NOT attend within 48 of having been vaccinated.

Did you know that vaccine-related death is almost NEVER called as such by a coroner? I NEVER want to be the daycare provider who goes in, after naptime, and finds a DEAD baby and then have to answer to the authorities for something that I did NOT do or had any control over.

I would send her home.
    I have that in my policy too. No attendance for 48 hours after vaccinations.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/