Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Would you disclose special needs or exceptions about other kids with new parents

I am asking since my daughter has high functioning autism which results in many different strategies used for her in order to refrain from meltdowns and tantrums. She also exhibits a lot of hands on behavior when forgetting to use her words for more space.

Would you include this in meeting new clients. Part of me feels it is necessary since some different things need to happen for my daughter to function that may appear as favourtism but it isnt. My approach with my daughter is not always the same as the other kids (example my daughter needs to come through the garage to a special hook for her coat just for her while the other kids come through the front door. all the rushing and crowd of kids at the front becomes like a wall of pressure on her and she will melt down). Part of me doesnèt want to explain any of this to parents as it goes against my daughters rights on whether that should be disclosed at all. But perhaps sharing it would make people alot more understanding and have it that autism is out there and not hidden away somewhere.

I deeply agree with your last sentence. I think given your specific situation it would be necc to inform parent of your daughters needs. It sounds as if it will be a bigger part of the days for other children as well, i.e. them witnessing little fits, or recognizing her boundaries and special needs. If I were a parent and in meeting you, you informed me of your daughters needs, I would be thankful it was in the open and would encourage my child to help nurture her differences. Being honest is important and most autism cases do need extra care and attention, therefor, letting others know will allow them to understand and help her and you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

I would go at it from a different angle - it is truly none of thei business if your child or any other child has special needs - however the fact that you have experience and a program set up to support varied needs IS a selling feature so I would focus on that when touring as my guess is the special things you have in place for he will benefit ALL so focus on that.

For example while touring my playroom I would say experience working with various children has shown me that labelling toy shelfs with photo such as this helps children to self regulate, reduces stress etc which is specially helpful with a chip with Autism or ADHD. The fact I may or may not HAVE a child like that currently is irrelevant

If they choose you and it later comes up you did disclose that the program was equipped to support a child with autism - it just happens to be your own
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Not sue what is up with the R on phone??? Did not post in half that post??
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I think you should follow your intuition and gut and decide when you meet the families in the interview how much you want to disclose. Remembering of course that the parents want to know that their child will be getting all of your attention and letting them know that your child will mix in with the group well should help ease their concerns.

You don't have to go into great details or personal information about your family and your life, but it's important that your clients know that they can trust you and it's important for you that you choose parents who will be understanding and supportive and work with you. I'm sure you have enough stress in your life, so you need clients with huge hearts!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have the information about my daughter right in my about us page of info I give the parents. My rationale is I want to weed out those adults that can not come to grips with a special child right off the bat. To start them into care and then find out they have this kind of prejudice would sour the relationship such that I couldn't continue to work with them so better to send them on their way now. I do include as my last sentence about her that there is nothing in her care that is excessive in the sense of taking away time form the daycare.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Hi there, I have a 12 year old son, and a 9 year old daughter - both are autistic. I do not divulge this information to parents - especially during the interview stage. The hard truth of it is there are lots of caregivers out there. Everyone has a pre-conceived stereotype about what autism looks like - be it Rainman or a child repetitively chanting. I can't take the chance that a parent will rule me and my daycare out because they are worried about autism and what impact being around autistic children may have on their own child. I have a couple of families who have been with me now for two years and they are none the wiser. I am an excellent caregiver, and their children are thriving in my care. That said, I am allowed to keep some things private, and I feel that my children's medical conditions is one such thing.

Euphoric !
    If your child is school age and gone most of the day that makes a difference too. My daughter is home with me all day. I homeschooled her as best we could - she is 19 years old and at the toddler level so just learned along with the daycare although at this point she has pretty much learned what she will. The fact she was IN the daycare all day was the reason I felt it was important to make that fact clear - sort of like saying oh by the way here are the other people that will constantly be in the home while your child is here.

Outgoing
    I think that its necessary to tell prospective clients about your daughter. I dont think its a negative and most parents probably wont either but its that few who will find out later and use it as an excuse to leave. They have no control if there are special needs children in a classroom and this should be no different but it is a service that they are paying for and they should be able to make an informed choice. I dont really think that it goes against your daughters rights to tell your clients, in fact by keeping it hidden it may give the appearance that it is something to be ashamed of. You need to be prepared that people are not educated on autism and at first it might be something that scares them off, which is why it is so important for you to disclose as much information as possible that they are making an educated choice. best of luck to you.

[IUOTE=MeMe;31090]I am asking since my daughter has high functioning autism which results in many different strategies used for her in order to refrain from meltdowns and tantrums. She also exhibits a lot of hands on behavior when forgetting to use her words for more space.

Would you include this in meeting new clients. Part of me feels it is necessary since some different things need to happen for my daughter to function that may appear as favourtism but it isnt. My approach with my daughter is not always the same as the other kids (example my daughter needs to come through the garage to a special hook for her coat just for her while the other kids come through the front door. all the rushing and crowd of kids at the front becomes like a wall of pressure on her and she will melt down). Part of me doesnèt want to explain any of this to parents as it goes against my daughters rights on whether that should be disclosed at all. But perhaps sharing it would make people alot more understanding and have it that autism is out there and not hidden away somewhere.[/QUOTE]