Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Full time to part time and back again.

I am a provider and have a wonderful family in my care. They have two children. Recently the parent asked me if I would drop both kids to part time care for the summer as they won't be around much, then put them back to full time in September again.

Would any providers here do that? I figure if I can fill two other part time spots for the summer only, that won't be a problem. If I can't then the parent needs to give notice or pay their full time rate.

What you do you other providers think?

Euphoric !
    A lot depends on demand in your area. If you can fill the spots then tell them that and take your chances if they pull out. Also what is the reason for going part time in the summer - teachers get a full years worth of pay just given over 10 months so they should pay for a full year of care either with summer fees or higher Sept to June fees. Whatever you do make sure it is a set amount per week to hold the spot and then an amount per day they come so you are guaranteed the income such as half the rate and then the balance for a full day for any day they come.

Expansive...
    Personally...for my daycare...I would do it. They are still coming part time and I would enjoy having more time with my OWN kids during the summer and enjoying the nice weather. I could manage that financially.

In my Daycare Handbook I actually offer teachers the summer off with no pay. I just hold their deposit for the summer. I don't mind having more time in the summer with my kids.

I guess it really depends on you and whether the part time will make a big effect on you financially. You don't want to lose a good family just because of a few summer months.

You might find someone else to fill in the other part time spots if you advertise now

Euphoric !
    That is a toughie.... for me, my 2 school aged boys are home during the summer, so it actually works out if I have a teacher's kid or two. But it can be difficult to lose that income. I know some providers ask for a portion of the regular fee, so that the spot is held. Most teachers I know have thier pay structured so that they still get paid something during the summer (they can take a higher salary Sept to June, or get paid slightly less all 12 months). If they pay you a certain amount, perhaps you can extend the offer that the child can come up to a certain number of days per week or days per month?

I guess it depends where you are...when I set up my fee schedule for teachers I spoke with my aunt first, a teacher of 30 years in the Toronto District. They get paid every 2 weeks, all year around there.

I have done the math for the various ways DCP work out teachers fees....some add on $5/day and then no fees for the summer. Some get paid 1/2 fees all summer long. This works out to the same amount of money, actually...$980/year. My policy is that teachers pay for stat holidays, full price for Christmas break and March break, and then they get the summers free. It works out to slightly less than the other two options at $760/year.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

I would allow them to drop to PT but with NO guarantee that they will be able to keep that spot or go FT in the fall.

If I could fill that spot(s) I would do it too.

Parents need to realize this is our income. If they want a spot held for them then they have to pay for it.

Well I gave her the part time spaces for the summer in lieu of her taking over the day home for me three days in the summer to take my son somewhere special. She just went back to work from mat leave so that affected her income this summer.

She has taken over the day home in the past in lieu of her fees to save her money during mat leave so the kids know her and love her. She has been with my day home for three years.

This is the family I would do almost anything for. I did advertise right away and had multiple replies. I don't take many families at my day home however. Those that have a permissive or rigid style of parenting don't seem to do well here. I didn't want any of the families that came by. I spoke with the parent about it and she understood perfectly.

Part of my decision was that I was recently very sick and had to take two days off of work. She was so gracious about it and I really appreciated it. I felt the need to be gracious with her as well.

Expansive...
    I think you made a good call