Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Shy
    Sunnydays, we didn't discuss in detail the breakdown of the mentioned breaks and fees during the interview, as she was only doing supply work at the time. However, she just got a full time position at a school beginning January, and emailed me yesterday, how I go about charging for summer, March and Christmas break. I let her know last night that fees remain the same, and that she would have the option of bringing her daughter in. This was through email, and she hasn't responded as of yet...her husband drops off and picks up their daughter, and he's pretty much always in and out the door during drop off time in the morning.
    Bright Sparks, if you charge 50% retainer, does that allow you to take on another child during the summer months, if by chance, short term summer care is wanted by another family?? Although I'm comfortable for now financially, I can't see this benefitting me, should I decide to charge half price for the summer... Although, should they choose to pursue another daycare, that really wouldn't benefit me either I suppose
    On another note, TGIF..have a wonderful weekend everyone! Thank you for your responses. I absolutely LOVE this site!

Euphoric !
    I have had teachers say to me that they would just rather terminate care over the summer rather than pay (even part time fees) and then just take their chances that the spot is still open. Needless to say I didn't accept those families into care.

Quote Originally Posted by latte30 View Post
    Bright Sparks, if you charge 50% retainer, does that allow you to take on another child during the summer months, if by chance, short term summer care is wanted by another family?? Although I'm comfortable for now financially, I can't see this benefitting me, should I decide to charge half price for the summer... Although, should they choose to pursue another daycare, that really wouldn't benefit me either I suppose
    Neither benefits the provider. You can compromise with the 50% retainer, but it is of no benefit to us, other than assuring their return in September, but nothing can really guarantee that either. The chances of getting any kind of summer only care, in my experience is limited. Usually school age children, but its hard for me to cater to them and the babies both efficiently. If you charge full rate, I'm with Crayola, they don't want to pay. There aren't to many parent's who see it as a worthwhile expense if it guarantees a spot with a quality provider, consistant care from someone they know, and in the best interest of the child. If you really don't need the money right now, I would advertise and fill the spot. I don't mean to be awful, but either she's going to end up letting you down or you let her down by giving her notice and explaining that you are no longer able to meet all her requirements. I have taken 3 teachers on in my 5 years and I will no longer entertain them as a prospective client, even if they say they will pay full rate all year round. Inevitably, they are high risk to realize one day how much extra money they are spending and leave.

Starting to feel at home...
    If you decide that you would like to have a lighter summer, what you could do is tell her you will only charge her full fees for xmas and march break and let her take the child out for the summer and hold her space over the summer with a deposit. You could go further and tell her she has to pay for xmas and March break without bringing her child in exchange for you holding her spot over the summer. This way you get a little paid holiday at those times. Don't forget to take a deposit to ensure she returns in September.

Euphoric !
    While I do believe there is a risk...I did have a teacher family with two kids in my care (before i moved) and they actually did pay for the entire summer full-time to save their spots...they sent their kids pretty much full-time as well. But you just never know if they will honour that or not, so I see your point!

Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    Neither benefits the provider. You can compromise with the 50% retainer, but it is of no benefit to us, other than assuring their return in September, but nothing can really guarantee that either. The chances of getting any kind of summer only care, in my experience is limited. Usually school age children, but its hard for me to cater to them and the babies both efficiently. If you charge full rate, I'm with Crayola, they don't want to pay. There aren't to many parent's who see it as a worthwhile expense if it guarantees a spot with a quality provider, consistant care from someone they know, and in the best interest of the child. If you really don't need the money right now, I would advertise and fill the spot. I don't mean to be awful, but either she's going to end up letting you down or you let her down by giving her notice and explaining that you are no longer able to meet all her requirements. I have taken 3 teachers on in my 5 years and I will no longer entertain them as a prospective client, even if they say they will pay full rate all year round. Inevitably, they are high risk to realize one day how much extra money they are spending and leave.