Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expansive...

Gifts for Daycare Children

HI...just wondering whether you plan to gift your daycare kids and if so....what?

I have got these Melissa and Doug fashion plates for my 2 three year old DCGs. They love art and barbies etc so with these fashion plates you can rub over the plates and create your own outfits/girls to then colour in.

I have no idea what to get for a 3 year old boy, a 2 year old girl and a 1 year old boy though.

My mind is completely blank. I usually budget about $20 per child.

Hoping some others will share their ideas to inspire me. I wish I had it done already.

I take a trip round toysrus generally. I was so lucky last year. They had the leapfrog fridge phonics on sale for half price, so cost $15 a piece BARGAIN!!

I also make them a stocking up with goodies. This year I got a couple of my younger ones stickle bricks from cost-co for $15 each. Not sure about the others yet.

Outgoing
    This is my first year so I haven't gone through a Christmas yet, but I confess it didn't occur to me to buy the children gifts. Now I'm wondering if this is common. I should say that my family doesn't make a big deal out of Christmas gifts as we focus on celebrating the birth of Christ. So my entire Christmas budget for my own family is usually $100 plus the cost of the food for dinner. I have no extended family. It's not that I'm cheap (well, I am, but that isn't the reason). We've just never gotten involved in the whole commercialization of Christmas, and have often taken a family trip instead of gifts (which did cost a lot more money, yes). So, here I am, wondering if it is common to buy presents for the daycare children, all of whom I like very much, but just hadn't thought about doing anything for Christmas.

Euphoric !
    I don't buy expensive gifts, but do give them a little something...either something we have made (gingerbread cookies) or a couple of little things from the dollar store...colouring books and crayons, etc. I don't spend more than $5-10 per kid as is isn't always appreciated as much as I would like and it ends up costing a lot times 5 kids. I do make gifts with the kids to give to their parents. I think this year I'll go the route of gingerbread men for each kid (maybe replace that with something else for the babies).

apples and bananas
    I try to stay within the $10.00 mark, but I take time to look for good sales on educationtional items so I don't look cheap. LOL I find they get so many toys I don't want to just add to the clutter. I really like the crayola kits with the marker or paint that only works on their paper. The kids love it! It's mess free and it's not something that's going to hang around the house forever.

Going to keep it simple (& cheap) this year...a mason jar full of gingerbread playdough with Christmas themed cookie cutters attached (a Pinterest idea) and a clear Christmas ball (ornament for the tree) with a piece of their artwork in it and their name/year stenciled on the outside.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Dream, thanks for the idea of the ornament, I think I will use that for the kids to make for their parents. Awsome!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Chapters has awesome floor ( HUGE) puzzles for $ 10. I bought each kid a different Cat in the Hat themed puzzle, with a $10 chapters gift card. I will send home a batch of snickerdoodles ( my all time favorite cookie to eat and bake) the Friday before Christmas.

I do NOT believe in god never have and never will but I love Christmas and for us the focus is on Family Friends, Food and Fun and we do not buy big expensive gifts and we follow the
    Something you want, Something you need, Something to Wear and Something to read Christmas idea.
    My stepkids are greedy and I refuse to buy them more than that and I do not want my toddler growning up thinking Christmas is only about how many presents are under the tree, the less she gets the better. I asked my family to buy a toy in her honour for a local toy drive so that every Child wakes up to a suprise Christmas morning

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DORITOSGIRL For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Love the gingerbread playdough and cookie cutter idea!!! I may have to steal that one

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

I used to do gifts for the kids typically a book and something 'creative art' related to enjoy at home and tried to keep it under $15 a kid ... but they have SO MUCH stuff and well I was finding more and more they did not really 'enjoy' the stuff they got it got tossed aside when opened and they went back to playing ... children today lack a true appreciation for how lucky they are so I decided to change my focus of Christmas to promote that value!

So I decided to 'adopt an angel tree boy and girl' and I take my crew out and we pick out a gift for the child in need and place it under the tree and have a discussion about how happy this will make the other children and we are so blessed to have so much that we can afford to do this and still get lots of nice gifts.

Last year in addition to this we also sent a child to school in Africa with a donation.

I still buy the children a 'book' from me to share my love of reading with them and put a little 'quote in it' about their time here should the parent keep it as a keepsake over the years ~ but it is from the Samko Sales and usually under $2 a child.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post: