Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Outgoing
    Hey Sunnydays ... do the parents insist you speak to the child in french ? Coz kids will learn fast and they will learn by watching the others speak as well so he will immitate them., If it was me, I would want my child to learn a second language as well. So, just use the terms you are comfortable with...he'll get it after a few repetition.

By the way if you find a good way to get him to say please and thanks (eng and french non matter) ...let me know coz I have this 2 year old who refuses to say it... he's they only one after 2months still will not say it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to crafty For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    No they don't insist on it...but I like it because I am now practicing my French and the other kids are learning it too He only started with me two months ago, so had no English at that time...he is picking it up already from the other kids and mixes the language now...he often says things like "C'est coming" when we are waiting for my son's bus...so cute I just refuse to give them whatever it is they want until they say "please" and then I hold onto it until they say "thank you"...now it does take awhile before they say it without me having to remind them...but eventually they get there

Quote Originally Posted by crafty View Post
    Hey Sunnydays ... do the parents insist you speak to the child in french ? Coz kids will learn fast and they will learn by watching the others speak as well so he will immitate them., If it was me, I would want my child to learn a second language as well. So, just use the terms you are comfortable with...he'll get it after a few repetition.

By the way if you find a good way to get him to say please and thanks (eng and french non matter) ...let me know coz I have this 2 year old who refuses to say it... he's they only one after 2months still will not say it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Sunnydays, I have a baby who has just joined my daycare whose parents only speak French at home. My high school French is pretty much long forgotten, but I'm teaching him English and at his age he's soaking it up like a little sponge. I just thought it was funny to read your post and I may have to come to you some day soon to ask about French if this little boy starts saying words I don't understand.

Euphoric !
    I have a baby whose family speaks only French at home too...but he doesn't talk yet, so it's not really an issue. I speak both English and French to him and I know he will learn. The other one is older and a big talker, so I definitely need to use French to communicate. If I didn't speak French at all, I am sure he would learn English faster...but as I said, I like being forced to speak it And it feels good that he understands me...makes me feel like my french is not that bad

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    Sunnydays, I have a baby who has just joined my daycare whose parents only speak French at home. My high school French is pretty much long forgotten, but I'm teaching him English and at his age he's soaking it up like a little sponge. I just thought it was funny to read your post and I may have to come to you some day soon to ask about French if this little boy starts saying words I don't understand.

You can say like the others mentioned, "Faire semblant de..." or you can say "On va pretendre de faire ceci ou cela... It's from the verb "Pretendre" which means pretend in English. Hope that helps