Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

French help please!

Okay, I need a little help from those of you who speak fluent French! I speak an intermediate level and my husband is francophone and my kids go to French school (but my little guy is in Maternelle so can't help me much yet and my husband is not from Canada, so sometimes doesn't know either in teh context of Canadian French). I have a 2 year old who speaks only French in my daycare and we do okay most of the time...he understands my French and I understand his. But, I often tell the kids to "just pretend"...for example when they ar eplaying with play food or playdough...I don't want them to actually put it in their mouths. How would I say "pretend" in French? I asked his mom, but she didn't come up with much of use...he obviously doesn't already know the word as she has never used it with him. I might just use the English and he will catch on, but would like to know what my fellow Francophone caregivers use! Thanks!

Outgoing
    There isin't really a word ....You need to say ''Faire samblant de manger... '' or 'Faire comme si on mangeait ...''

I"m french and I say this all the time ;0)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to crafty For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Did you try google translate

Crayola, its not as simple as translating as a lot of the language doesn't translate literally.

Euphoric !
    Can't you tell I'm not french ?? Lol
    I should ask my 8 yr old he speaks French all day !

My 11 yr old daughter is in french immersion and 2 years ago I took a french grammar course at night school....super hard. Thats the way I know that theres so many exceptions lol

Outgoing
    Yeah a lot of the times there's no actual words to translate to but more like a combination of actions/verbs.

Outgoing
    yeah, crafty's right, except it's with an e...on fait semblant. Au jourd'hui je fais semblant que je veux travailler!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gcj For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    LOL Oh yes ... sorry I can't even write in french now ... I guess aujourd'hui je fais semblant être Française

12. The Following User Says Thank You to crafty For This Useful Post:

gcj

Euphoric !
    Merci beaucoup!!! I'm not sure if that will roll of my tongue easily...but I'll try it. If not, I'll resort to the English since he doesn't know the term in French either yet unless his previoud daycare provider used it...which is possible. I have had to resort to English for a few things...he refused to say "si te plait" (sorry for my spelling), but will say "please" so I go with that....I guess he doesn't have to say it at home. Same for "sorry"...I was trying to get him to say it in French in every way I could think of and just a blank stare...until I talked to his mom and found out they've never made him say it...so he now says that in English as well as it's a new concept to him anyway. And yes, google translator is okay for some words, but some concepts are not easily translated...and then you have to know which word or phrase to choose out of the list given...it depends on context!