Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Smile Found a Family, just don't know if I can have them

As I have stated in another thread, I have a dcg who hasn't started yet and I will not find out until sometime on Monday if she will. (my adviser and I can't get a hold of the parents) So I started interviewing, and letting the parents know that I would not know until Monday if the spot was open or not.

The first interview went great I was happy with the family and the little girl seemed to really like me. They are suppose to email me before Monday to let me know if they would like the spot or not.

The 2nd interview, I loved this family and there little girl. At the end of the interview I asked if that if they were interested to let me know before Monday. Well the father just said: Yes, we think this place is great. I smiled and said thank you and asked for them to talk it over and check out my website (all my policies are listed on it). Both the mother and father almost at the same time said "we love your site. its the reason we called you" they loved who I had everything "up front" for them to see and so business like. They already have subsidy so I don't have to wait for them to get it. I really want this family, but I will not know until I speak to my adviser sometime on Monday if I will have a under 2 spot open. This sucks

I do have another interview on Sunday as well that would fill two spots, but unsure about the mom. there was something about the phone call that has me uneasy, just not sure what it is. So I made and interview anyways, I am new at this so maybe I just missed read her. will find out on Sunday.

I really hope that the 18month old that was suppose to be here by now, doesn't come. I really think that the 2nd family I interviewed would be a much better fit.

I hate waiting

Euphoric !
    So I am a little confused because I am not familiar with all the ins and outs of agencies .... Do you have to take what they give you or can you fill the spot on your own .... Because it seems to me if the people from the second interview want the spot and they have their pen and cheque book in hand why not sign them and when the agency people call (if they call) on monday just say " oh I'm sorry the spot has been filled " .

Hmmm ~ having been in the field and dealing with subsidy for decades ~ that mama you are waiting on is going to be a PITA .... sorry but subsidized daycare spots are a PREIMUM and everyone KNOWS that so if they REALLY were motivated to have a spot in your program would be jumping through hoops to get their subsidy in order and get into your program!

Not to sound stereotypical or judgmental but that is the only way I can say this .... there are two types of people who use subsidy ... those who feel ENTITLED to it and think they can take their sweet ass time filling out paper work on their end, can forget to fill stuff out and think that the rest of us should just WAIT and when we do not and they loose their subsidy or loose the spot than they BITCH because it is everyone elses fault that they can no not work or go to school .... you do not WANT that kind of client in your program because they end up loosing their subsidy with no warning and you get NO NOTICE that the kid is going to be done!

Than there are those who are truly appreciative of the fact we have a system such as this ... they do everything BEFORE being asked to ensure they do not loose their subisdy or their space because they are truly GRATEFUL for the assistance ... your family you just interviewed sounds like this type ... I would be telling my advisor they are the better match and you do not CARE what the first client ends up wanting you WANT the other client!!!!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I would be putting the new family and your advisor in touch with each other and at this point you have taken enough time and tries to reach the other family and you deserve to take the one that wants you now.

Crayola kiddies -- The agencies send me family's that I interview. I decide if I want them or not.

Because it seems to me if the people from the second interview want the spot and they have their pen and cheque book in hand why not sign them and when the agency people call (if they call) on monday just say " oh I'm sorry the spot has been filled " .
    they need a subsidized spot, so no cheque book, but they did want to sign.

The family that is a no-show, I had interviewed and they had signed my contract. they had to go to subsidy and meet with my adviser to fill out other paperwork. That was back in early Oct. I haven't heard from them since (i have tried to get a hold of them). I told my adviser that I could not hold the spot any longer then this Friday. So my adviser tried calling them, got no answer but left a few messages telling the parents they had until today to let us know what was going on or they will loose the spot. My adviser doesn't work on Fridays, so I will not know anything until Monday. I have already emailed my adviser that I have found a new family, so we will see what happens on Monday.

I would be telling my advisor they are the better match and you do not CARE what the first client ends up wanting you WANT the other client!!!!
    if they hadn't already signed my contract I would do that. But since its signed I feel like I have to keep my word and take them ONLY if they have contacted my adviser today.

I do now have a new subsidy policy:
    if you are looking for a subsidy spot you have 24hours (business days) to make your appointments with both my adviser and subsidy and inform me via email of when your meetings are scheduled. if you do not do this I will replace you. You Must email me after each appointment to inform me of the progress and your start date. if you do not do this I will replace you.
    Make sure that you have checked the subsidy website before you attend your appointment, if you forget to take any paperwork or don't have all the information you need I will not wait for you to get it and make another appointment I will replace you. Once you have all your appointments done you will meet with me before your start date to full out all my paperwork and contract.

The first family has emailed me back stating that they would really like the spot if it opens up.
    I go from no family's to having two want the same spot, that I don't even know I had.

Good for you for putting a policy in place to protect yourself and make it clear the communication expectations ... Has there been ANY communication with the first October family since they interviewed and signed contract???

Cause IMO if no money was exchanged to secure that space and no cummuncuation since she signed it - than the first persons lack of communication for over a month now should null your contract - if you went in and put an offer in on a used car and said I just need to get approved financincing and than never went back for a MONTH , did not return the business phone calls promptly you can bet your ass the dealer would SELL that car to the next person who came in and if you did show up months later stupid enough to expect it to be there they would tell you tough - snooze you loose!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

BTW ... when I worked in centre care it was not uncommon for parents to "sign contact \ commit to a space" at SEVERAL DAYCARES to make sure they got a space somewhere while hoping for their 1st choice to open up ... this is one of the reasons why daycares now have a sizeable non refundable security deposit to secure that space ... making people like that put their money where their mouth is so to speak cause while we can empathize with wanting your first choice this is people's finances you are messing with making the others think you want a space with them and they are turning others away thinking they'd commited to them

Not sure how it works NOW but back in the day until they were coming to an interview with papers signed they had to start as a feeing paying parent - aka they paid the security deposit to secure the spot, if the spot was open now they paid fees for if and than WHEN\IF subsidy was approved and if they back paid the centre than that money got refunded and if subsidy did not backdate. than the client was considered a normal client for that period and given a tax receipt for fees they'd paid and so forth until changing to a subsidized client.

Even non profit centres cannot operate in red offering services for FREE of holding spaces for subsidized clients ...they have staff to pay and so forth !!
    Loris Malaguzzi

Yeah, I'd take the fact that they signed on but never came back to you as a void of the contract. Who does that?? It's just disrespectful. I'd absolutely go with the other family. I really like your amendment. It covers your butt well. Good luck. If you can at all avoid it, I'd not welcome the first family into care. This might very well be a scary precedent of how they will be treating you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post: