Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Colds and coughs for over a month!

Ugh! I've had a cold/cough cycling through here for over a month now. Dcks got it first, then me, then my kids... and it's just not going. I'm sick and tired of being on drippy nose patrol. I feel like I should get one of those western style gun slinger belts with a roll of toilet paper in each side! Siiigh. It doesn't help that my dcb is teething and drooling everywhere! I feel like I need to disinfect the whole house! How long do cold viruses survive on surfaces anyhow? Has anyone dealt with a cold/cough that lasted this long? How the heck do I beat this thing?

I can recommend something that is FREAKIN' AWESOME lol

Sambucol...It is an anti viral and is good for the treatment of colds and flus and also to prevent them.

It cuts down the recovery time by half and if taken at the first sign of cold or flu, so body aches, sore throat, peppery feeling in your nose etc etc, You can prevent it from actually setting in. Usually takes 3 days of medicine if you catch it right at the start.

Sambucol ladies, not Sambuca which only gives temporary initial relief, then enhanced symptoms after tehe...... Is Black Eldeberry Extract and was recommended to me by a PHARMACIST!! Yes how crazy is that. A pharmacist recommending a natural product over anything else out their is a rarety as it goes against everything they have learn't.

I have used it for about 5 years now and it really really works. Its expensive at $20 a bottle, but I promise it works. If you take this for a week and see no improvement in your sore throat, the chances are it isn't a cold and you've got strep throat or similar. Best thing to do is catch it as early as possible and dose up and your illness will never happen.

15 mls 3 times a day for adults and I give it to my kids who are 9 and 11 and I have lots of friends who give it as young as age 2 in a slightly lower dosage. There is a child formula which has the different dosage listed. Best part for me is that it is completely natural, and for those who require it, its also kosher

I buy it in the healthfood aisles at Superstore but its also available from Whole foods and most healthfood stores. There are other brand names selling it so just buy any that is Black Eldeberry extract if Sambucol isn't available. Its just the same, and might even be cheaper.

Get well soon.

Euphoric !
    I am having the same problem! Two months now!!! It's just one cold after another and we had Roseola thrown in there in the middle as well...great! We have a few days reprieve and then we are all getting the cold again I actually bought the Smabucal mentioned above for my kids (kids version) last time, but I'm not sure if it helped...I need to try it again. This has been a very bad start to the cold/flu season!

Outgoing
    Oregano oil also helps. Unfortunately, it's also expensive. I think about $17 for a 15ml bottle. Same thing, though, take it when you start to feel something coming on. It helps with respiratory things, such as cold and flu, and I think it's also supposed to help with bacterial infections. Completely safe for kids to take as it's only oregano, but it's spicy and bitter, so best taken with a spoonful of honey.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JennJubie For This Useful Post:

I know a lot of people who swear by Oregano oil but Ive never needed it so far as the sambucol has been sufficient. I have never bought the kids version sunnydays. Always given my kids the adult stuff as its the same but given them 10 mls 3 times a day instead of the adult dose which is 15 mls.

Euphoric !
    I just looked at the bottle and it is not Smabucal after all but an echinecea based thing. I guess I'll be off to the health food store this evening

Starting to feel at home...
    Off to the health store this evening too! LOL. Thanks for the tips. But I can't help but wonder, what would be the good of me doing this if the other kids still have colds and are here every day?? Can I insist for their parents to try this too?

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    I just looked at the bottle and it is not Smabucal after all but an echinecea based thing. I guess I'll be off to the health food store this evening
    I have spoken to a naturopathic doctor and a holistic nutritionist who have both told me that echineca really isn't something to take over a long period of time, even though cold fx market it as a defense to take throughout cold and flu season.

Quote Originally Posted by jazmic View Post
    But I can't help but wonder, what would be the good of me doing this if the other kids still have colds and are here every day?? Can I insist for their parents to try this too?
    Thats a good point. I don't typically suggest things like this and certainly never insist. When parents ask me, I tell them that this is what I take. I have had 3 families give it to their children with great results but I have made it quite clear that its not my reccomendation as that is not part of my job. I also suggest at the same time that they speak to a pharmacist about it. Usually pharmacies that stock it are usually very familiar with it, hence why they stock it. This prevents me from being liable. Just passing on information without being pushy and letting them know at the same time that this works wonders for my family and everyone else I know taking it.

If the kids are sick all the time too parents would likely welcome advice on something 'natural' that can work to help alleviate symptoms!

I know all my clients now use the natural teething remedies, the swear by Arnica for helping to heal cuts and bruises cause these are all things that I use and work for me so I shared with them!

So if the Sambuca nigra plant or Elderberry plant or whatever name they are using for it is something you have seen first hand positive effects with for reducing cold symptoms and it is 'natural and safe for children' than for sure share that with clients ... I know one of my previous clients swore by Corazillia drops for reducing colds.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi