Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Hair - When kids can't see!

I have this adorable cherub of a boy in my daycare. His hair is full of luscious curls and he really has these little angel cherub curls. The problem is that the parents seem to be reluctant to cut his hair and cut away these beautiful hair but the kids really can barely see out of his eyes. The hair hangs almost to his nose and is always in his eyes. In the winter it was okay because I would put his winter hat on and sweep the hair under it so he could see when we went for walks or to play but now the hair is just blowing all over his face and I know he can't see.

I have had the hair dresser give me long bangs before and it is annoying to have them hang come in front of your line of vision so I know how he feels. I can also understand that these kids have Celine Dion syndrome (reluctance to cut their first child's hair regularly).

I have been racking my brain on what to say or how to say it to not offend them or sound complaining but I really do feel bad for the boy. On the other hand parents are so sensitive and anything I say could be offensive. If he at least had bangs above his eyes and left the rest of his hair long it would be soooooo much better. People even joke when I go for walks with him and say 'can he see?' ahhhhh

If it was me, I would tell the parents that their son is having a hard time playing an interacting with the other children, and suggest to get his hair cut. Joke about how others ask how the little girl is......

If they don't react the way you want them to - like getting the kids hair cut, I would put elastics in his hair so he could see and play. Then see what the parents do when they pick up their son! lol

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Play and Learn View Post
    If it was me, I would tell the parents that their son is having a hard time playing an interacting with the other children, and suggest to get his hair cut. Joke about how others ask how the little girl is......

If they don't react the way you want them to - like getting the kids hair cut, I would put elastics in his hair so he could see and play. Then see what the parents do when they pick up their son! lol
    LOL about the elastics. We were at the park this morning and I was watching him trying to see hos playmates and I was seriously visualizing whether I should get him one of those sport hairbands that would pull his hair back. lol The poor little guy. I can imagine that the hair must be scratching against his eyeballs sometimes and that is just not a good feeling

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Play and Learn View Post

I was going to suggest you do the exact same thing lol !

Starting to feel at home...
    "You must love these curls!! He's so angelic with them. Will it be emotionally hard for you when he gets his summer haircut? I was wreck when I had to cut my first son's hair so he could see properly...but don't you think they look like such sweet little men with fresh cuts?"

I would just work it into the conversation something like that. It's a great time of year to mention a summer cut.

I would avoid mentioning he looks like a girl, or putting elastics in his hair. In the end, it is just hair. And if he's really uncomfortable then his parents will see that soon enough on evenings and weekends. How old is he? Old enough to complain himself?

Otherwise, I would just put a hat on him. Ideally, all the kids should be wearing hats outside anyway, so just continue to tuck it under his sunhat.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Expansive...
    I would put a baseball cap on him and tuck his hair up as a first option, if it didn't work I would ask what his parents do at home for the problem

Euphoric !
    Yeah, I don't know if I would say or do anything, unless you feel like it is a safety concern. Is he running into things or falling down and tripping over stuff? Then I might mention it. I don't think I would put elastics into his hair, unless I took them out before mom and dad got there!
    I used to have a little girl with the same issue. I did put her hair into a clip or ponytail, but only because she was extremely pigeon-toed and kind of clumsy. She had a hard enough time as it was with walking, nevermind having hair in her face!
    I would definitely be tucking it up under a cap or hat while outside, though.

Euphoric !
    My son had the full head of curls. Everyone told me that after the first cut the curls would be gone and that would be it. His one set of grandparents wasn't able to come and visit us the second year till he was nearly 2 so for that whole time I didn't cut his hair cause the curls came from grandpa. I did trim just the front ones to be above his eyes though. Funny thing is he is now turning 23 and still has a head full of curls and this is many many hair cuts later. Even when he gets it cut quite short for the summer - he is a soccer player and doesn't want it in the way - the curls always come back. But I do know for many kids that little wispy baby curls once gone are gone. But it sounds like this little guy has permanent curly hair too.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-in-alberta View Post
    Yeah, I don't know if I would say or do anything, unless you feel like it is a safety concern. Is he running into things or falling down and tripping over stuff? Then I might mention it. I don't think I would put elastics into his hair, unless I took them out before mom and dad got there!
    I used to have a little girl with the same issue. I did put her hair into a clip or ponytail, but only because she was extremely pigeon-toed and kind of clumsy. She had a hard enough time as it was with walking, nevermind having hair in her face!
    I would definitely be tucking it up under a cap or hat while outside, though.
    It is a safety concern too. This little guy does fall down a lot. I am not sure 100% if it is the hair or whether it is just that he is a bundle of energy who hasn't quite caught up with the motor skills and balance to match but I am sure the hair doesn't help.

the day after I posted his mom walked in and said " I know ! I know! I need to cut his bangs!" I almost had a heart attack thinking she had read the forum. lol But one week later and still no hair cut.

we were at the park yesterday and he was on a piece of play equipment where there is a step up to the next level. I swear he didn't see it and fell and bumped his forehead. It was not good.

Playfelt - I never heard that about curls not coming back. I am pretty sure his are the real deal. His hair is really thick. It is not thin curly baby fine hair. He has some serious hair going on -- hair that most women would kill for. lol

Euphoric !
    Then it sounds like the real thing. Shawn's hair goes into the tightest tiny ringlets when wet - he hates it,lol. I have 4 kids - 3 girls and 1 boy - guess which one got the curls. My oldest girl has long thick red hair which she loves. My hubby's dad had the same curls as a boy so he comes by it genetically.