I think the first year is the hardest because it is trying to get families signed on.... Some are lucky and they fill up fast because of the need vs. Availability in their area but in general the first year is hard. It seems overwhelming when you have three or four spots to fill as opposed to just one especially if you need to be full in order to make ends meet. So I think at least a year is a good judge of "is this what I really want". I found it difficult to be tied down. I don't live in a sub division and I don't have the option to go to libraries, play groups, local parks, ect.... so I am at home all day. I also found it difficult because my weekends were tied up with house work, groceries, laundry, errands, extra circular actives for my kids, ect that I never had any down time and was actually looking forward to Monday's for a break. I shortened my hours and hired a house cleaning service to come in once every two weeks. I do one load of laundry Wednesday and Thursday night and then the rest I do on Sunday. I cut back on the big meals I was preparing through the week for my family dinner which created a lot of dishes instead something like soup and grilled cheese sandwiches was perfect. I had to simplify my days to help me adjust and now I have a routine and a full daycare and things are great.