Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    I think the first year is the hardest because it is trying to get families signed on.... Some are lucky and they fill up fast because of the need vs. Availability in their area but in general the first year is hard. It seems overwhelming when you have three or four spots to fill as opposed to just one especially if you need to be full in order to make ends meet. So I think at least a year is a good judge of "is this what I really want". I found it difficult to be tied down. I don't live in a sub division and I don't have the option to go to libraries, play groups, local parks, ect.... so I am at home all day. I also found it difficult because my weekends were tied up with house work, groceries, laundry, errands, extra circular actives for my kids, ect that I never had any down time and was actually looking forward to Monday's for a break. I shortened my hours and hired a house cleaning service to come in once every two weeks. I do one load of laundry Wednesday and Thursday night and then the rest I do on Sunday. I cut back on the big meals I was preparing through the week for my family dinner which created a lot of dishes instead something like soup and grilled cheese sandwiches was perfect. I had to simplify my days to help me adjust and now I have a routine and a full daycare and things are great.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have been operating for 4 1/2 months. I have 3 part-time clients and 1 full-time client--I am okay financially with this. I am a single parent and I am homeschooling my own child. I don't have a vehicle and I live in an apartment. I started doing home daycare because I wanted a way to stay home with my child and homeschool, and still earn an income--it was literally the only option I could see.

I find it difficult having my own child (7) with daycare children (toddlers)--I feel like when I am with one, I am neglecting the other. My child is great with the daycare kids and I think in some ways it is beneficial for him to be around young children--it is teaching him a lot about empathy, and being kind, gentle, etc. But I also worry that spending so much time with younger kids in hindering his own development. There are lots of activities that I would like to get my son involved with (homeschooling groups, etc) but I can't because I have to be home with the daycare kids, be here for naps, etc. Also, not having a vehicle, I rely on walking/public transportation, so if I want to drop my son off for an activity, it takes a long time with travel time.

Being in an apartment, the daycare kids have access to the entire place other than my son's bedroom. The kids nap in my room, the living room has turned into a playroom, etc. I want my home back. I feel like I have no privacy and that I can't relax here anymore. I feel like the house always has to be presentable for daycare kids and for interviews. There are toys and stuff everywhere and I'm tired of looking at it all. I feel like it's not my home anymore.

I miss interacting with other adults--even if we go out, the interaction with other adults is always focused on discussing kids. I miss having intellectual discussions and learning about different things. I feel like my brain is going to mush. In some ways, this isn't challenging enough for me in the ways that I need it to be.

In terms of what I like, I like being home with my son. I like setting my own hours/rates and making rules that work for us, being in charge of how things work. I like running my own business. As for the kids, I take very good care of them, I provide enriching activities, I hug and snuggle them, but I don't get particularly excited about any of it.

@ Starshine I went through this exact same thing see my thread "Changes I havee decided to make" it might help

Starting to feel at home...
    I can totally relate, Starshine. Another thing I struggle with - if I know that I'm not in this for the long term, is it better for the kids, and for me, to cut my losses now and let everyone move on sooner rather than later?! I just hate being a quitter.

Euphoric !
    Ah yes ..... Adult interaction .... I do miss that !!!! My hubby works two jobs so even if I wanted to talk to him he's no help in that department heehee. He just can't fathom when I call a friend or one of my sisters in the evening and talk for an hour .... He could never imagine doing that. But I need to talk !!! I am in this for the long haul. My youngest goes to school next sept but my mortgage has decided that I am going to do this for about 10 more years.

Euphoric !
    I had typed out a long response, but it got eaten by cyberspace! Basically I think you have to do some soul searching and really decide if this is worth it for you. While I had smoe ups and downs in my first year, I never felt like it wasn't challenging me in the right ways and the more I do it the more excited and passionate I get about it...I am excited to learn more, do more, and grow my knowledge and experience (which is why I am always on this forum). If you are not feeling that passion, it is totally understandable as your passion probably lies somewhere else. So I guess you ahve to decide if you want to continue in a job you are not passionate about nor excited about in order to stay home with your son...or do soemthing else, but possibly not be able to stay home and homeschool your son. The third option of course, is to somehow find some passion in daycare and find ways to actually make it exciting and challenging for you (maybe take some workshops...I find they always get me revved up). Good luck with your decision making process!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I started my daycare two months ago because like some of you, I felt it was important to me to stay home with my little one. (I also have a seven yr old in school) I have good and bad days but i LOVE being home. I do not enjoy how my house is getting distroyed by the daily where and tear. I enjoy the little ones I have but I will be honest and say that I do not enjoy the Before/After school kids that I also watch. They are absolutely wild! lack respect and i feel like all I do is yell at them. Do you guys have separate space for your daycare or do you use your main rooms in your house? Also do any of you do before/after school care? do you do activities for them? I tried but they just want to play which always gets too out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    I had typed out a long response, but it got eaten by cyberspace! ....
    Shamefully admit that I now type my responses in WORD and copy and paste them into a thread to avoid this cause it has happened to me far too many times!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Smitty ..... Yes I do have a separate space for my daycare however I do use my bedrooms for napping. Each child is contained in a pack and play so there is not playing hence wear and tear on "my" space. Parents enter and leave thru the daycare entrance and our days are spent in the daycare or outside. I have done before and after and I currently have a SK that comes before only. I only do one at a time because they take up a space as far as my numbers go so I haven't really had a discipline problem. I never did activities cause once they have been at school all day they just want to play. I always kicked them outside that way they could run around and yell till their hearts content. I would suggest telling them that if they can't behave then you will find a job for them to do..... Washing toys,reading a story, helping to get snack ready , preparing the next days craft, cleaning up or their homework !
    Last edited by Crayola kiddies; 11-22-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Euphoric !
    I've never done before and after care for the reasons you ahve mentioned (plus it doesn't pay well). But, I do have a separate daycare area and it is AWESOME! At the end of the day I get to leave it and the rest of my house is intact (well except for the mess my own kids create). I like Crayola's advice...outside time is great at the end of the day for them to burn off steam (I try to do this with my own son when he gets home, although lately he complains that he is cold and wants to go in...not sure when he became so anti-outside....I'm now working on doign outside activities to keep him busy such as a game of tag etc). And I like her suggestion of play nicely (but you will have to specific about how you expect them to behave with examples etc) or do your homework, wash the dishes etc. Actually, you might find they like helping out so maybe you could have the kids help you with the little ones...like prepare a puppet show for them or read them a story, etc. I know my 4 year old loves to be the helper

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    I started my daycare two months ago because like some of you, I felt it was important to me to stay home with my little one. (I also have a seven yr old in school) I have good and bad days but i LOVE being home. I do not enjoy how my house is getting distroyed by the daily where and tear. I enjoy the little ones I have but I will be honest and say that I do not enjoy the Before/After school kids that I also watch. They are absolutely wild! lack respect and i feel like all I do is yell at them. Do you guys have separate space for your daycare or do you use your main rooms in your house? Also do any of you do before/after school care? do you do activities for them? I tried but they just want to play which always gets too out of control.