Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Frequent peeing

Ya I do not have a schedule as in 'following a clock' but our day flows the same basically every day .... arrival, free play period with access to creative art / sensory, snack, outside or morning field trip, free play period, prep for lunch watch TV or sensory at table in kitchen, lunch, stories, quiet time, free play period, snack, outside and so forth.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    Thanks Playfelt and Reggio! Visual schedule seems to be common to all of your suggestions. She will often ask me throughout the day "And daddy's gonna pick me up?"...just needing to check...and when I say "of course",...then she can relax for a bit. Playfelt, actually according to her parents she was disciplined in a harsh way...which is why they pulled her out (she was left alone in the basement for 30 minutes because she was crying and cuoldn't say why). I don't know how she was disciplined for potty accidents, but it is very likely that the reaction was overly harsh. The crazy thing is, I cannot even fathom how this child would ever need to be disciplined in a harsh way...she is sooooo well behaved and polite and sweet. Maybe it was the tears over anxiety producing events that led the provider to get frustrated instead of realizing that if she had just let her keep her slippers in the same spot every day for example, those tears could be avoided! I am going to work on coming up with a visual schedule. I am guessing photos would work best as she is barely 3 and abstract illustrations may be misunderstood.
    One of my daughters has learning disabilities and the only teachers she did well for were those that realized things had to be done a certain way or not at all.

Try taking actual pictures of things as the clues for her such as her shoes, the front door, daddy's car - even daddy. Then put the pictures in a photo album in order. She can go look whenever she needs to and sees what she has done and what still needs to be done.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Thanks Playfelt! This is an awesome idea! I remember when my oldest son was in daycare and having a lot of separation anxiety, I made him a little album with picutres of the family members, to comfort him. Of course, seeing a picture of Mommy or Daddy can go the other way too and make them upset as they are reminded too much. But, I like the idea of things being in order and photos were my first thought too because she is a bit young to really connect a cartoon drawing to reality. I will try either an album or a poster or pocket chart...in fact if I use the pocket chart, I could actually get her involved herself in putting the pictures in order...that would help her feel that she has control. I wish I didn't have houseguests coming this weekend so I would have more time to work on this! Oh and of course an ever so exciting workshop to attend...with Playfelt herself

Euphoric !
    A pocket chart works great because then she can turn over the pictures already used and know what is left.

Oh great. see you Sunday - I never know who is coming to the workshop till I get there and Doreen leaves out the list for signing in.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I would advise the mom to have her sugar levels checked. Frequent urination is a sign diabetes along with being thirsty, sweet smelling breath and strong odour to the urine. Extreme lethargy is also a sign but that usually occurs closer to the time of diagnosis because its the lethargy that usually causes parents to take the child to the doctors. It can be very serious if sugars get too high, I would ask that she be tested asap.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    I have a new dcg who is almost 3 and has been toilet trained since August (was completely trained when she started with me almost a month ago). She is the sweetest little thing and so well behaved, but she is constantly needing to go pee-pee! In the beginning I thought it might be nerves because she was in a new environment...I talked to her mom and she agreed that it was likely that. She did say she had been checked out by a doctor previoulsy because she was starting to have this problem at her old daycare before she left. The doctor said she is fine. Now, after almost a month, she is actually getting worse. Today she went 3-4 times per hour! I thought maybe it could be attention-getting behaviour, so I took all attention out of it by making sure she is able to pee and wash her hands all by herself...she now does that really well, but it isn't helping. I have also tried distracting her..."hey you just went 10 minutes ago, let's go read a book", but it mostly doesn't work and she is clutching herself like she really has to go. I'm not sure if she is just peeing little bits each time and then has to go again (like a dog peeing on bushes), or what?? Any ideas? Advice?