Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Frequent peeing

Euphoric !

Frequent peeing

I have a new dcg who is almost 3 and has been toilet trained since August (was completely trained when she started with me almost a month ago). She is the sweetest little thing and so well behaved, but she is constantly needing to go pee-pee! In the beginning I thought it might be nerves because she was in a new environment...I talked to her mom and she agreed that it was likely that. She did say she had been checked out by a doctor previoulsy because she was starting to have this problem at her old daycare before she left. The doctor said she is fine. Now, after almost a month, she is actually getting worse. Today she went 3-4 times per hour! I thought maybe it could be attention-getting behaviour, so I took all attention out of it by making sure she is able to pee and wash her hands all by herself...she now does that really well, but it isn't helping. I have also tried distracting her..."hey you just went 10 minutes ago, let's go read a book", but it mostly doesn't work and she is clutching herself like she really has to go. I'm not sure if she is just peeing little bits each time and then has to go again (like a dog peeing on bushes), or what?? Any ideas? Advice?

Starting to feel at home...
    I hate to tell you but my ds is just like that... he can pee every 20min!! What I have started to is to start to delay him. Started with a few min at a time we are now up to almost an hour between pee's. I figure that i just need to train his bladder.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to giraffe For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Does she have any problem with constipation? Things like encopresis can cause frequent urination.

Euphoric !
    It could also be a uti .... I have a dcg that was just over three when she started with me and was going pee constantly .... I cut back a bit on her fluids at her moms request then one day she was totally panicked and she walked circles around my play room and went to the bathroom every 10 mins we went outside and she walked circles around my van and she had this worried look on her face. So when mom came to pick up I told her and suggested she get checked out cause she might have a uti or a bladder infection ..... And sure enough it was the beginnings of a uti and she drank cranberry juice for the next few days ..... So maybe suggest to the mom to get cranberry juice .... Can't hurt!

Euphoric !
    Well I have asked the mom to observe her at home and see if is happening there too. If it is, then a trip to the doctor may be in order. If not, then it is more psychological and I have to figure out why she is doing it at daycare. She doesn't actually drink that much so I am sure it is not that (I am trying to enoucrage her to drink more actually). She does sometimes have problems with gas and possible constipation (her mom told me she gets gas pains and I know that one day she was having a hard time pooping here), but a doctor would have to assess that part if it is something physical.

Euphoric !
    My son was like that in the first couple of weeks of toilet training, but once he was trained, it wasn't an issue anymore. Has your son been trained long?

Quote Originally Posted by giraffe View Post
    I hate to tell you but my ds is just like that... he can pee every 20min!! What I have started to is to start to delay him. Started with a few min at a time we are now up to almost an hour between pee's. I figure that i just need to train his bladder.

Outgoing
    My son had problems with constipation, and ended up with encopresis. Basically the way it was described to us by the doctor is that when they are constipated for long periods of time, the bowel distends. That causes them to feel the need to pee frequently because of the pressure. We were told to watch for teeny tiny instances of soiling between bms. The treatment consisted of stool softeners and natural laxatives if need be.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JennJubie For This Useful Post:

In absense of a UTI or other medical reasons I second the need to 'train the bladder' ... I have a new one who just started and is doing the same thing every 30 minutes cause that is how he was 'trained' by being sent to the bathroom every 30 minutes to try to get a success and avoid accidents ... so I have been doing the same thing trying to 'delay' by small increments because we go outside for at least 1 hour if not 2 hour blocks sometimes and I do not want him having to fly into the house every 30 minutes specially when the snow flies ... so training the bladder it is ... we are up to an hour now!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    My son was like that in the first couple of weeks of toilet training, but once he was trained, it wasn't an issue anymore. Has your son been trained long?
    Yup, rained before the summer (June ish) and we are still kinda dealing with it... started the delaything in Augustish

Euphoric !
    Hmmm...well I have pretty much ruled out something physical as parents have confirmed that she doesn't do it at home. Today was better...but I am now keeping a written log of every time she asks to go and jotting down what was going on around her at the time. It could be the bladder training as many of you have mentioned, but the thing is, sometimes she goes 2 hours without going and when we are outside she never asks to go...so I know she is quite capable of holding it for good chunks of time. So I have started to wonder if there is a psychological reason she suddenly needs to go. I am trying to see if there is any pattern to it to see if I can get to the bottom of it. Otherwise, I am also working on trying to distract her and get her to wait a bit in between bathroom visits. I am not sure if it has something to do with negative experiences at her previous daycare (according to parents she definitely had some)...she is also very routine oriented...needs to remind herself of the routine often (ex. "After that I'll put my slippers on, then we'll do this, and then this")...I think it's her way of feeling secure. Maybe it will just take longer until she feels fully secure here. Poor thing