Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

To gift or not to gift an expecting DCM

What is appropriate if you have a PT DCM who is having her 2nd baby in a few weeks?

Am I expected to get the baby a gift or mom a little delivery gift? I know it is a write off but not sure I should.

This mom plans to stay PT with her first child after the second child but I just don't know that I should give something. Should I? I know it would be the really nice thing to do but I can't decide.

I am already getting her first child a Christmas present so it seems like a lot of gift giving for this family.

Do you gift expecting parents? Would it seem strange? Or would it be stranger not to?
    Last edited by Spixie33; 11-23-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Its really up to you. What ever you feel comfortable with.
    Personal I won't. For me my dcp are like customers in a store, I am friendly and polite but not their friends so no gifts for me. Their kids will get a small loot bag at the Christmas party and that's it.

Euphoric !
    I don't think your expected to give a gift .... Only if you want to .... A card that all the children helped make would be nice too.
    My daycare mom had a baby last week ... I gave her a gift ...but I did it because I wanted to, not because I felt I should or because it's a write-off ( actually I never realized it was and didn't save the receipt) just cause I wanted to. So I think if you want to give something it's entirely up to you.

Euphoric !
    What we sort of do for families in my daycare having a baby is we all do something together. I usually buy something like a basket or pail or bin of some sort and then all the families buy things to go in it and we present it to the family. Basically what happens is they take their own kids shopping to buy a gift for the baby so it is mostly the small carded items like teething rings, squeaky toys, etc. But it also lets all of us off the hook at the same time. I sort of see what is put in the bin and then add accordingly from what I know about the family ie need the basics due to finances, have everything so frills ok, what mom used on older child.

I also offer free childcare on the days mom is in the hospital - up to a week as my gift. Not all take me up on it as they have relatives coming but it is always thanked as a great gesture.

Definitely whatever you are comfortable with for sure ~ I have always gotten something for the 'baby' from myself and the daycare kids AFTER baby arrives and we know the sex for sure and we make up a group 'card' for the family.

Before baby arrives depending on my relationship with the client (aka how long have they been with me, how actively involved are they in the program, our rapport I will get mom a little 'pedicure' gift certificate or something cause I have been told it is nice when you are 9 months pregnant and about to have a bunch of people looking at your feet in stir ups it is nice to have pretty toes and it is hard to reach them yourself .... one mom was complaining about how hard it was getting to 'trim the hedges' as her pregnancy went on (summer baby) so her I got a waxing gift card to show I had been listening but we had that kind of rapport to pull something that personal off
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Shy
    In the past I have bought a pack of plain white onesies and some fabric paint and made a craft out of it for the children. For big sis you can trace her hand onto the onesie and help her draw paint some hearts and stuff. Its a great gift with a personal touch that doesnt cost a lot of money!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dshtebazile For This Useful Post:

This wouldn't be a business move as you aren't obliged to gift them. This would be personal preference and a sign of compassion and celebration towards this person and such a joyous event. This is IMO an act as an individual not as a daycare provider. I always gift for new babies as its my personality to do so, nothing to do with my business.

I give a gift to the parents. A new baby is such a huge event in a parents life and I like to congratulate them with a card and small gift. I do see this as a business and personal gift as it promotes good will and shows you are happy for them. Also a gift is a warm welcome to a potential dck!

When my little 2 yo dcg's mom had a baby last spring, I gave her 3 free days of daycare to help out. She was ecstatic. She was planning on sending her older one to me once a week anyway, but she said that even this couple days reprieve from paying was very helpful financially to her family, with her being off on mat leave, and their income dropping.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    A lot of businesses give loyalty gifts and perks and well doing something nice for the new family can sometimes - and note I said sometimes guilt them just enough to leave the older child a bit longer.