Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Extra hours.. how much would you charge?

I just recieved and email from one of my daycare moms asking me if I would be able to watch her daughter an extra 2hrs 1-2days every couple of months. I am going to say yes Im just not sure how much extra I should charge for this as this situation has never arised for me before.

Currently I have her from 9am-5pm, and charge $38 a day. I dont want too charge too much and seem greedy, but I dont want to charge too little and feel "used". I was thinking of saying $5 per hour- which would bring our day to $48.

Does this sound reasonable? How much would you charge?
    Last edited by dshtebazile; 11-22-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Euphoric !
    I charge for a 9 hour day with $5/half hour overtime. But my business hours are from 7:30am to 5pm. If they want to stay after 5pm they have to pay the late fees of $5/half hour too. You didn't mention if the extra hours were at the beginning or ending of your day but I hope this helps a little. If people changed from an 8 hour to a 9 hour day within my hours then I wouldn't be making any price change but if they were outside my hours and it was every day I would actually look for a new client. I do not want to work late every day. But we are all different. Make sure you do what you WANT to do.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Its at the end of the day, so I would have her from 9am-7pm. It would only happen 1-2 days every couple of months, so its not too bad.

Euphoric !
    Just make sure you are clear with her that you can only do it those few times every couple of months...not weekly or every day. These things have a way of becoming normal and then next thing you know the kids are with you until 7pm every day and it's hard to say no because you are already doing it sometimes.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

You need to compensate yourself not only for your addition time but the fact that you will likely be feeding her dinner with your family which incurs an additional expense as well ... small piece of boneless chicken these days costs $2 at least not to mention whatever additions you add to it for dinner

I also charge $5/half hour for overtime over my 9 hour program day because they are no longer 'sharing my services' with other families to get that cheaper 'group daycare rate' during my business day, plus they are asking me to work 'overtime' which any other industry is paid premium wage to work and well I am not even charging 'minimum wage' so that is fair IMO AND most importantly they are cutting into my family time so it needs to be worth it to them too for me to consider doing it.

Personally I would not keep a daycare child over 'dinner' as that is our family time to connect about our day and discuss personal things about said day or to debate about issues in our community and so forth and I do not want family to feel they have to be 'cautious' about that time in case a child repeats something at home that is taken out of context or what not
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

I would charge her $20.00 for the two hours including dinner. You are working overtime and that should be your response should she baulk at your charge.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    Just make sure you are clear with her that you can only do it those few times every couple of months...not weekly or every day. These things have a way of becoming normal and then next thing you know the kids are with you until 7pm every day and it's hard to say no because you are already doing it sometimes.
    This! Be very careful!. My late/overtime fee is $10/half hour. I would charge at least $20 for working 2 hours overtime. You have to make it worth your while and a bit of a burden on them so it doesn't become habit. If you charge to little, that's when they start to take advantage.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi View Post
    I would charge her $20.00 for the two hours including dinner. You are working overtime and that should be your response should she baulk at your charge.
    Agreed. On top of it being overtime hours and providing dinner, it is also running into your time with your family.

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree, I would charge $20 for the 2hrs
    "If we all could see the world through the eyes of a child, we would see the magic in everything!" - Chee Vai Tang

Euphoric !
    I would charge my hourly rate of $15/hour (or part there of) .