Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Holiday gifts

Expansive...

Holiday gifts

One of my friends is expecting to get a weeks pay plus a gift from each of her daycare kid families, is this normal??

If you have high expectations, you surely will be diapointed. In fact it sounds very selfish.
    Last edited by dodge__driver11; 11-24-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    One of my friends is expecting to get a weeks pay plus a gift from each of her daycare kid families, is this normal??

I agree to EXPECT that as NORMAL she is surely in for a disappointment and likely resentment towards her clients if it does not come to be!

While I have been blessed with many generous clients over the years ~ spa packages, dinner and movie gift cards and so for certainly equal to a weeks or more pay and the one year I had a client who'd gotten me a pair of those 'fingerless glove /mittens' that allow you access to your fingers without taking your mittens off to blow noses ~which was so cool cause I has lost mine and that she had noticed me struggling with normal mittens I was so touched and than was shocked to find $20 in cash rolled into each finger when I later went to try them on so an over $200 gift in total and I had been so happy with what I had thought was a $20 pair of mitten and last year I had a client find me an Elf on the Shelf after the whole city was sold out and I could not find one anywhere she had seen one while out in a small town and picked that up ~ the thought she was 'thinking' of me when out and about truly touched me

While I feel blessed no I do not expect that kind of thing from clients nor do I think it is normal for clients to do that ~ some clients do not have that kind of budget on top of all their other household bills, some do not celebrate Christmas or 'gift give' at all so do not think to gift a service provider and so forth who might.

In centre care some clients gave nothing, some just gave cards, others gave the generic worlds best teacher trinket / box of chocolates / mug / candle / bath supply type thing and each staff got the same thing and the rare few put a lot of thought into a personalized gift unique to each staff who'd care for their child that year ... there was no 'normal' and no rhyme nor reason to why some parents did gift and others did not or how they gifted.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Starting to feel at home... Serendipity's Avatar
    I take a week off between Christmas and New Years each year. This is paid time off for me and the fact that parents are willingly pay me for my time off is gift enough.

I have NEVER expected gifts, tips or bonuses from any of my families. I have received a few but NONE are ever expected. Paid time off in a self-employed business is a gift in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    I take a week off between Christmas and New Years each year. This is paid time off for me and the fact that parents are willingly pay me for my time off is gift enough.

I have NEVER expected gifts, tips or bonuses from any of my families. I have received a few but NONE are ever expected. Paid time off in a self-employed business is a gift in my opinion.
    Yup. This as well.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    Thank you for the 5 minute laugh I just had! Sorry, but I don't have rich families at my daycare and that's completely out of the question for me. I'm lucky and very grateful if I receive a $25 or $50 gift card from one or two of my families and smaller things from the rest. That's been the norm for me. I have two dcDads out of work right now so I'm not expecting much from them understandably.

Seriously, how can you EXPECT a gift? That's supposed to be thoughtful and from the heart and depends on how the family feels and what they can afford.

Outgoing
    The only thing that I expect is a thank-you from the parents for presents that I send home for them and the children, which more often than not I don't get.

apples and bananas
    when I had my children in home daycare I would give a gift equal to a full days pay. I never went below $50.00 and when I had 2 kids in care I'd often go above. I'd also make sure to do birthday presents for the caregiver.

I expect a thank you from my families at Christmas time. In whichever way they deliver it is fine, I just like to be appreciated.

I had a good laugh over the weeks pay too.

Euphoric !
    I do know HDCP's who brag about their $250 spa gift cards and expensive gifts and they think that makes them sound like they must be really awesome providers. My opinion is that they are just very lucky to have the high end richer clients who can afford that sort of thing.

The rest of us are awesome providers too but have clients who are working class people and don't have the funds to spend on things like that. I just wanted to say we all deserve a pat on the back and a thank you every day.

Outgoing
    I also think that your friend will be severely disappointed. I have received some very generous gifts over the years but to EXPECT a full weeks pay plus a gift is very greedy.