Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Sensitivity/Compassion training

Does anyone know of a workshop/book or tool for training/refreshing staff on sensitivty and compassion. Ie. comforting children when ill, scared etc. Putting the kids needs first etc.?
    Thank you!

Reaching in Reaching Out ~ AWESOME program for staff because in order to teach children resilience one must have it themselves so they start with skills for staff on empathy, compassion and so forth

http://www.reachinginreachingout.com/
    Last edited by Inspired by Reggio; 11-26-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    It seems to me that a common sense approach is best. Either you are a caring, nurturing person who will instinctively respond to the children or you are not. I don't understand how you could learn that from a book. It's inside you and when you relax and get to know the children in your care it's 'innate' and natural and you'll be fantastic.

Children respond naturally too and shouldn't have to be taught to care about others, it will come out in them as they grow. We have to teach them sharing and how to socialize with others, but I believe their natural instincts also show up by age 2 for getting along with all the peers with daily guidance for the little things that arise as they play and we monitor and encourage.

If you have a 2 year old who is violent or uncaring of others it might take a huge effort but their parents should have been teaching them all the things I mentioned.
    Last edited by Momof4; 11-26-2012 at 04:08 PM.

WAHM correct me if I am wrong but you are not looking for this for yourself but as something to offer your staff training wise because you operate a small centre in your home town in Alberta?

While I agree that in an ideal world we would all have common sense about what is best for children I empathize as well that when you have employees you cannot always wait for their common sense to be developed specially if it is different than the businesses definition cause well these days sense is not all that 'common' at all since we all have such different values that motivate our choices and actions ... aka those who think it is common sense to allow a child to cry it out when they are sick or scared so that they can learn to be 'tough' in this world and those who think it is common sense to support a child through developing resiliency skills on how to cope with illness and fear and so forth without leaving them to cry and figure it out on their own so to speak.

Reaching In and Reaching Out is something many centres in Ontario are using with their staff to help them ensure that their program is supporting the social and emotional development of the children and themselves to reduce stress and promote healthy conflict resolution and so forth ~ it is also been offered at the Ontario Early Years Centres for both parents, caregivers and home childcare providers to support them in ensuring they have strong resiliency skills as well for dealing with life's adversity. I have taken the course a few years back and found it very helpful for program planning and all sorts of applications in my program both when I worked in centre environment and still at home with my smaller group which is why I would highly recommenced it ... in fact it was very helpful just in my personal life as well.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

If you have God in your harth and you are open to his voice yo will have compassion and not only that ,allot of love for those children's not only in those situations but at all the times. If you rreally know Jesus and pay attention of all that he suffer for us you will have love and mercy all the time ask the Good Lord to fill your harth and the harth of every one else in need in order to understant this great gift. No book will teach people mercy love and compassion only the word of God. I recomend every one who work with children's to star the day in prayer asking the lord to fill our herths with his love so we can treat other with his love. For our selves is impossible to do things of curse God write in our hearths good and bad and we have to learn to follow this nature law in life, but also is good to go to God and ask for directions not only in our jobs but also for ebrithing if we do that we will see the Love of God in ebrithing that we do.

God bless all have a great day in the name of Jesus.

Euphoric !
    Seems to be a lack of understanding and appreciation on the part of parents that the place of business is also our home and that we have the right to take pride in how it looks both inside and out.