Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Outgoing

How long is your outside time in winter?

How long do you stay outside to play in the winter? We were outside for a little over an hour this morning...it was too long for the little ones (15-17 months) and not long enough for the older ones (3 and 4 yo).....on average how long do you plan outdoor time in the winter?

Im also on the hunt tonight for some new winter boots for myself...mine are no longer waterproof

Totally varies on how cold it is out there ... last winter we were able to go to the park most mornings and be outside from 9-11ish daily cause we did not have a lot of snow in our area and temperatures hovered around -3 mark or warmer so it was so nice out.

Unless it is colder than -10 or there is a weather warning in affect we make an attempt to get out daily and than play it by ear as to how long we stay out ~ I am a majority rules type person if all but 1-2 are voting to stay out we stay out and the others need to learn to toughen up and find a way to enjoy the outside ... if it is the non mobile infant having a really hard time than I will cut it short cause they cannot choose to keep warm the same way mobile children can.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I have two 13 month olds, a 20 month, a 2year old, a 3 year old and my own 2.5 year old. I find that 30-45 minutes is all I can get out of the youngest ones because they can't do much and then they get cold because they aren't moving aruond enough (or they don't have the right clothing...see my vent post...LOL). Sometimes if it is not too slippery we go for a little walk and the older ones walk...but even then the babies are just sitting, so they get cold.

Euphoric !
    Reggio: I would love to go to the park, but find it is either frosty and slippery or snowy/icy and slippery in the winter...how do you deal with the slippery factor?

apples and bananas
    We were out for 45 min this am. A short walk and then some free play. They probably could have lasted longer... but I got cold. LOL It was zero degrees outside this am, but there was some great sun.

Outgoing
    Im not a big fan of winter, but want to make sure the kids are getting some fresh air and exercise...

Euphoric !
    By the way, I bought myself some Boggs last year and so far they are great because you can wear them in the spring and fall as well as winter...I haven't worn them in the coldest part of winter yet, but yesterday it was -10 with the windchill and my feet were warm and dry

Quote Originally Posted by monkeymama View Post
    Im not a big fan of winter, but want to make sure the kids are getting some fresh air and exercise...

Outgoing
    thanks sunnydays! I had a friend recommend them as well so Im going to go look tonight

I have a pair of Bogs and they are great and worth the $$ as they last forever. If the weather is sunny/cold we are out for a good hour. It really depends on the wind chill and how hard the wind is blowing.

Outgoing
    Usually we got outside after snack until lunch time, so we stay out over an hour sometimes 2. I continue to check on them if there hands and feet are cold. If all is good and they are happy and playfull we stay out.

This AM I found it colder and had a craft activity planed so I waitted until after lunch to go outside. So we only got an hour in before nap time. However right now all m kids are 20 months plus.

Wanted to ask you guys if you went outside until pick up in the afternoon ? My backyard gets dark now and my last pick up is at 5h00pm. So it is dark ( I'm way out in the country so there are no lights) I touhgt it migh not be safe or pleasant. Do you go outside in the pm in winter time ?