Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Outgoing

Should I advertise now?

I have a four year old in care that is delayed in speech and self help skills (potty training especially), and he has been in speech therapy and been assessed by a developmental psychologist and finally Mom and Dad have realized that he needs more help than I can provide. So last night Mom told me that he is on a waiting list for a regional centre where he will have access to the services he needs. It could be a while before he gets a spot so if I advertise I won't be able to say when the spot will be open. Help!

Starting to feel at home...
    I guess it depends...how many other kids are your currently caring for ? I have four full timers so I have some flexibility with my last space - it can be a part timer, or it could be a short term contract - the other children provide the stability I need to run my program and pay my taxes. =) If you have fewer kids, you might need to start advertising now - this year has been horrible in my area - it's taken me forever to find clients. While I'm sure that you want to be fair with the Mom, the reality is that when her space becomes available she'll jump ship immediately (and I understand - my own children were on waiting lists for various different programs) If you can't afford to be "down a man" so to speak, maybe you should find his "replacement" now. Do you have enough energy/space in your program that you could advertise and take on a new client now ? It would mean more work now, but it would mean when your current dcb moves on you would still be financially stable.

Outgoing
    Right now I have 4 that come full time, 1 that comes full time but only for two weeks of the month and 1 that comes two days a week (M and T for the first two weeks of the month and Th and F for the second two weeks of the month). So in reality I can't take another child on until this one leaves but I also can't be out the money for very long after he leaves.

That is a tough one ~ do you honest feel you can WAIT for the child to be in a program that can better meet his needs ... aka are YOU coping with him in your program able to meet the other children's needs despite his extra needs or should they be looking at a nanny or someone who can give one on one in the meantime?

IMO the client has been honest and open with communication ~ something we all say we want more of in clients ~ they were kind in trying to give you a heads up they will be leaving when they could have theoretically kept their mouth shut and not said anything and given you the minimum notice required by your contract.

I personally would not penalize their honesty by trying to fill the spot before they have given notice IF I felt I was able to cope with the child in my program and his additional needs were not draining my resources for the other kids in my care ~ cause depending on the centre, the size of the waiting list and where they are on it ~ it could take months or even a year for a spot to open up the kid could actually end up being eligible for SCHOOL in the mean time depending on his age?

Now if I honestly felt that this was not the best match for the child I would suggest they consider a nanny or alternative solution in the meantime and give my notice that in the best interest of the child I would have to terminate the contract and give them a sizeable notice to make other arrangements and THAN start advertizing to fill the space!

If you want good karma and mojo coming your way than my aim is to treat others better than you want to be treated yourself whenever possible!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    Thanks Reggio, the boy is 4 and SHOULD have gone to school in Sept but he is not toilet trained at all and his communication skills are delayed. He has been with me over a year after being in a centre, where Mom said he wasn't doing well . It has taken about 6 mths for Mom and Dad to realize that he does in fact have a delay and now finally they are acting on it. He is not a BAD kid, just challenging at times due to his inability to carry on a conversation. He tends to throw temper tantrums when he doesn't want to do something and will throw himself on the ground or hit himself in the face and head when he is angry. He has a very hard time staying still and he will only play with toys that have sounds although I have been working on this by bringing out non-musical, non-talking toys and not allowing him to stray from that activity. I almost feel like I have failed him because after a year there has been very little progress, although his speech has improved somewhat, he can put his own coat and shoes on now but still struggles with other self dressing at times (he consistently puts both feet in the same leg of his pull up, pants or splash pants). Anyway, I guess I will hold off advertising until I know when he is leaving for sure.

IME from working in centre administration for a decade if they have a waiting list for care just like US when they are going to be looking to fill a spot they are going to choose the IDEAL candidate off that list who is the best match to the program and has the highest need so that they can make the most impact on helping ... so if this child is slated to leave to go to school in September 2013 that is going to be a lot of work for them to adjust him to their program and do all the paperwork to get him help and resources in place just for him to LEAVE the program in nine months for the school system ~ the reality at least in many areas of Ontario anyway is that sometimes the wait list to get speech and language assistance for a child is nine months itself from the time of referral by a professional to the time therapy actually starts which is why we always 'push' parents to seek help at the first signs of challenge for children at that 18 month well baby check up rather than wait this long cause we want the help in place before they are ready to start school!

IMO based on his age and what you have shared are his challenges he is even LESS likely to get a spot in a regional childcare program ~ my guess is that there will be others with LARGER issues than just speech and language and delayed training that will be a higher priority as well that are younger and would be able to be there long enough for the program to actually help the child.

Sadly I would be advocating that the clients look for arranging for speech and language therapy outside of 'centre program' and leaving him with you until he starts school ... the waiting list might be shorter privately and they might have a co-pay requirement depending on their household income but it would get him the help faster to catch him up to help him have the basic self help and other skills for starting school without making him change childcare arrangements yet again which would likely cause a regression again!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    He is in speech therapy now and he turned 4 in Oct 2012 so he should have gone to JK this past Sept. Mom said that the family dr is the one pushing to get him into a centre where he will have access to a resource teacher therefore having more one on one. I have been struggling with the notion of letting him go because he is the oldest in care by over a year the next youngest will not be three until the end of January, and then I have a 2.5 yr old, 2 girls that will be 2 next month and a 19 mth old. So ideally he SHOULD be with children his age. I had a child with PDD in my care a few years ago and the resource teacher and speech therapist both came to my home to work with him, it was really chaotic at times and I am not willing to do that again. If this boy gets in to a regional centre, he can stay there and do his kindergarten programs there and then go into regular school at age 6. I told his Mom that this is the best thing for him since due to my varied and young group, it is really hard to give him the one on one attention he needs to catch up. And honestly, I think being with such a young group is detrimental to his development, even though the two almost two year olds use the potty successfully almost all day and can communicate effectively, the other children are still younger by 18 mths or more.
    Last edited by jodaycare; 11-28-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Euphoric !
    Special needs children also come with special funding so that can speed up their placement. I would probably have a conversation with the parents not actually asking permission to advertise but trying to get if they were given some sense of timing such as in January or not till Spring. I would probably wait till January to advertise since unless people need Jan or early Feb they aren't really going to be looking over Christmas anyways. They will get him into a program of some sort I would think in early January since I know around here daycare centres aren't any fuller than we are.

Are you in Ontario Jo?
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    Yes, in Brampton