Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...
    I also love my job.

When my kids come home from school, I am here for them! I am able to cook home made suppers because I have time at nap. I am able to care for my home in the way I would be unable to if I worked outside the home. I am able to help mould the leaders of tomorrow! I get to listen to their funny stories and anecdotes! I get to listen to whatever music I want during the day. I can go pee without having to log off a computer at a desk. I get to drink my coffee on the porch while the kids play in the yard. I get to make crafts! I get to plan trips that I know the kids will love! There are lots of perks!

But I also hear what Bugaboo is saying. If we claim our income is a perk then that is why we hear statements like, "She's only in it for the money" from the public concerning a daycare provider who EARNS her pay.
    Last edited by Emilys4Guppies; 11-29-2012 at 10:48 AM.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Emilys4Guppies For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... Serendipity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilys4Guppies View Post
    If we claim our income is a perk then that is why we hear statements like, "She's only in it for the money" from the public concerning a daycare provider who EARNS her pay.
    I AM in this for the money. In what world, would someone actually want to change poopy diapers, clean up snot, puke and fingerprints for FREE???

In what world would people really honestly put up with some of the really unique situations that doing child care brings to us for FREE????

NOT ME. I AM in this for the money and nothing else. I happen to like my job and I am good at it but I sure as heck don't do ANY of it for free.

If I wanted to do this for free, I would just sit home and collect welfare benefits and pop out kids left and right while watching Jerry Springer.

Oh, and as far as making a good or decent income....it takes 8 full time kids to make my mortgage and bills and I am still NOT well-off so I also call BS to making enough to support 2 adults with only two DCK's....unless of course, one of those adults lives in a shoe box for free in the back yard.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Serendipity For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Just wanted to chime in. I am a parent reading this forum/thread and I agree with the OP. Some of you need to lighten up IMO. Let someone say something positive without turning it into a negative so quickly. She loves her job! That's more than most people can say. I for one, as a parent, respect her as a "business woman" that much more because of this. It would never make any "normal" parent reading this think they don't need to pay on time or should negotiate a lower fee, etc. as some have suggested. Obviously there are some crappy parents out there who don't follow the rules and sell their kids short but I would like to think most are great. So many providers on here seem so jaded and cynical yet they say they "love their jobs too" in the next sentence. That's what would cause a parent reading this forum the most concern IMO.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to happymomma For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Sorry but it is a perk for me to get paid to do what I love. An advantage. An extra. I know of a lot of people that don't love their jobs. And by me saying so is not being irresponsible in my book.
    My parents know that i work hard. They see it when they pick up their children with glitter and paint in their hair, crying because they are not ready to go home. Or when their children want to come here after supper and on weekends. (which I don't allow lol)

I was going to do a post today saying '"Cordless stick vacuums - Every day care should have one" but now I am too scared.

Starting to feel at home...
    Happymomma- I'm so glad you are one of the "normal" parents but unfortunately you (and other parents like you) are the minority. You have no idea the things parents say to us and ask of us every single day. I don't think I'm jaded or cynical but I am realistic. I have interviewed too many families myself and seen and heard what my peers have been through to know that parents like you are so rare its heartbreaking. In my provider career I have had ten families walk through my doors. Do you want to know how many of those families paid on time every month and never ever gave me a hard time over their monthly fee??? TWO. Yep two. To count how many times families tried to pay me less or have paid late are so numerous I can't count every instance.
    HappyMomma you are what this industry calls a "golden parent". Don't take this the wrong way but you are NOT normal, golden parents are a rare gem.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bugaboo For This Useful Post:

Praise God! Happy Momma, I was about to throw in the towel for another week or two! every once in a while I find that when posting the emotions or everyday this and that's on this forum, they seem to get a little "attacked" I then choose to focus on the positive in my life which is family (including the children I provide care for...they too are my family!) I totally undoubtedly LOVE my job, do I feel I deserve pay for the services I provide? you better believe it! I work hard and am a great replacement for the parents in my daycare, while they are gone to work....however, I stand firm on the fact that I am so absolutely blessed to do what I do, so much so that I do view the paycheck as a quote un-quote "perk". Fully aware my paycheck is DUE to me, any one who provides a service should receive payment, BUT, when you love what you do so much that it overflows from your heart with happiness? the paycheck feels like icing on the already fabulous cake. thanks, Happymomma for your input, just goes to show, we providers (if doing our jobs well and for the right reasons) are always valued and recognized by the parents we provide care for. not to mention, we should never have to feel like we need to "convince" parents on this forum that we really do work hard for our pay, if they understand what we do for a living, they should already know. I love this job and feel as if getting paid to take care of these wonderful children is such a dream.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

ha ha daisy, too funny! seems just like bugaboo said to happymomma re: being a golden parent, a real gem....thinking maybe that's what we are too! I too fell the very same way you do and would shout it from the mountain tops....I'm not afraid to tell anyone I love what I do so much It "feels" like getting paid seems too good to be true! I know exactly what you are saying, not that you are lazy or don't work hard enough for your pay, and I really don't think any good parent would view you that way, as a matter of fact I think it would be quite the opposite actually. If I were a parent I would feel so happy to know that my provider loved her job so much that her paycheck felt like "icing" on her already wonderful cake!!! would make me want to pay her on time and then some, knowing how greatful she is and how much she loves her job would mean soooo much to me! keep doing what you are doing.

BTW. what was your post about cordless vacuum? I'd like to here it!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Before the posts turn negative again, I just wanted to add that when I read the original post (as a parent) the first thing I thought was "that's exactly the type of person I want to send my baby to every day." Thankfully, I have found a gem of a lady just like that. And I want to go above and beyond for her as well. And trust me, this can be just as hard to find as a good parent.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to happymomma For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by happymomma View Post
    Before the posts turn negative again, I just wanted to add that when I read the original post (as a parent) the first thing I thought was "that's exactly the type of person I want to send my baby to every day." Thankfully, I have found a gem of a lady just like that. And I want to go above and beyond for her as well. And trust me, this can be just as hard to find as a good parent.
    I wouldn't. I want the person caring for my child to be honest with themselves and their peers. No job is all rainbows and butterflies and trying to convince yourself that it is is NOT safe for anyone. Just my two cents.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LittleWing For This Useful Post: