Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Maternity Leave - all my parents are doing it.

I have one family leaving this month and I have two other moms that will be having babies this spring/summer. That will be 3 spots to fill again. OMG.

Just a lesson to keep advertising and have a waiting list, I guess. It comes with the territory when caring for 1.5 - 2 year olds.

I've already had one that wants me to hold 2 spots for a year. ha ha.

I am worried about starting with a new set of children. How will I do it? These ones are so fantastic and I have finally got them day care trained.

Oh I feel for you Daisy! Maybe we are in another "baby-boom", I lost one to second sibbling about 4 monthes ago (too much to pay for 2 kids I guess) and have another 2 on their maternity right now, and am meeting a Mom today who needs care for her new babe after her maternity leave is done in a month. Have been barely keeping my head above the surface lately, and CHRISTMAS! Charged more than I wanted this year!!!!! Tis the Season!
    Great idea to have the waiting list, you can NEVER be too sure of things in this job, that's what I always tell people when they call for care and I don;t have room..."I'll take your name and number if you's like and give you a call if something opens up, otherwise, give a call in a month or so, something might open up!"...you just never know! Good luck!

Yes, I have 2 moms on mat leave and another trying to get pregnant. I read that there is a 30% increase in births in southern Ontario so hope we will benefit from that in a year LOL. Then again I just got notice today that the daycare registry I belong to will not be issuing home daycare referrals anymore due to lack of calls. This industry is like riding a ship in rough waters - up and down.

Yes it is ironic that whenever there is an economical recession a 'baby boom' seems to follow ... you would think the opposite would be true cause if money is tight you'd think people would refrain from bringing another mouth to feed into the world but this has been the statistical norm?

And agreed hopefully it will mean more business next year cause this has been the driest year I have ever seen for many providers with how long it takes to fill open spaces.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    Maybe it's because people are staying home more rather than going out and looking for things to do at home...and voila! 9 months later comes the result of a night's cheap entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    Yes it is ironic that whenever there is an economical recession a 'baby boom' seems to follow ... you would think the opposite would be true cause if money is tight you'd think people would refrain from bringing another mouth to feed into the world but this has been the statistical norm?

And agreed hopefully it will mean more business next year cause this has been the driest year I have ever seen for many providers with how long it takes to fill open spaces.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Makes sense ~ there is always a surge of births nine months after any power outage or snow storm here in Ontario too
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    Maybe it's because people are staying home more rather than going out and looking for things to do at home...and voila! 9 months later comes the result of a night's cheap entertainment
    Haha!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JennJubie For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    My group of friends (all 6 of us are expecting within 2 months of eachother) I know!!!

We're calling it the "50 Shades of Grey Baby Boom" hahaha
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamma_Mia For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Daisy, I have one going off on mat leave and one coming back with the 2nd baby. It's wonderful when it happens like that but very unusual. I also have 4 new children and when the new baby comes it will be 5 new children who have joined me in the last year. I'm like you and really miss my original 5. But my grandson was in that group. I'm still enjoying running my daycare and for a while I was wondering if it would be the same. It isn't of course, but I still like this career path I've chosen for this part of my life.

apples and bananas
    I had 2 moms that did the same thing this past fall. I convinced them both to keep their child in 2 days a week and gave them a holding fee so they pay me regardless. I took the pay cut because it's more important to me to have consistent kids then loose them for a year only to maybe be able to have them again... or give them the opportunity to find new care. I just happen to be lucky enough to have 2 spots opening at the same time they will all return for their siblings. The problem is that I'll be 5 full come next fall! 2 12 month olds, 2 X 2.5 year olds and a 2 year old. More then my comfort level... just hoping I get real comfortable by then. LOL