Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Tips on how to minimize cold season

Hey guys!
    I'm new to this whole cold season thing. To be honest I used to never get sick (same with my son. His first cold was well after he was one). But since opening the day home we are sick at least once a month. My doc said because we haven't been around any of the germs in so long it's going to take at least 6 months to build an immune system again. Right now everyone is sick in some sense from a cough to a runny nose.

Just wondering if any of you guys had tips on cold prevention. Obviously, lots of hand washing for all of the kids, covering mouths when coughing/sneezing, and regular cleaning of the toys. To be honest, I wipe the bigger things down regularly, things that are mouthed/sneezed/coughed on I disinfect immediately (when I see it), but I thoroughly disinfect everything once a month (I probably should do it more).

Any tips on what you guys do? Or is it just inevitable?
    Thanks in advance

Pretty much just inevitable. Good news though, in about 5 years you will be completely immuned and will barely ever get sick!!! I do (with parental consent) provide vitamins for my daycare kids and really push the parents to give them at home. other than that, not much you can do as far as picking up sickness, just wash a lot and wipe the toys, keep "mouthers" toys seperate if possible. (I don't allow the older kids to play with the baby toys and vice versa) can't think of much else, just comes with the territory of newer daycare, you really have to build immunity and that just comes with time.
    oh! I swear by airborne though, as soon as you feel cold symptoms, pop one tablet into 4-6 oz of water and drink. you have to catch it early though. good luck!

Outgoing
    I agree with kidlove ...not much we can do. Yeah we clean and disinfect as much as we want but I think all that does is keep our immunes system from actulay getting stronger. We can't live in a bubble right ? I have not been sick much since I opened the daycare and I think it is because I got my hands in germs all day long so my body fights it off ( I"m no expert on the matter mind you)

But I do drink a lot of green tea and I do beleive that helps. All I feel sometimes is a little swollen in the neck and then ... 3 days later nothing. For the kids I try to get them as much nutrients in their meals as possible. I had read an article on veggies and food that help preventing colds so I add some items everyday. Not sure if THAT is what is actually working but so far only one child seems to be more affected by the colds than the others and he's the one that does not eat veggies at home and has not been in daycare before the age of 2.

Anyway I would not stress to much about it ... what does'nt kill you only makes you stronger right ??

Good luck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to crafty For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I teach the children to cough and sneeze onto their arm and not onto their hands. If they put all the germs on their hands then they spread germs everywhere they touch after that and it's hopeless. I wipe super runny noses with the diaper wipes instead of tissues to really clean their faces and keep the germs away from my hands. I also wipe their hands a lot while they are playing just at random times throughout the day besides the handwashing at meal time. I ask the parents to carry wipes in their cars and purses and wipe up their children's hands after being in shopping carts which are like petrie dishes on wheels in my opinion.

Shy
    Just recently, as soon as I feel that "uh oh...a cold is coming on!" sensation in my throat or a little sniffle, I take a spoonful of minced garlic. In the morning, no cold! You have to catch it right away though.

oooh, totally agree, garlic is a natural antibiotic, works like a charm if you can handle it. My Hubby when he feels a sinus infection (get them every year) will squeeze the juice from a garlic clove, absorb it with a cotton ball and stuff it in his nostril and snort it in........aaaahh! not sure how he does it, but he swears by it. His eyes water and he says it burns for a little. He is a little crazy! ha ha

the rest of us, just go to the health food store and purchase garlic soft gels and swallow them like regular people!

Euphoric !
    While wanting to protect from the cold and flu germs don't constantly sanitize every surface in sight or you will just be killing your body's ability to meet up with germs and build antibodies against them. It does get better for sure. I know that isn't helpful as you feel like you have been sick for 3 months straight but it will get better.