Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Shy

Interview sheets for DCP

Has anyone ever seen a sheet for daycare providers of questions to ask the parents? I have parents come to me with long sheets of questions and really there are a lot of things I want to ask the parents and sometimes don't think of at the time. After all it is DCP and parents working together to care for the child and you need to have a good relationship with each.

Outgoing
    I have a list of about 20 - 25 questions I ask the parents. I can post them later today when I get a minute if you want

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
    I have a list of about 20 - 25 questions I ask the parents. I can post them later today when I get a minute if you want
    That would be wonderful if you could!

Outgoing
    Ok, so this is what my interview sheet looks like...after all, parents aren't the only ones who are interviewing

Parent's Name:_______________ ____________________
    Child's name & age:________________ ___________________
    Looking to start care:_______________ _________________

1. Has your child been in day care before? If so, for how long?

2. Why are you seeking new child care?

3. Is someone available to pick up your child by closing time?

4. do you have emergency backup care?

5. will you be giving notice to your former child care provider? If no, why not?

6. are you willing to sign a contract?

7. What is your method of discipline?

8. What is/will be your approach to potty training?

9. Does your child have any special needs based on religious or health issues? Are there any activity or food restrictions?

10. What is your child's favorite activity?

11. What general observations can you give me about your child's development, activities, etc.?

12. Is your child on any medications? does he/she have any special medical needs such as allergies or asthma?

13. Does he/she have any unusual habits?

14. Does he/she have any habits you are trying to break or reinforce?

15. does he/she need help in any specific areas of discipline such as sharing or playing with other children?

16. Is your child on a sleep schedule? what kind of napper are they?

17. Is your child able to self-sooth at nap and bed time?

18. Is your child a good eater or tend to be picky? Are they able to self feed?

19. What are your expectations of a child care provider?

20. Why are you choosing a home daycare over a centre?

21. What does a typical day look like at home?

22. May I have names of references? (former caregiver, etc.)

This is what I ask parents at every interview. It gives me a general idea of what the child is like (along with meeting them), how the parents parent, and what they expect from me. This helps me make my decisions on who I want in my daycare.

Euphoric !
    Interesting, have never thought of getting references for the parents we are interviewing. One of the things that a list of questions like this does is helps to reinforce the equality aspect to the parents and that it isn't just the parents that are doing the choosing and also that we are not being "hired" by the parents as their caregiver. We are offering a serived to the families of OUR choosing and have the control over the program/service that we offer.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Interesting, have never thought of getting references for the parents we are interviewing. One of the things that a list of questions like this does is helps to reinforce the equality aspect to the parents and that it isn't just the parents that are doing the choosing and also that we are not being "hired" by the parents as their caregiver. We are offering a serived to the families of OUR choosing and have the control over the program/service that we offer.
    That is exactly it!

Shy
    I love the questions!!! Thank You! I was asking because the last few interviews I have had they have pulled out big lists of questions one after another and really they are coming into OUR home. I would like to know a bit about them as well! I also like to meet the dad as well because if he is going to be involved in pick up or drop off we need to be able to get along. I know one provider that used to do two interviews. One in her home and one in theirs. She wanted to see how the children were in their own environment to get a feel of the whole picture.

Thank you fruit loop!

I was told that the caregiver is the interviewer, as it's your business. I've been lucky with my parents as I haven't had to check references as they're friends of friends!

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    wow, great list ! I agree. It is and interview and in the end I choose.
    I want to make sure I can see myself "working with" these parents long term and make sure we have the same values.

Outgoing
    So when you're interviewing with these questions, do you actually have the sheet out in front of you writing down answers? Or do you have your questions pretty well memorized so you know off the top of your head what to ask? Just curious because I like the idea. I wonder what parents would think if I just pulled out a piece of paper with questions for them !! ??