Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

What hours are you "open"?

I am just wondering what time everyone begins their day in the morning? And what time does your last child leave?
    Curious as to whether we have a wide variance, or if it's pretty standard across the board in all areas.

I am in Alberta (obviously, haha), and I am in operation from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm. I could possibly start (and therefore, finish) a little earlier, but this allows me to get my own 2 boys off to school. I have checked out some other dayhomes around my city and it seems like that is pretty typical, maybe give or take an extra half hour earlier/later.

I'm in Kemptville, ON, and my hours are 7:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. I'm very strict with my hours, and I'm not afraid to ask for more money as I own my own dance school that I run in the evenings from 6-9 p.m. and on Saturday mornings out of my home.

I know parents want me to open until 5:30 p.m., but they won't give me the extra $20 for care! lol Life doesn't revolve around them....I have a life too, like to spend it with my husband, and then to teach.

Euphoric !
    My hours are listed as 7am - 5pm. But I am flexible in the morning and have a child that comes at 6:40 in the morning. I won't do past 5:15 on a regular basis cause I want to get on with my night.

Expansive...
    I have cut back my hours. When I started I offered 6:30 - 5:45...... but I just couldn't do that anymore. It was intruding into my family time and I was having a really hard time getting up early enough so I could have my kids breakfast, lunches made and be open by 6:30.

I have moved it to 7:15 - 5:00.

I only have one after school child who stays until 5:30 - gack ! When her parents signed up initially they said they would usually be here by 3:30-4:30 but then when they saw my hours in the handbook and saw 5:30 they started stretching it out to the very last minute - LITERALLY. Luckily the after school child only comes once or twice a week.

Two of my kids get picked up around 3:00-4:30 and one set of siblings gets picked up at 5:00

I would love to take on only these early pick ups from now on because it really makes a difference so that I can take my own kids to activities and also cook supper etc since I don't cook while the daycare is here

Starting to feel at home...
    My hours are listed on my ad as 7am-5:30pm. My actual hours currently are 7:30am-4:30pm.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Euphoric !
    I'm open 7:30-5:30, but I wish I had made it 5pm as it is difficult to get my family's dinner ready after the kids leave (2 leave at 5:30 and one at 4:30). In the future I will likely make it 7-5 instead, but only for new families...I wouldn`t change it on current families.

7:30am - 5:00pm are the hours I'm open and parents can choose 9hrs of care within that time (ex: 7:30-4:30) but if they need any longer than 9hrs (up to 10hrs not going past 5pm) they pay $5 day more). Confusing I know but it makes sense to me. As a family we eat supper between 5:00-5:30 so I won't disrupt that.

Euphoric !
    In nice weather we are outside till pickup and our supper is later. Often in summer we use the BBQ. Other days we are inside and I have toys upstairs. I go ahead and start supper, do whatever is needed for the evening. I sort of work off the school schedule with "school" running from 9-3, care for an hour before and after ie covers 8-4. Anything before or after that is basically me babysitting in the true meaning of the word and that means child just plays, tv is on in the mornings and end of day is puzzles, toys at the table while I am cooking, etc. My own kids are now older and only one is left at home. This schedule goes back to when time was precious and kids had to be fed and be places after such as scouts, piano lessons, soccer etc. I just got so used to doing it that way. Have never had parents complain. There is no reason that we need to be face to face with the kids the whole ten hours. It is important they learn to entertain themselves so I provide activities and they choose to do them or not and they have the option of being in the kitchen where I am to do them or in the diningroom which is our upstairs playroom. This does't work of course for people that use only their basement for daycare. The trick in that case is putting on a crockpot in the morning and then supper is ready as soon as the last child leaves.

Playfelt...that is the main reason I opted to convert my diningroom for my daycare. No matter how I cut it, I need access to my kitchen multiple times a day (baby bottles, snacks, drinks, prepare supper) and couldn't figure out how to make that work with a basement daycare.

I also do a schooltime routine and let the kids just play at the end of the day. With my last child leaving at 4:30 now it's easy but come July I'll have a little one until 5:30 daily and I'll need my dinner prep time then.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by agesandstagesdaycare View Post
    7:30am - 5:00pm are the hours I'm open and parents can choose 9hrs of care within that time (ex: 7:30-4:30) but if they need any longer than 9hrs (up to 10hrs not going past 5pm) they pay $5 day more). Confusing I know but it makes sense to me. As a family we eat supper between 5:00-5:30 so I won't disrupt that.
    Actually, this totally makes sense to me, and I have been thinking about implementing the same type of system. Right now, I have some great parents that don't leave their child here for 10+ hours, but I just had a family leave that dropped off at 6:45-7 am and picked up at 5:30. And they were very often late, at that!! It was just too long, for me and the child, if you ask me. Hmmmm.... may have to consider it.