Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Registering in Ontario.... will I be inspected?

I want to registered my home daycare, once I get started. I can't seem to find if I will be inspected by the Ministry? It really doesn't matter, I'm going to do things right anyways, of course.
    What's the deal and requirements once you register?
    Thank you!

Starting to feel at home...
    Do you mean being registered as a business, becoming a licensed daycare, or a preschool?

When you say 'register' what exactly are you meaning?

Register your business name with Service Ontario to get a Business Identification number for advertizing purposes and to abide by Ontario's Business Names Act?

or

Register as in you want to be 'licensed through the Ministry of Education' as a daycare to be able to take subsidy, have more than 5 children and so forth?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    Do you mean being registered as a business, becoming a licensed daycare, or a preschool?
    LOL great minds .... you responded as I was responding
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

I am with a home daycare registry. To become a member I had to have a fire, health, and cas inspectors come to my home and of course have a police check and my cpr certificate to join. Is this what you mean?

Is that with the Halton Registry mimi??

Starting to feel at home...
    I thought that the Halton Registry no longer existed???

Yes, bright sparks and giraffe. I just received notice they are no longer doing referrals. I understand why they did this as any inquiries I have received have never started with them. I wasn't going to renew my membership with them anyway.

Euphoric !
    Again because of the differences from province to province it is hard to answer this question because I'm not sure what the OP was intending. In Ontario you have the option to operate privately with 5 daycare children and that is the only restriction or requirement. You can also register with a dayhome agency. The agency is licensed by the province and they contract with providers to care for 5 daycare children and do have a few hoops you need to jump through to get your home ready. A private person can not be licensed in Ontario like they can in other provinces.

If you want to care for more than 5 children then you would need to look at the requirements for a daycare centre and that is something totally different.

Shy
    Oops, I meant just to register my daycare as a business, to have a name instead of handing out my SIN. I do not want to be licensed, or use an agency.
    I take it then from the answers that it's just a business name, and that is all.