Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

New here! And need to hear some good stories :)

Hi!
    I've just started a home daycare in March. I have a 9 month old daughter and also a one year old in my care full time. Starting next week I will be caring for another 9 month old full time. I have been reading many posts since I found this website. I knew starting this daycare I would run across issues, but after reading a lot of the issues other parents have, I find myself really discouraged. Right now the one year old's parents are great. I only really see the mother and she always pays on time and I never even have to remind her. The other parents seem to be ok, although they were a bit more hesitant with some things, like that I don't keep kids on stat holidays and that I reserve the right to take up to twelve days off a year. I am hoping someone out there has some good stories or has been doing this for a while and has rarely had any problems...maybe that is not realistic?? I am a shy person by nature and hate any type of confrontation so I am dreading any bad situations that might come up. I guess I will have no choice but to toughen up a bit.
    Thanks to everyone who replies!

Expansive...
    Oooh I soooo hear you about not liking confrontation. LOL I am the worst of it and will agonize for hours and weeks to have to tell someone no about something unless they are family or my husband or kids. lol

I am stuck in an after school situation that I wanted to exit since January and have not been able to tell the parents. That is pretty bad.

I started my daycare Sept 2010 and I found awesome families and I have not had any payment issues. I have never had someone not pay me or come late etc.

My after school situation is the worst part because those parents will rack up $50 at a time of not paying and then pay so sometimes I am keeping track across a span of weeks what they owe me but they do pay. I usually just wait for them to finally pay rather than ask them. Eventually they realize monies are due and ask me the amount. Luckily these after school days only happen once a week or two.

It sounds like you are off to a great start. I think having a good contract and a good guideline that you give parents will usually keep them in check and if you are a good daycare the parents usually find it in their best interest to keep you happy and around.

I also get paid stats and I can also take up to 3 weeks off unpaid. I tell parents up front and I assure them I will give them 4 weeks notice for all closures or vacations unless it is an emergency. It has not been an issue.

Euphoric !
    I am closed Stat holidays and I have two weeks of paid vacation per year plus another week unpaid and 5 paid personal days for appointments, illness, etc. I only opened in March too, but nobody has had a problem with the paid time off. I think they realize that a well rested caregiver is a better caregiver! Plus, it is pretty common in my neighbourhood. My advice would be that if they have a problem with it, wait for the right family...they will come along. I have three GREAT families so far and I am very happy with how things are going...although I realize that I am new and challenges will likely await me down the road. I have a very clear contract and very good communication with all parents. I think this is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    I am hoping someone out there has some good stories or has been doing this for a while and has rarely had any problems...maybe that is not realistic??
    It IS possible to go through the bulk of your daycare years with few problems. BUT, the ONLY way you can do that is to be absolutely, 100% assertive and ensuring you get what YOU want. You live and die by your contract, you expect parents to keep up their end of the bargain and you MUST be okay with being the bad guy sometimes. And, above all else you have to be WILLING to let families go if you have to.

That's not just being a daycare provider that's being a BUSINESS woman.

Business is hard. It's a fact.

You have to have a mighty big backbone in order to not have problems.

Trust me, I know. I rarely and I mean rarely have problems with parents. BUT, that only comes from years and years of encountering (and often failing) at just about every possible scenario a parent can throw at you. EVERY time you get hit by the swing you live and learn. Your contract gets longer and you know better next time.

You also have to become savvy at who you accept into your care. You need to be able to identify whom you can and can not work with. You need to know your limits and where your line in the sand is.

It's a learning curve that can take years to master. But it CAN be done.
    Last edited by Judy Trickett; 05-11-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Euphoric !
    Oh, please don't be turned off by all the griping and moaning we do around here! lol
    It can't be that bad, or we wouldn't all continue doing it, right? There are many, many reasons that I am in this business. And even on it's most challenging days, it is still one of the most rewarding things that I could be doing. I think we just tend to use this as a place to vent, and forget to discuss the great things about what we do.
    I am also closed on STATs, and I think that it's pretty standard. I find it surprising if BOTH parents work jobs that means they are working on STATs. If so, tough luck, I guess! I also get up to 10 days paid holidays in the year, plus 4 paid personal days. Some people moan about it, but again, tough! As care providers, we don't make all that much on a daily or hourly basis. And when you think about the fact that most of us don't take any kind of "breaks" for lunch or coffee, I think we are entitled to vacation time with our families just like everyone else. Most people have some kind of allowance as such, be it days off with pay or lieu days or vacation pay-out.
    The fact is, you are a business owner now, and no matter what business you are running there will be difficulties that you wouldn't encounter at a "job". There is a little bit of toughening up required, that's for sure. As you go, lessons will be learned (some easily, some with a little more difficulty!). I have been doing this for just about a year now, which is not very long, and I am still learning what I need to do, prefer to do and have decided I won't do.
    It sounds like you are doing a great job, because you clearly CARE.... and that, to me, is the most important thing. Good luck!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post: