Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Gifts from spouse

Just wondering what kinds of gifts your "other half" gives you for xmas. And do they give you surprise gifts during the year, flowers, choc, etc., just to say I love you everyday, not just at special occasion time. Having a rough time with hubby right now and wondering if I'm expecting too much as far as everyday appreciation.

Outgoing
    we dont give each other gifts, generally. i get the odd flowers now and then but not often. were just not grand gesture kind of people. he tells me he loves and appreciates me every day and that is enough

We do not really so gifts for Christmas however last year he got me a really ugly good and diamond watch which reiterated why I prefer we not DO gifts

I love my man but he's no Romantic Movie man - My man is a MAN if you do not directly ask or smack him upside the face with something he will not do it ... he shows his love in typical man ways ... makes sure my vehicle me is safe, cleans the snow off it, covers me up with a blanket if I fall asleep on couch and stuff like that general kindness type things where he shows he's thinking of me on a daily basis ... once in a blue moon he will do flowers spontaneously or take me out to fancy dinner for no reason but not too often ... if I want flowers or chocolates or something pretty I buy it myself
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    We do not really so gifts for Christmas however last year he got me a really ugly good and diamond watch which reiterated why I prefer we not DO gifts

I love my man but he's no Romantic Movie man - My man is a MAN if you do not directly ask or smack him upside the face with something he will not do it ... he shows his love in typical man ways ... makes sure my vehicle me is safe, cleans the snow off it, covers me up with a blanket if I fall asleep on couch and stuff like that general kindness type things where he shows he's thinking of me on a daily basis ... once in a blue moon he will do flowers spontaneously or take me out to fancy dinner for no reason but not too often ... if I want flowers or chocolates or something pretty I buy it myself

Yup, I'm with Reggio on this. I've been married 34 years. My hubby is a kind person with a great sense of humour. He shows love by helping me out, making sure the snow is shovelled, my car has an oil change, and he makes a fire when it's cold out. He brings me flowers for Valentine's Day and Mother's Day but doesn't buy gifts otherwise. I've bought my own Christmas presents for years. I wrap them and tease him for weeks about how surprised he will be when he sees what he bought me. It works for us.

Outgoing
    My husband and I don't do gifts either. Yesterday he surprised me with flowers and a card just to let me know he does appreciate the things I do, however, that is few and far between. He does help out around the house (even if he does complain about the mess while doing it), and he helps me out with our children. I can't complain. We tell each other we love each other every day and that is good enough for me.

Other than stockings that we fill for each other (even the kids contribute little presents that they make or pick out to them)...my hubby and I have 4 children and very rarely are we lucky enough to get quality time with just us...so we agreed that for every occasion our gift for each other would be something we could do together. This year budget is a little tight...I bought him a Brie Baker, Brie toppings (favourite way to wind down in front of the fire when the kids are in bed)...and I will be making him a whole container of Peanut butter balls (his fav).
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Outgoing
    Yup, kinda like Reggio and the others ... My husband has the best intentions but never really gets it anyway so I prefer just getting a gift for both of us like a night out or something. His gestures of appreciation are doing maintenance on the car and not complain TOO much about stuff I ask help with

I think as women we often get this ideal of the perfect romantic man from the movies and than get heartbroken when we get the reality of Al Bundy or Fred Flintstones or Archie Bunker or whatever asshat normal man was big when you were growing up

I do not want to be held to the ideal WOMEN that the media portrays either with the perfectly quaffed hair and face waking up, the tight little ass and perky little boobs well into their 60's cause they never eat and are more plastic than person and so forth I learned a long time ago to stop holding men up to that Pretty Women Hollywood standard of Romance where the sullen grumpy dude is suddenly going to realize he cannot live without his women and chase her down the street screaming from a limo with flowers in one hand and a total change of character in another ... that just is not real life!

IMO while they are 'nice' for sure there are lots of less 'materialistic' ways to show love than flowers, jewelery, dinner out and so forth ... to me caring enough to make sure I am warm when sleeping, that I am safe while driving, being willing to hold my hair while I vomit and rub my back until I feel better, knowing that he would jump in front of me if danger arose, that he lets me know if he is going to be late or his plans change so I do not worry ... to me THAT is REAL and sustainable unconditional everyday ways to show your love for a partner!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    We don't do the gifts to each other here either. It is one way to cut down on the costs of the season in the sense of putting the money into being able to get the kids something off their wish list. Both sets of parents send us money for Christmas and we basically take 1/3 of the total and spend it as we wish - new clothes, treats, trinkets, anything. Then we use the other 1/3 to buy something for the house that of course is shared and it could be a new bedspread, or toaster or lamp or whatever we have been wanting. It is sort of a more practical arrangement than romantic but at least the bills are paid by January.

Before the kids came along and I would say up to about the third baby we did exchange gifts but it was also getting harder and harder with his military career, the kids, the daycare, life in general to actually get some alone shopping time and then you toss in that we moved every 3-5 years so there was always the looming if we move we have so many things we will need to buy - since they don't find out till January if they move that it often became a wait and see thing.

My birthday is end of February and his is beginning of March so we try to go out for a nice dinner then when it is much slower paced. He usually brings me flowers for my birthday. Not that I think giving gifts is a frivolous waste of money but to put so much stock into that tangible item to the point of disappointment if it doesn't come is not healthy either. We have always relied on the little things from baking his favorite kind of cookies to him helping with a household task he doesn't normally do.

Not meaning to stir the pot here as love shown in any kind of way is great, but it makes me kinda laugh that people think that a way love is shown toward them is when their husband changes the oil or shovels the snow and that this is somehow fantastic and all they deserve. Sorry but in my opinion to show love is to show thought. Not in a mundain everyday chore kind of way. I make dinner, clean and basically hold my family together in nearly everyway because it comes with my role as a mother and a wife which were the choices I made when entering this chapter of my life. I care for my family members with love but I don't feel love while doing laundry, making dinner and cleaning the tub, I do them because they are a necessity and I don't have a choice, and I doubt any man changes the oil out of love but because if they didn't it wouldn't get done. It's great and also very important to be appreciated and acknowledged for the roles both husbands and wives play in each others relationships but I do feel that it's important once in a while to show real appreciation for the individual versus the role they play in the family setup. Once again the differences between love and gratitude can mean different things to different people. These are just my opinions.

I get what Reggio is saying and I have actually had this conversation with a few people over the last number of weeks. What we see in the media doesn't exsist.PERIOD. It is dramatised and fantasised which ultimatly sets people up for dissapointment if people try to model their real life on this media BS. It's great for entertainment purposes, but I wonder how many people have arrived home from work to find rose petals strewn all over the floor (always in a perfectly cleaned house too lol), bubble bath in the oversize tub, champagne in fine crystal flutes, and blah blah blah... Really these movie directors have a lot to answer for haha.

I am a needy person in my relationship but don't misinterprate that for someone who is materialistic and can't or won't do anything for themselves. I just need to feel special as an individual, not just as a wife or a mother. It's part of what I need in my relationship and yes with all the media influence I can quite often be left feeling a little flat with my husbands poor efforts. I don't need a bunch of stuff from my husband, however to be made to feel special is something all women and men deserve and all I ask for is something, action or time which has had thought put into it. My husband knows the things I love, my personality and also knows what I dislike, and what will piss me off. I know a lot of women say "MEN!!" to often with a tone in their voices or with acceptance that they are hopeless. I have been married for 10 years and I am under no false presumption that it's all rainbows and butterflies, only that we have to work at it and part of that to me is making an extra effort to make the other person feel special. Doing the dishes for me or tidying up or even shovelling the snow doesn't make me feel special. I appreciate it but I'm not gonna pat him on the back like a child for playing his role in the household.

June was my 30th birthday and my 10 year wedding anniversairy. As my husband is completely hopeless at making a decision when it comes to buying a gift, he knows that I love to eat and I love to walk. He bought different types of cheeses, a bottle of wine and strawberries and took me to Hyde Park in TO for romantic walk and a picnic. The following day he took me to a fancy restaurant as it was a double celebration and both were big and he had flowers ordered and at the table waiting for me. I didn't have anything to unwrap, but he carried out kind gestures that he new I would love and create lasting memories. Last year he bought me a signed copy of a new book I was waiting to be released through a virtual signing. It only cost about $25 and honestly it's the best thing ever and I know he really put thought into it.

For his 40th birthday this year, I arranged a suprise get together with friends. It was a lot of work, but IMO nothing that's worth doing is easy. He was blown away to tears and my hubby is a very private person so even I was taken a back by his suprise and how overwhelmed he was. That was back in October and he is still thanking me for it now.

IME, life get's in the way of these special moments and especially for women, we are not good at putting our needs before others. Work, family, financial commitments and hardships make it very difficult to show a little extra love to our other half. I think as a result, we have to dedicate a little bit of time exclusively to being more creative and resourceful in showing each other love. Happy husband and wife, make better parent's and better members of the world.