Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

What to put in a contract???

Hi there!
    I am a new daycare provider. I am currently working on a contract but don't really have any idea what to put in there. If I wrote it out now with everything I have it would be one or two pages. Can anyone send me an example? So far I want to include late payment policy, late pick up policy (still don't know what to put for that), sick children policy...and that's pretty much it. Is there anything I should be including in there? Any help is super appreciated! And again, if anyone could send me a copy or an example that would really help out a lot, especially with how to word things.
    My other question was also...what makes this contract legal? I am just wondering if parents often sign contracts and don't respect it because they think it's just a piece of paper I came up with and not actually legally binding? If someone doesn't pay me and clearly doesn't intend to, how can I make them?
    Thanks!!

Starting to feel at home...
    I found it easier to write a general parent handbook with all the policies and info in it.
    Then, I have a seperate contract for each family. My contract states the hours and fees for that family as well as brief statements in paying for stat holidays etc.. Basically anything you want to make sure they need to know!! At the end they sign and I sign. They get a copy and a copy stays with me in their file. I'm on a different computer so I don't have access to my contract or I would give more advice. GL!!

Euphoric !
    Unfortunately, I don't really think I would be able to "post" anything, either. Sorry!
    But to answer some of your questions;
    Personally, as a private dayhome, I don't really bank on my agreements with parents being totally legal and binding. It may be different in other areas, and for sure if you are working with an agency. But myself, I go through my policies, etc and really it's just a trust thing with the parents. In the same way, they are trusting that I will not shut my doors on them without notice, and that I am treating and caring for thier child(ren) the way I explain things to them at the beginning.
    I do, however, get payment for care in advance. This is standard where I am, and ensures that someone doesn't bail on me and leave me hanging for payment. Really, once I have provided the childcare, I have no recourse to get that money should they leave. It would make no financial sense to take them to court over it, I would probably spend more money doing so! If you have concerns about someone from the beginning, and are worried that they will stiff you somehow, maybe it is not the best working relationship? I will not work with a family that I don't like and trust fairly quickly, and I assume that parents are the same way!
    I don't know where you are located, but we have a fantastic service that we pay less than $30 a month for called Pre-Paid Legal. We have ours through Primerica Financial Services, if there is an office near you I would recommend calling to ask about it. You get great access to reputable law firms for a significant discount (sometimes free!) should you ever need it. We have used ours while selling a home, buying a home, when we had contract issues, and so on. Check it out!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post: