Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

This will be a looooooooooong day !

Today is the day I have my temp. 3.5 year old DKG. She only comes one day a week and was not here last week. When she is here I do expect a more difficult day, she just have some minor behavior issues. It was getting better but I do notice that everytime she is here ALL the kids act up. Have you even seen this ? Can a child really bring negative energy that changes the entire group dynamic ? The kids cant seem to get along and are way more excited. Today is even worst ... the little girl has been whinny and mouthy. She was not here last Wednesday so I think that did not help.

Anyway ... just tought I would vent a little and get it out ...Luckly she is here for only 3 more weeks ...

Thanks for reading !!

Outgoing
    I have a four year old that has that same effect, as soon as he walks in , the kids get wound up. And he is here everyday!

I have 2 girls right now who are both butting heads and competing for top spot. They are driving me CRAZY!!! They are constantly argueing, telling each other "not to say that" stealing each others toys but not actually playing with them, storming off in a huff, sulking, kicking legs...give me strength.

1 is leaving in 2 weeks so hopefully my group dynamic will settle back down then. I have experienced a few occasions where a group dynamic changes because of one child. I think they feed off each other. Good Luck and at least it's coming to an end soon and only 1 day a week for you.

Starting to feel at home...
    Sounds like most have a child like this in there care. If only there were a way to predict this type of behavior in an interview

Quote Originally Posted by samantha3 View Post
    Sounds like most have a child like this in there care. If only there were a way to predict this type of behavior in an interview
    It's to be expected though and definitely an age where pretty much every kid goes through something. Clash of personalities and/or iconsistancy in areas of their lives are just a couple of the things possibly causing them to try to fight us for control. I'm sure the fact that the the OP's child is only their for 1 day a week plays a part. In my situation it's because I have 2 girls who are both leaders not followers who are butting heads to be the top dog. It's bound to happen so I'm just glad I can come here to vent so it's more tolerable throughout the rest of my day. It goes in waves too. Sometimes I rarely have to say anything whereas yesterday it was constant. 1 girl didn't even cross the doorway this morning and was already telling the other girl off, so before 9am I am already wanting to throw the towel in lol.

Euphoric !
    I had ( key word "had") a 2.5 yr old boy that truly spent more time in time out then he did playing cause he just couldn't follow rules. Even my own son was acting out. Now I have a new 3 yr old boy and he and my son play terrific and I rarely have an issue. Sometimes the personalities just don't mix. With that minor tweaking my days are much calmer.

Outgoing
    Well thanks for your feedback everyone. To those of you dealing with this EVERYDAY ... How do you do it ? I am so happy she will not be her efor much longer, then again it was getting better but the fact that she missed a week and only attends one day a week makes it difficult for her. But I do feel like I could lose my mind doing this everyday, It feels like total chaos around here. I can't change diapers whitout earing one child screaming at another or taking a toy from one another, fighting... I have been policing all morning. We got through our craft time luckly but barely. My own 3.5 year old had a huge tantrum when the other girl took her toys away then my 21 month old trying to come the her rescue ( ok kinda funy said like that ) but it felt like a war zone. Circle time was a mess ... They all fought over the same ''conversation'' piece. The only rest I had is when I said ok let's put on a christmas cartoon. Then they ALL sat on a blanky together and spent 20 minutes looking at the show and talking nicely to one another... Feeling like such a failure today as a provider... I hope the afternoon will go better or I think my husband will go hungry tonight coz once the are all gone I am soaking in the tub lol.

What is your secret to make it work on a day like this ?

Euphoric !
    A one day per week child is destined for trouble in my opinion! On that day the balance of power is completely shifted and everything changes in the group. And I am sure she feels like a bit of an outsider too...she feels that the others have their groove while she is gone and she may be acting out in order to gain some control over the situation, the environment. For diaper changes, I would take her with me...make her my helper or something or simply tell her she has to earn back the right to play while you change diapers. Since she is not staying long, I suppose really you just need to survive it and never take a one day per week child again!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    So true Sunnydays ... Just wanted to help this family but I will never accept a one day/week. I just had the spot for them. I was expecting a challenge with this situation but I was not expecting it to affect the other kids so much.

Euphoric !
    Why don't you put them at the table ( locked in boosters so they can't get out) with play doh .... Each child gets a color and some toys let them go at it .... Or sensory bins ... Each child gets a bin and then after 5 mins they switch ....I go outside every morning for at least an hour so that takes up a lot of time cause when we cone in it's clean up time then lunch and nap then bye bye