Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    apples and bananas

Laminating large paper

So, I made this great craft with the kids. It's a bunch of their hands cut out of green construction paper placed upside down to look like a christmas tree. We cut out a star and the kids placed it on top. Then I let them go nuts decorating them with markers and stickers. They turned out looking great! I think I'd like to laminate them for the parents. Or frame them.... but they are on big peices of paper and I'm not sure what I can do or where I can do it. Any suggestions?

The paper is 11 X 17

Euphoric !
    Places like Staples can laminate them for you. You could also try using the contact paper to do it yourself. Our childcare association has a laminator that would be wide enough to do it so you might try to talk to an agency, teacher, daycare centre about where they get their things laminated. Looking in the printing section of the phone book you might find businesses that also do it.

Euphoric !
    Actually depending on the cost to do it, I have a laminator I got from Staples that is a 12" roll - cold as in you don't plug it in and you just pressure roll the adhesive on. It is by 3M. I love it for doing my own stuff and being a roll over pouches I can do things this long if I want or do five small figures for a fingerpuppet set. Might we worth looking into and making that a gift to yourself - deductable of course. Not sure about the ones from Michaels - the xyron ones if they have one that is 12" wide or not. Biggest thing is it must be a roll not pouches.

Euphoric !
    Do you remember approximately how much this cost to buy? I want to laminate and never seemt o make it over to CCPRN to do it as it is across town...I am the kind of person who just doesn't bother if I can't do it at home (aside from workshops) LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Actually depending on the cost to do it, I have a laminator I got from Staples that is a 12" roll - cold as in you don't plug it in and you just pressure roll the adhesive on. It is by 3M. I love it for doing my own stuff and being a roll over pouches I can do things this long if I want or do five small figures for a fingerpuppet set. Might we worth looking into and making that a gift to yourself - deductable of course. Not sure about the ones from Michaels - the xyron ones if they have one that is 12" wide or not. Biggest thing is it must be a roll not pouches.

Expansive...
    I was going to suggest Staples too. I have brought them stuff to laminate that was large than 8.5 x 11 but it was around $4 I think

Just a question -- did the cutting out hand prints take a long time? I saw this craft on Pinterest and am scared to do it for 5 dcks because the tracing and cutting sounds like it will be very time consuming. Was it that bad? Or did you just do it for a couple of kids??

Euphoric !
    This is the link:
    http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...affixedcode=WW

There is also another one that takes the paper the other way so is only 9" wide but does any length. The advantage of that one is that you can get that roll that puts the laminate on the front and the adhesive on the back.

The rolls of stuff to fill have gotten expensive but as you say getting to the office from here is more of a nuisance than anything.

For the ones at Michaels you should be able to use the 40% type coupons that come in the weekly paper on a machine assuming you can get what you want. My mom had to get one of these because she used hers for crafting and got the roll that was plain on the front and just put the sticky on the back but that was discontinued for the 3M machine.

Every once in awhile staples does have the laminators on special but not often. It seems like a lot but it is really nice to have it there for whenever I want to use it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Could you do it with fingerpaint instead? That's what I was thinking...I hate all that cutting too! Last year we made handprint wreaths using fingerpaint...it was supposed to be cut-out hands, but I changed it...much much easier and it looked great!

Quote Originally Posted by Spixie33 View Post
    I was going to suggest Staples too. I have brought them stuff to laminate that was large than 8.5 x 11 but it was around $4 I think

Just a question -- did the cutting out hand prints take a long time? I saw this craft on Pinterest and am scared to do it for 5 dcks because the tracing and cutting sounds like it will be very time consuming. Was it that bad? Or did you just do it for a couple of kids??

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by Spixie33 View Post

I traced their hands then cut it out for them. It wasn't that time consuming. It took 10 handprints to make the tree. I just put 10 peices of paper together and cut at the same time. I did it for 4 kids and was able to get them cut during free play.

They look great and the kids had fun decorating and placing the star on it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Does Hamilton not have any OEYC resource centres for caregivers ... I would call and see if they have a laminator cause our local OEYC resource centre does laminating for a FRACTION of the cost of Staples and the next cheapest place is Scholars Choice in my region ... Staples is EXPENSIVE at least IME.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

apples and bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    Does Hamilton not have any OEYC resource centres for caregivers ... I would call and see if they have a laminator cause our local OEYC resource centre does laminating for a FRACTION of the cost of Staples and the next cheapest place is Scholars Choice in my region ... Staples is EXPENSIVE at least IME.
    Yes, they do. They are so far away from where I am though it's not worth the drive out there I'll be honest.

I think staples may be my best bet .