Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...
    So far I haven't had a hard time filling one of the spots a little guy just started last week but they have been paying full fees since NOv 12th (they offered) and the 2yr old is leaving Dec 20th .

It's just crazy that now the big centers are lowering their standards (age requirements and so on ) ...The family that is going to the center her 2 older girls go there after school so it makes sense for them to put the young one there ( this was the original plan she would be here until 3yr 8mths and then go to the center )...

It was more the potential new client as well asking about post secondary education .....
    Last edited by lainey76; 12-06-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Starting to feel at home... angelina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kidlove View Post
    you know what else I find really sad? I always think, if I had a separate Day Care had it all decked out for the kids, brightly painted walls and dif. little rooms ,for learning and play and eating and nap, and of course the sep infant room, child freindly EVERYTHING...( a dream for me..I think a dream for anyone in the daycare field) anyway, parents would be flocking to me, "did you here about xxx daycare?", "I have been on the wait list for months" bla bla bla, like you here about all the "overrated" preschools. Sometimes I want to say....What do I not have that those programs have? the brightly colored walls or a little more square footage? I still provide the same education, and give (willing to bet) more love and care than the AMAZING preschool, not to mention, offer full meals and snacks AND a lower charge. Why is our world so deep in the "show" of things, they have all lost the fundamental importance of care and well being of the children first and foremost? Not saying the preschool don't provide as good care as us but we are def not below them in time love and attention, yet parents seem to "flock" to them as soon as they can...to get on that coveted "wait list".
    yeah i agree with you, we don't have square footage. the yellow room, the green room. oh darn!

but we do offer more one on one, love and play base learning, which is what toddlers need. if only parents can see beyond that bright orange room!
    If they whine, give them cheese. If they're not hugable, hug yourself. (me)

Euphoric !
    Be careful not to waste your time interviewing parents who are just shopping around. We don't need to waste our precious evenings when we work such long hard days. I learned that the hard way and do a very thorough pre-screening now. If the parents really want centre care but just want to look around at home daycares you will figure that out quickly. If they love the idea of one on one care at a home daycare and close friends and less sickness and a homey atmosphere instead of a school type setting you can find that out.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

So the Pre-school that my dcg will be going to is Childrens Village out of Heritage school . They dont show rates (or I cant see a link for it)

Euphoric !
    Age mixes may be changing for everyone if some of the recommendations of the Audette inquiry are followed. Reading in the paper this morning that they proposed that all providers be registered with the ministry of Ontario and there be surprise inspections. That homes with pools above or inground not be eligble for registration - hence not able to provide care from such a home as well as the banning of even use of a wading pool - rules now used by the licensed agencies.

It also talked about looking at ratios and reducing the number allowed in a private home daycare in comparison to licensed agency homes. While this is going on of course that has been pressure from agency home providers to get their numbers adjusted to better match those of private providers. Then of course with full day learning that throws a mess into the whole age/ratio/numbers game too. If they lower the rules for daycare centres ex 18 months moving to next room to make room for more infants and balance group sizes that could filter down to the two under 18 instead of now the age 2 so lots to follow. At the same time I am nearing the end of my career so do not plan to jump through a ton of hoops if it comes to that but these things don't always move quickly.

Yes , my husband was telling me about the inquiry of that poor little boy I plan on being in the business until both my kids ar ein school full time and then maybe work out side the home but also if things dont change I may just keep doing the daycare I too dont want to be jumping through hoops to make a living.

Euphoric !
    For me it depends on the hoops and the viability of the business once changes have been put in place. I don't mind registering or having visits if that is necessary, but if I cannot have 5 daycare children and/or rigid age restrictions are put into place, I am not sure if it will make sense in terms of being able to make a decent living. I would love to keep doing daycare for quite a few more years and the longer I do it, the more I want to continue doing it...but it does have to be financially feasable, especially once my young kids are both in school and daycare costs are no longer a factor in it all.

Euphoric !
    With kids age 3 1/2 and up in full day school it really messes with the age restrictions in home daycare agency or private and that is the issue that will need to be addressed. Another option that has been put out there for consideration was the two caregiver more kids option but heard nothing on that issue so not sure the inquiry addressed the issue of too many caregivers and kids and playdates. I was hoping something would have been said about that and taking kids on outings etc.

If they reduce the number of kids that providers are allowed to have, then I guess rates would have to go up. But for that to work, ALL providers would have to do that across the board. Not just some.

Starting to feel at home... angelina's Avatar

How many kids can take in our daycare? Does anyone know what are the recommended no?

so, we are allowed 5 now, right? is there a breakdown how many part time (define how many hours a day, or how many days per week), and how many full time?

i have 3 toddlers and 1 after school. 4 in total. these 2 toddlers in my care will attend full day kindergarten in sept 2013.

Granting they will come before and after school to me, I will still have 4 in total - 3 will then be before and after school, and one fulltime. With that 3 B/A, and one full time, it will be really tight financially.
    So with that 4 kids in my care, would I be able to pay rent/mortgage on that income? Any thoughts on this?

Anyone have any idea what are the 16 recommendations of the jury on the inquest? I was looking where it is, but none I can find.
    If they whine, give them cheese. If they're not hugable, hug yourself. (me)