Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Losing kids to pre-school ugh !! JUst venting :)

So now that full day kindergarten has rolled in to quite a few schools in our area , the daycare centers that used to offer 1/2 days to those students are now opening their program to 18mths+ so since October I have lost 2 of my kidlets

One of those parents have referred a client to me (yay) .... The potential client had asked on the phone if I had post secondary education ????? and it kind of through me for a loop lol I didn't think that was any of her business but it just didn't sit well with me ....

Starting to feel at home... angelina's Avatar
    i feel for you. in my area, we are all losing our 4 year old to full day kindergarten. most schools in my area both catholic and public have full day kindergarten.

as to post secondary education, tell her you got a Bachelors degree in Aerospace Engineering in the field of Aerodynamics, Propulsion Systems and Vehicle Design from MIT. And wait for her reply, "oh that's great!". Yup, and you pay $100 /hour for tutoring your kid calculus. Who needs a degree? Can't kids be kids? Play base learning, anyone?
    Parent's like that give me a feeling that they have "too much expectation" for the quality care we give.

Aren't we daycare providers have honorary title?
    Something like a master's degree in Business Administration and PhD in Human Psychology majoring in Early Childhood Development?

Angelina
    If they whine, give them cheese. If they're not hugable, hug yourself. (me)

Euphoric !
    I have expected that is what would happen to daycare centres.

I had an interview last night for a child for beginning of February and the mom made it clear right from the start that they intend to put him into a daycare centre "eventually" so he gets the group experience before going to school but for now she wants the home environment.

She did say they have to be walking is the new criteria for entering the daycare centre programs. So guess I won't be encouraging any of my gang to walk any sooner than they have to. I asked if there was a waiting list and she said yes and then added about the walking criteria. The problem with a wait list is if the parents are on it they will have a week to take the space whenever it is offered or go to the bottom of the list and we will be left arguing with them for proper notice and payment in lieu of attending meaning they will be paying for two spaces. At least by having them pay for the last two weeks upfront it won't seem quite so bad so more chance you will get some kind of severence pay.

Did the mom say what centre they are going to. Watching their website will help give a handle of upcoming openings they have maybe or at least I am going to start watching those in my area to see about new programs they are offering and the admission criteria, compare prices etc. There has to be some kind of edge we can come up and sure hope it doesn't come down to lowering fees but I know in other places I have lived with an overabundance of centre spaces that is what happened as we had to stay $5 a day at least lower than centre care to get kids.

Not sure what to do about the family that interviewed if they want to come knowing they also want to leave just not sure when.

Euphoric !
    Do you guys know what the fee range is for a space for 18 months and up in a centre? I am just curious really, but someone mentioned that it was around $50 or $60 per day...maybe more?

Starting to feel at home... angelina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    Do you guys know what the fee range is for a space for 18 months and up in a centre? I am just curious really, but someone mentioned that it was around $50 or $60 per day...maybe more?
    This is from Colonel By Child Care, at Carleton University , Ottawa, ON
    http://www.cbccc.ca/show.php?contentid=37#xtocid4926

What are the fees?

For infants and toddlers from six months to two and a half years of age, our fees are $1,626.45 per month. For preschoolers from two and a half years to five years of age, our fees are $1,029.21 per month. Generally, fees are increased no more than once a year when the annual budget is prepared to cover increases in costs. Parents are given a minimum of thirty days
    notice of any fee increase.
    If they whine, give them cheese. If they're not hugable, hug yourself. (me)

Euphoric !
    Thanks Anglina. The preschool fees are almost the same as mine! I hope the centres in my neighbourhood charge more than that

I here ya on the whole losing kids to preschool. I have done this for quite some time now but have to say in the last year I have lost so many little ones about a year early to "pre-school", a little frustrating due to the fact that I provide preschool education for all the kids when they hit 3yrs. If they stay with me by the age of 4.5 to 5 they are more than prepared for kindergarten. Parents are still opting out on my offer to prepare the child for kindergarten and in some cases actually, dropping their child to me in the am, picking the child up at noon and bringing them to preschool then picking them up from preschool and bringing back to me for the rest of the day.....why? so much work and extra pay for the preschool and my services when they could have the ease of one drop and their child would still be prepared for kindergarten. I think it's like the new fad, everyone is doing it!!!!!!!
    just had a Mom tell me yesterday that she planned to posibly move their daughter into a half day maybe full day preschool in the fall.....this has happened too many times, I informed her, her daughter will be off the schedule come september and I will need to fill the spot before then, so...IF she decides to go with half day I will need to know SOON. otherwise the spot will be filled, can't sit and wait for parents to make up their minds, and put my income on hold!

Euphoric !
    Sunnydays this is the daycare over on Tompkins (Cumberland Hub Daycare).

http://cumberlandhubdaycare.ca/program-statement/fees/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Thanks Playfelt...I'd better not raise my fees anytime soon...I am close to what the centre is charging! However, so far I haven't had a hard time filling my spots, so I guess it depends what people are looking for. I agree with Kidlove...it is a trend to do more at a younger age with kids in general...they need be enrolled in every activity and educational program possible..it's really sad!

you know what else I find really sad? I always think, if I had a separate Day Care had it all decked out for the kids, brightly painted walls and dif. little rooms ,for learning and play and eating and nap, and of course the sep infant room, child freindly EVERYTHING...( a dream for me..I think a dream for anyone in the daycare field) anyway, parents would be flocking to me, "did you here about xxx daycare?", "I have been on the wait list for months" bla bla bla, like you here about all the "overrated" preschools. Sometimes I want to say....What do I not have that those programs have? the brightly colored walls or a little more square footage? I still provide the same education, and give (willing to bet) more love and care than the AMAZING preschool, not to mention, offer full meals and snacks AND a lower charge. Why is our world so deep in the "show" of things, they have all lost the fundamental importance of care and well being of the children first and foremost? Not saying the preschool don't provide as good care as us but we are def not below them in time love and attention, yet parents seem to "flock" to them as soon as they can...to get on that coveted "wait list".