Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Worst interview ever!

just had the worst interview ever last night! id had a few not so great ones, that you know probably wont work out but this lady was a real winner! didnt crack a smile the entire time, interruped me every time i opened my mouth, came with 2 pages!! of questions and was so busy making notes about my home i dont think she heard any word i said! ugh i would really like to fill this space but i can just picture what kind of dcp this lady would be....my hubby thinks she just seemed nervous about leaving her son soon (mat leave is almost up) im not so inclined to believe that....

Expansive...
    Yikes it does seem awful but if this was her first round of interviews she might just be inexperienced and scared about leaving her child. Your husband might be right.

She might be taking the role of interviewer in a intimidating/business sense rather than trying to build a rapport and get a feel for you.
    That could just be inexperience.

When I was 25 and doing my first interviews to find a daycare provider - I also came with pages of questions i had printed out and found online and I went through them. I was such a nervous nelly and also examining everthing very seriously. After all, I was entrusting my beautiful baby to someone I barely knew.

Maybe that was what the daycare mom felt??? Try not to take it personally

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

Ya ... I do not mind someone having a 'checklist' for reference to make sure they cover all the pertinent questions ~ I have one myself and take my own notes when interviewing to help me remember one client from another after the fact

I actually prefer a client whose done some research and taking things seriously on choosing childcare cause they are more likely to value what I have to offer HOWEVER like everything in life it is about BALANCE ... a checklist is a 'reference' too but does not replace the flow of good ole honest 'conversation' with the person you are talking to to get a gut feeling and rapport going with them ~ by all means use the checklist if there is a lull in conversation for sure as a step stone for getting another conversation going .... but firing off questions at someone ~ not cool!

I had someone you could here was using a list on the phone with me and it was obvious the checklist was not 'theirs' but something they printed off the net cause she was asking me 'can you tell me what your program does to limit STAFF turn over' ... ummm only staff is ME hon and if I am turning over you got issues
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

apples and bananas
    I had a client interview with me, she brought a list of questions and they were text book! Right off of a website I'm sure. She would let me answer and then she wouldn't say anything, just stare at me, like I should be saying more. LOL There were a lot of awkward moments. After she left she requested to visit during daycare hours with her child to see my yard. I backed out quickly and told her that space had been filled and I took another client.

Months later... desperate to fill a spot, I called her back in. She was fantastic, took the space, and she's been my best client. Eager to work with me, communicates well with me etc.

Maybe a second look if you're really trying to fill the space.

Euphoric !
    I had a similar experience to Apples and bananas...I had a parent who came off as quite abrupt in the interview and asked a lot of questions I had never been asked before...did a really thorough look around etc. BUT, I knew her child had already been in 2 daycares and she jsut couldn't afford to make another mistake...so I gave them a chance. They have been with me for 2 months now and I have had zero problems with the parent in terms of respect etc. Her child is also coming along really well and starting to thrive...when he came to me he was kind of angry and defiant (well he is a two year old)....but he is now happy, smiley, and positive most of the time I was really nervous to to take them on, but it has worked out really well. So, the parent in this case may just be really nervous and worried about sending her baby to a stranger. You may find that she loosens up if you take her on (the parent in my case has really loosened up...it only took a week or two as she began to trust me). However, of course, if she seemed disrespectful or rude, then you may choose not to work with her.

When I was looking for care for my oldest, I had 8 pages of questions attached to a clipboard. I have a background in business. I was very uncomfortable with having someone else watch my son and I didn't want to forget to ask anything.

When I have people coming for interviews now, I ask them to write down any questions they might have. So far none have brought any.

Starting to feel at home...
    The fact that she didn't smile and was interrupting you might have me questioning whether or not I want to work with her.

However, to be completely honest, I'm pretty sure that would be me looking for daycare for my daughter. I get nervous/anxious, so I may not smile due to that and I know I find myself interrupting people when I am anxious. Definitely not on purpose! I am one to have my list of questions, make sure they were answered even if I shot them out instead of working them into conversation lol.... This basically happened when I was looking for a daycare to put my daughter in part-time when she was just a baby... I am sure they thought I was annoying lol... but I know they are happy with me now because I am extremely organized, always communicate with them about any issues that may arise on my side or theirs, and I am very pleasant!

My suggestion would be to set up a second meeting and see how that goes!
    "If we all could see the world through the eyes of a child, we would see the magic in everything!" - Chee Vai Tang

Euphoric !
    I don't mind 'the list' coming in with the interviewing family. I think that's kind of impressive and shows that they are looking for a great quality caregiver and are doing their homework. But this woman sounded arrogant and pushy and too many red flags in my opinion. Not listening to you or letting you finish a sentence means to me that she does not and will never value you.

haha i had a paret ask me if i drink......yes totally i get hammered and play with the kids haha as if my personal life after work is any of her buisness. meanwhile her child is running around pulling thngs everywhere dumping crayons she called back to start care i said no way!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mommysdaycare View Post
    haha i had a paret ask me if i drink......yes totally i get hammered and play with the kids haha as if my personal life after work is any of her buisness. meanwhile her child is running around pulling thngs everywhere dumping crayons she called back to start care i said no way!
    That's a good one! Did you offer her a beverage when she arrived? We meet all kinds in this business!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.