Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Well, guess I won't be doing that again!

Hi ladies!
    I guess being nice doesn't get you very far with people these days.
    Like most of you, I have in my policy that sick days must be paid in full...as in, if the child does not attend due to illness, I still expect to be paid for that day. It's never been an issue!
    This week was a doozy for my group...It started on Wednesday, when I sent a puker home mid day. The next morning, my cell was flooded with texts from the other parents saying that their children were sick too! So, Thursday and Friday I had NO children at all! This has never happened!
    Despite my policy stating that sick days are to be paid in full, I had a sympathy/guilt feeling that they were paying for these days when I had no one at all in my daycare. So, out of the goodness of my heart, and because it is close to the holidays and money is tight for EVERYONE (yes, me too!) I sent out this email:

Hello Families,

WOW, what a bug! I'm so sorry to hear that your little ones are all feeling under the weather. Today (and tomorrow!) was way too quiet around here and I wasn't sure what to do with myself! Hopefully, a nice relaxing weekend is what your babies need, and we'll be back with full energy on Monday morning. Give them all hugs and kisses from me, and I hope they feel much better soon xoxo.
    Also, despite my policy indicating that sick days must be paid in full, it is generally the case that I am actually still working and open. Because for 2 days in a row I will have NO children because of this nasty bug, please subtract ONE day of fees from next week's payment in an effort to help you out especially this close to the holidays. I hope this helps you all out!

Have a great weekend (and I hope you all stay healthy too!),

"Lou"

The reason I'm miffed is because I did not receive ONE thank you from any of them!!! I did not have to discount them a day at all, they have all signed the contract stating that sick days are paid in full, but I wanted to be nice due to the fact that I had no children to care for at all, and to be empathetic to their situations. Guess, I won't be doing that again!!! I always boast that I have such great families, and in most respects I do...they just all dropped the ball on this one and they can bet their butts I won't be offering this "kindness" again. Am I overreacting???

apples and bananas
    It was a really nice thing to do. And although we can say we are doing something out of the goodness of our heart there's always that little peice of us that would like to be appreciated for it regardless.

Fact is... these parents are probably at home thinking... "of course I'm not paying her, my child is sick becuase of her daycare" It's not the way it should be, but it's a natural reaction for sure.

We always have to be careful when we break our own rules... We set a new standard.

Try this next time... if you want to do something nice like this, accept payment as always and use it for a gift card. So maybe give them back a tim hortons or starbucks or favorite restaurant gift card for that amount with a note that says "hope everyones feeling better"

I hope your parents come with some appreciation on Monday. Maybe they just haven't checked their email or they're sick.

Expansive...
    I know I SHOULDN'T expect a thank you of any kind...but I definitely do! I guess this is more of a vent, than anything. This job already comes with so little appreciation.

Sadly, most parents would view it the way apples and bananas put it.

I would be upset as well. Whether they acknowledge it this upcoming week or not....you did something nice for your dc families. Sometimes you have to treat the parents like you would the DC kids...since they did not acknowledge your thoughtfulness with a mere simple thank you...I would not extend my kindness (especially when dealing with money) to them again.

Euphoric !
    You are being too sweet. Unfortunately, I'm strict with my contract and payments and have cut down on my gift giving and all the crafting I did in the first few years I ran my daycare. Why? Because I rarely got a thank you. I suppose you get used to it and learn to view the parents as business only. Sad, but true. Keep all your nurturing for the children, remember to always be professional with the parents. It's the only way to be successful and not feel bitter.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Yes Lou, you should expect a thank you. I agree with Momof4. At first, I too was overly generous with gifts for parents and kids and would rarely receive a thank you for anything I did. I couldn't believe it at first and am still not used to it. I now ask the parents if dcb or dcg liked their gift. If they squirm or are embarrassed that I had to ask, so be it. It is very rude and inconsiderate to not acknowledge and say thank you for a gift. Lou, I also agree with a and b. I would not do this again. If you want to gift then do a gift card. I do have to say though, you are incredibly sweet to have thought of them......even though they didn't deserve your generousity

Outgoing
    They aren't going to thank you for something they didn't want to do in the first place. Very few parents truly understand that the cost of child care is for the slot not the direct physical care of the child. Some will agree to pay for the slot regardless of attendance but precious few will feel good about having to pay in any absence. It's a rare parent who understands that the hard cost of operating child care is in the housing, equipment, utilities for the housing, etc. When I'm on vacation my bills go down about twenty dollars a week. The direct physical care and supervision of the children is a very very small amount of the daily fee. Most parents believe it is what they are paying for.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to daycarewhisperer For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    When I first opened my family daycare I didn't charge my clients for missed days and found that they would leave their children with family for free daycare and ended up losing a lot of money. I stick to my policies now. Once you start a precedent clients will keep expecting the same and take advantage of your kind heartedness.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to daycaremom9 For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I probably wouldn't have admitted that everyone in the daycare was sick because that did seem to point a finger towards your daycare being the cause.

The parents were therefore thinking that is the least you could do and I bet some of them even thought you shouldn't charge at all since it came from the daycare and spread through.

On the other hand - maybe some will say thanks face to face when they see you or acknowledge it.

It was a nice gesture on your part

Outgoing
    I know how you fee. I was looking after a group of school aged children for a couple of years and they were all getting older and quite self sufficient. I could send them out to play without having to sit and watch so i had time to myslef so just before summer, i sent out a letter telling parents that given the age and indepence of all the kids and that they are a great group of responsible and respectful young men, that I was reducing my weekly rate for the summer. I expected to be flooded with grateful parents and i did not get one thank you. I seriously regretted my judgement on that one LOL>

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Hi ladies!
    I guess being nice doesn't get you very far with people these days.
    Like most of you, I have in my policy that sick days must be paid in full...as in, if the child does not attend due to illness, I still expect to be paid for that day. It's never been an issue!
    This week was a doozy for my group...It started on Wednesday, when I sent a puker home mid day. The next morning, my cell was flooded with texts from the other parents saying that their children were sick too! So, Thursday and Friday I had NO children at all! This has never happened!
    Despite my policy stating that sick days are to be paid in full, I had a sympathy/guilt feeling that they were paying for these days when I had no one at all in my daycare. So, out of the goodness of my heart, and because it is close to the holidays and money is tight for EVERYONE (yes, me too!) I sent out this email:

Hello Families,

WOW, what a bug! I'm so sorry to hear that your little ones are all feeling under the weather. Today (and tomorrow!) was way too quiet around here and I wasn't sure what to do with myself! Hopefully, a nice relaxing weekend is what your babies need, and we'll be back with full energy on Monday morning. Give them all hugs and kisses from me, and I hope they feel much better soon xoxo.
    Also, despite my policy indicating that sick days must be paid in full, it is generally the case that I am actually still working and open. Because for 2 days in a row I will have NO children because of this nasty bug, please subtract ONE day of fees from next week's payment in an effort to help you out especially this close to the holidays. I hope this helps you all out!

Have a great weekend (and I hope you all stay healthy too!),

"Lou"

The reason I'm miffed is because I did not receive ONE thank you from any of them!!! I did not have to discount them a day at all, they have all signed the contract stating that sick days are paid in full, but I wanted to be nice due to the fact that I had no children to care for at all, and to be empathetic to their situations. Guess, I won't be doing that again!!! I always boast that I have such great families, and in most respects I do...they just all dropped the ball on this one and they can bet their butts I won't be offering this "kindness" again. Am I overreacting???