Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

So frustrated, don't know what to do..please help!

You might of read my last post regarding my 'blunt parents' that's one issue I deal with, (also note the parents had 2 no-shows just when I opened my daycare..red flags maybe!!) now the other 2 kids I keep they come with different illness. Nothing super serious that I can send them home but my kids who have really weak immune systems end up getting it and it always morphs into something totally worse. Last year when I wasn't doing daycare my kids just got the typical cold/ear infection. This year it's been all that PLUS scarlet fever and now phenomena! I'm constantly having to close because my kids are really ill..in bed ill. I think it's because of one of my daycare kids bringing it in. I can't keep toys out of his mouth no matter how much I preach not to do it, he will stick his fingers in his mouth and touch all he can touch etc...I'm just at my witts end. I only keep a few kids a few days a week because my home is just too small to accommodate much..However, I just feel my measly income is now covering all this extra medical crap. I feel like just shutting it down. I feel it's not worth it anymore.. my husband has been fortunate this year to get a new secure job with family in which he will see a 40-50% increase in income so that will help. My kids are currently sick so I am of course going to have to canc. again....if I do shut it down when/how in this type of circumstance?

apples and bananas
    I would suggest that if your children have a diagnosed immunity disorder of some sort that maybe a home daycare isn't right for you. However, we also have to remember that they will run into the same kids at school too. Snaughty noses rubbed on jackets and arms, boys spit, dirty hands on handles and washrooms! UGH! It's hard to keep our kids away from illness and it seems like you have had your share.

If there isn't a diagnosed immunity issue and you children just seem to pick up colds more frequently then you'd like, maybe talk to your doctor about taking something to boost their immune system. Not sure how old they are, but I find if I start vitamins at cold season my kids don't get it nearly as bad.

I don't think that home daycare is for everyone. I didn't start mine until my kids were school age and even now I struggle with closing for dr. appt or when my kids are sick. Your home daycare should better your quality of life, not make it worse.

How long have you been open? Because the first year is always the worst one, it get's much better from there.

My daughter's are older as well and since my daycare is in the basement with its on door to get in and out, when daycare kids are sick, I tell my girls to stay out of the daycare to avoid them getting sick. You cant really do that if you have smaller children. But just to say about school... they are really not as sick as when they were in daycare which was ALL THE TIME

Now about my daycare kids being sick... when the very little ones are so sick thats its coughing nonsense and runny nose every second down to their chin, I send them home. I did have cases of runny nose last march-april-may-august lol yep I guess anytime through the year so, I really try to keep the place as germ free as I can but not as I wished obviously, its impossible to run around them with a box of kleenex every second. If the kids are real germ balls and the parents cant come and get them to keep them home, I either put them in their high chair or the playpen especially when I am busy and cant manage the ''stop putting toys in your mouth'' situation. I found that situation to be less stressful then constantly run around them to make sure I keep an eye on their every move. So far the kids dont mind, I give them a few toys that they play with and after that I clean the toys right away when their done playing.

Some great advice given by Apples and Bananas. The first year is the worst. Your own little ones are exposed to many viruses (same as if they were in a daycare setting or starting school). Talk to your children's doctor. See if there is anything you can do to boost their immunity (besides good food nutrition).

Unfortunately, in this industry we (and our families) are exposed to so many illnessess and viruses. Amend your contract so that you get a few days of sick pay. That's what I plan to do when I update my contract in my new fiscal year.

I have two daycare siblings whose mother is fighting the flu at home right now. Guess where her kids are? Yup. Spreading that nasty virus allover my house and other daycare kids

Euphoric !
    I am going through the get my toys out of your mouth syndrome with a 14 month old right now. I have a play yard I can use to section off an area and I put some of the baby toys in there - the kind that are easily washed and meant for chewing. Those are the only ones that can go in the mouth and they are washed daily. If the child "forgets" after the first warning they go in that area to play. I get that being oral is normal but so is having toys to play with that are not slobbery so in fairness to the older kids the younger one has to be limited. It also saves me a ton of washing.

Expansive...
    You know what, I also think this year is just a REALLY bad year for viruses/infections!!! Last year, not a single one of my daycare children came down with anything semi serious! But strep is rampant in our area now as well as influenza. I've had kids staying home left, right and centre! And it's almost like they've all had a constant cold for about a month. It's been rough, I hear ya! I've been combatting it by dramatically upping my sanitization, and sticking like glue to my illness policies regarding when kids need to go home. (((BIGHUGS))) to you! It's a TOUGH job, there is no questioning that!

Euphoric !
    I have to agree....this is the wosrt cold/flu season I have encountered! This week I have had 2-3 home at a time for days on end...terrible fever, cough, runny noses...ugh! I just sent one home today who had no fever, but was coughing, sneezing snot out and down to his chin and was absolutely miserable...I know parents have to work, but if the child isn't coping with the day, I send them home. My daughter caught this one as well and is coughing up a storm..so far my son is okay, but I'm waiting to see. It is a hazard...but then they get sick if you send them to another daycare as well...then you have to figure out what to do...taking time off work etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    You know what, I also think this year is just a REALLY bad year for viruses/infections!!! Last year, not a single one of my daycare children came down with anything semi serious! But strep is rampant in our area now as well as influenza. I've had kids staying home left, right and centre! And it's almost like they've all had a constant cold for about a month. It's been rough, I hear ya! I've been combatting it by dramatically upping my sanitization, and sticking like glue to my illness policies regarding when kids need to go home. (((BIGHUGS))) to you! It's a TOUGH job, there is no questioning that!

apples and bananas
    Playfelt! I love the seperate play yard idea for the appropriate toys to mouth. I have a `15 month old and I'm tired of hearing myself say "not in your mouth"

that's a great way to let them explore and not get everything slobery.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by apples and bananas View Post
    Playfelt! I love the seperate play yard idea for the appropriate toys to mouth. I have a `15 month old and I'm tired of hearing myself say "not in your mouth"

that's a great way to let them explore and not get everything slobery.
    It's also a great incentive to the parents when they ask how child's day was and what they did and I have to say what they missed out on because they were too busy sitting in the baby corner chewing the toys. Then to lighten the mood add something like really wish all these teeth would come in and she would be ready to play with the non-chewable toys too.

The truth is the onus is on the parents to do the same at home.