Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Rates for Newborns.....

Good afternoon ladies....I have a question for all of you: do you have different rates for caring for a newborn ? I was contacted last night by a young lady who is looking to place her 4 week old son in care. I am located in Ottawa, and I charge $45 a day for my "regular" full timers - they are all 1 to 2 years of age. Should I charge a premium to provide care for a newborn ? I have three children of my own, so I know what a newborn entails - they are a lot more work. In addition, I have more than a few concerns about whether or not I could successfully juggle the demands of a wee one, while keeping my current crew happy and stimulated. Any feedback would be awesome. Thanks in advance girls !

Yes, I would increase to $50.00 if I were you. That said, I would not take child that young. It would change the dynamic of my daycare routine as the little one would dictate alot of the scheduling. Also, newborns are of course alot more hands on work which would tie you up from involving yourself with the other children. If you are questioning wether you can take on this extra work I wouldn't consider it. IMO

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Even at $50 premium I would never consider a child so young. It will throw off your dynamic with your current crew. Personally, I would decline and keep looking for a little one a wee bit older. Like 18 Months LOL! But that's just me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    aww i love newborns!

ok back to reality...i would definitly charge more...atleast $5-10 more than your normal daily rate. Agree that it will change the dynamic of the group, but not necessarily for bad. If it was me, a lot would factor in. whether they are going to be part time or full time, when they are wanting to start ( big difference between a 4 week old and a 12 week old for example)....if you are really prepared and stay organized this could be quite nice...plus it could be a potential dck you get to see grow for 4+ years from the beginning- that is pretty cool! best of luck on whatever you decide

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeymama For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think I would be worried about liability with a child that yong. Babies that age can die in their sleep etc. I know it can happen at any age, but the risk is so much higher in the first 6 months. I am a worry-wart....I always imagine the worst!

Euphoric !
    First, definitely raise your rate by $5. Second, you're soooo lucky! I know it will be hard at first, but the payoff with that little one will be huge! I've not had one quite that young, but have had 2 at 3-4 months of age. The first is now 6 and has moved on to school. Her mom and I remain close despite the 15 yr age difference and the little girl still comes on weekends when her mom works. She comes to family functions out of town, hangs out here with us and is included in many family events. Essentially, she's one of us. The other is now 13 months old and I adore her! She's absolutely adorable, sweet and loves me right back. When you think about it, the mother must be quite distraught with the idea of leaving her very little one with anyone. The fact that she picked you is an amazing leap of faith. She must think very highly of you. In short, I think leaving an infant in our care is that absolute highest form of a compliment. It's a very special bond that you may find goes beyond any that you've had with other children. Congratulations It's a wonderful experience.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Poor Mom to have to be in a position to leave her little one soo young! We are so blessed to be 'allowed' a year leave here in Canada.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I charge the same price no matter the age of the child but parents have to supply all baby food and bottles so there's no cost at all for me for babies so I have a higher profit already because I'm not supplying their food. That's the way I see it anyway. The youngest baby I've ever accepted was 4 months old and I admit I was very nervous about it. Sunnydays made some good points that I agree with for such a young baby. Be careful.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Starting to feel at home... angelina's Avatar

$60 is max rate here in South Keys

$60 is the max rate for my area in south keys.

i took a 9 month old in trial basis, in addition to my crew of 3 toddlers.
    it change the dynamic of the group, less outing, i get stress on craft times.

well, to cut the story short, the mama was psycho who never paid me on week 2, so it was cancelled.

so, my happy group was back in order.
    she got free care for two weeks.

we are all back in business.
    i am mom of 3 kids, babies just need more attention and my toddlers are use to outings now. So, it was big change. But if you don't do much outing, maybe it is worth it.

do you have trial period? use it and test the waters, before signing a long term contract.

all the best. angie
    If they whine, give them cheese. If they're not hugable, hug yourself. (me)

Outgoing
    For a newborn I would charge $60. Taking care of a newborn is one thing-taking care of a newborn within a group of toddlers is another. When I went back to work my baby was only 12 weeks old and that was hard because all the other kiddies were around 18 months. When I started out I took all ages-now I won't take under 11-12month olds.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Daycare123 For This Useful Post: