Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    Playfelt is right as always. The mailman doesn't give me anything, but I give him a holiday card and I see him quite often too when we are outside. He's providing a valuable service for us. We are providing a valuable service for our clients. It's nice when they show their appreciation, whether it's a holiday gift or a coffee brought in once in a while during the year. It's just nice to know we are truly appreciated once in a while. But a daily thank you is my favourite.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Expansive...
    I managed to get a group photo of them all in front of my Christmas tree..all looking at the camera...and all smiling! It was a miracle! LOL! So together we're all going to decorate our own frames and I'll put that photo in them...and I'll also spend about $5-$10 on a book each. I love giving books as gifts. I'm also considering getting each family a $5 gift card to Timmies and writing "It takes a lot of hard work to raise such an amazing child like _______, have a coffee on me and Merry Christmas!"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I got somthing small for the two I have in care now....Winners deals and $10 each. a Chuck truck toy in a parking garage (for the 3yr old) and 24 pack mini nail polish kit w/ nail stickers & diamonds (for the 5yr old)...both things they'll each love.

The mom has made many comments over the last few weeks that money is super tight and it's obvious to see in their clothing etc. So I'm not expecting anything...but I wanted to do a little something for the kids either way.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

My small gifts to the families are a "thanks" to them for allowing me to be a part of their child's life over the last year. I don't expect anything in return or gifts for my services but do very much enjoy recieving them when the families give them to show they value me and the quality service I provide.

Everyone who feels obliged to give a gift to the parent's in return for recieving one just proves how brainwashed we are by the media and society surrounding Xmas. I don't mean this personally to anyone as it's not really something most conciously choose, psychology folks. It takes time, experience and a strong mind not to get roped into the gimik of gift giving without real meaning. Its thanks to the way "stuff" is marketed to us through, movies, commercials, music playing in the store, and placement of product in stores and pictures in various types of media etc etc. While it means something different to everyone, religious or not, to give a gift for that reason, tells me that you shouldn't give a gift at all. I never give to recieve and nobody should expect things in return. If you make a gift or buy a gift for the parents and the only thing you are thinking about is making someone happy with a small token gesture to wish them a Merry Christmas, then perfect but anything else, you probably shouldn't bother. Most people on here constantly say they feel unappreciated by anything they do for the parents anyway, so I'm sure if thats the case It makes more sense to put that money into your Xmas crafts for the kids who in turn will be gifting these lifelong memories to their families....Just my 2 cents

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I give each child a small gift (limit of $10) and the children make their parents a gift. Since I have a number of children who parents have separated, we make 2, one for mom and one for dad.

I don't always get gifts from the families, its nice when I do, but definitely not necessary.

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree with Brightsparks and Playfelt. I provide a service to them, not the other way around. I shouldn't have to feel that because other providers give gifts to the children and the parents, that I have to as well

What I do every year, is help the children make a personalized craft, such as a photo ornament for their tree or a handprint craft. I find the parents love when the children give these as gifts to them at Christmas and I did as well when I was a daycare parent years ago. It gives them a keepsake of their children's time spend with me, that they can look back on years from now

Outgoing
    I don't give gifts to my clients. Not for Christmas, not on the birthday's, not at any other time.

We tend to make keep-sake crafts for the big events - Christmas, Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc. Things with hand-prints or which show their development over the years.

Euphoric !
    I spend $5 per child on a gift for Christmas. I get the kids to make a handmade card and a handmade ornament for the tree for their parents.

Euphoric !
    This year each child is getting a piece of clothing and a toy. They are wooden puzzles, cars, monster inc toys and a frozen magnetic doll set.

Their gifts to the parents are homemade tree ornaments, pic frame and baking.

I always give a gift whether the parent gives me one or not. Mickyc and I were just talking about this, this week. Some people are gift givers and some aren't! I appreciate when the parent tells me how much they like it here and are glad they found me. I consider that better than most gifts!