Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cloth Diaper Experience Anyone?

Hi there,

Does anyone out there have a child using cloth diapers?

I find that everytime I leave this child in their cloth diapers during nap (two 1/2 hours long) with a fresh diaper on. He comes out soaking wet, pants and all. I have never had this before (always had disposable diapers).

It is so discusting to have to clean out the playpen and was the linens everyday (well three times a week as he is part time). What would you do? Is this normal for cloth diapers? I also wonder what the parents do at night time if this is how cloth diapers operate?

Thank you for reading

Euphoric !
    I have had numerous dck's in cloth diapers as well as my own daughter using them and I have almost never had this happen! What kind of cloth diapers is she using? I did have an issue with the diaper service diapers that one client was using...they tended to leak and I had to change the child's pants. But all other cloth diaper wearers I have had no issue with at all. Have you talked to the parents? Maybe they can provide a nighttime cloth diaper for naptime? Usually at night you use something thicker and more absorbent...although some people use disposables at night.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the information. I will have to check to see the brand (he is not here today) on Monday and perhaps mention it to the family.

Euphoric !
    The two worst brands I have encoutnered are Kushies and Sweet Peach. Hope it's not one of those!

Yup ~ some cloth diaper brands just suck and some kids are 'camels' and hold their pee until sleep time and let go ~ personally I would let the parents know about the issue and ask them to send enough diapers so that I can double 'diaper' him with two inserts if they have inserts or two full diapers and than the covering!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    Hmmm, I'm with sunnydays and don't have any problem with cloth diapers. Obviously the ones your dcbaby is wearing isn't properly fitted. Can they double up on the inserts inside the diaper so it holds more pee? My daughter used cloth for her children too and she never had that problem either.

I don't pay attention to brand names but the ones my daughter uses have velcro closures and the ones my dcfamily uses have lots of snaps. She has them all snapped so they fit properly at the bottom so I only have to do 4 snaps at the top when I change him.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Expansive...
    My kids hold their pee and then let it all out at sleep time.. It is astounding how much they wet.

But I cloth diaper and rarely have a leak. I love flip liners. Hemp soakers are also great. It can be a bit of trial and error to get it right but as the parents for any suggestions, you should not have to deal with that.

Starting to feel at home... Serendipity's Avatar
    I have a 7 month old who is using Bum Genius brand cloth diapers. He has ALWAYS wet through all his clothing at least once per day since starting with me. Mom started bringing the ones with the double liners to help but it was still happening. I was going crazy having to wash everything so often that I almost considered telling mom I would no long be willing to allow the cloth diapers unless she brough plastic pants to cover the diapers.
    Mom did alittle reasearch and came back and told me that what was happening was that when the diapers were being washed/soaked they weren't being "stripped" properly so they had build up left on them of laundry soap and even urine that wasn't completely washed out so when the baby urinated, the urine was basically just beading off as if the diapers were water proof rather than absorbing anything.
    Bottom line is after mom changed how she washed and stripped the diapers, it hasn't happened any more so maybe you should ask the mom how she launders them as from what I have read, it does require specific techniques or processes to get them clean.

Euphoric !
    I subjected my son's daycare to cloth diapers for a few months. Ew. I will not....will NOT.....use cloth diapers here. Who's got time to change the linens every time they nap? I would never wash them here. They'd go home as mine did....In a big pail with a lid to be dealt with by parents. Honestly, I understand the whole desire to go cloth. I tried it too. However, it's very impractical for daycare, IMO. In a disposable, if you're out and someone is wet, you know they'll be okay for a while till you get back. In cloth, they're just wet. With 4 other kids running around, who's got the time?

I used Cloth diapers for both of my boys; loved them...but I too had leaks at first. When I see the amount of disposables I throw out now with my DCKs (to remain in landfills for years), I shudder.... but that being said I certainly don't preach to anyone on whether to use one or the other...to each his own. I would first request extra inserts and a plastic pant (I used to use Kushi's plastic covers; pretty cheap @ Walmart) to put over top. But to refuse Cloth Diapers at all...please no.....
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~