Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One More Question...

Dressing for outside. Today it is 4 degrees out where I live. I am wearing a sweater, vest, hat, and gloves and still feel a bit of a chill. Out of all the seven children that I care for only one has come with hat and mittens.

I have a two year old that came in the thinnest spring coat I have ever seen, no hat, mittens.. nothing.

Soo I have three children screaming outside because they are cold. I must look like a monster to any passer bys. I keep saying outload ' I am sorry that you are cold, we will have to get mommy and daddy to bring you more clothes.'' or 'I know your cold, I am sorry that mom and dad did not dress you properly and I do not have any extra clothes but we need to spend some time outside'

This is so stupid because parents know with my program I try to spend upwards of three hours or more outside, I believe fresh air and outdoor play is fantastic for children... I just cant believe that this is how people send their child to daycare.

I want to tell them at pick up that your child was crying outside for over an hour because they were could. Could you bring in some proper winter clothes for next week?

Arg!! Just cant believe this is all and I needed to vent! Its freaking cold outside people, that does not mean we stay inside all day long!!!!!!!!!!

write a policy stating:
    What to bring and if they don't no care until they get it. even if they and child have to go home, pick it up and come back.
    i have this policy, so do many other providers.

Yes I agree with Valerie that you need to write a policy and send it home to be signed.

Unfortunatly though, in the meantime IMO if they aren't dressed for outside then you need to keep them inside. Shorter periods of time outside would be better and maybe check the hourly forecast and take them out when it is warmer in the afternoon.

Just had to ask... How do you get anything else done in your program if you spend 3 hours a day outside?? My kiddies eat at 11:30 so would need to go outside at 8:30 leaving only 1 hour from drop off till we went outside. Then they nap till 3 and are picked up at 5/5:15...I don't know how you would manage to get anything else done. My outdoor time is 1-1 1/2 most days. Sometimes when its to cold its only 1/2 an hour and other days we go for a long walk and it might be 2 hours but this isn't everyday.

If I was a parent and I was told that you had my child outside for an hour crying the whole time because they were cold, I would be furious with you. Just being honest, because while it is the parent's fault for not having the common sense to bring suitable clothing,(believe me I have them from time to time too), it was still your call as the daycare provider as to whether you took them outside or not and even if spending time inside versus getting fresh air means you all get cabin fever and bounce off the walls big time, its just not healthy for the children to be outside if they arent properly dressed to the point that they are crying.

Send the policy home, have them sign it and if they can't play by your rules terminate.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I love to take the children outside, but I do spend less time outside when the children don't bring the proper attire. I believe it is part of my job to make sure the children are safe, and that means not exposing them to the cold for too long if the parents haven't equipped them. That said, I do mention to the parents that we had to cut short outdoor time because their child didn't have the right gear, and in each case, the right gear showed up the very next day. If I forgot to bring the outdoor stuff for my child, I would be furious if my child were made to suffer for my irresponsibility.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to treeholm For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I understand your frustration as I feel most parents underdress their kids too. But, I am on them like crazy and telling them exaclty what I need and that thier child was cold etc. I do go inside if someone is cold enough to be crying as it isn't the child's fault that the parent hasn't dressed him/her properly. I then make sure to tell the parent that we had to go in because their child wasn't dressed well and was crying from cold. Make a list of what you require (be specific) and tell parents they need to supply it. Outside time is important to me too, so I really make sure they all have suitable clothing. I think sometimes parents don't spend any time outside themselves and so they don't realize how cold it can feel to be out there for an hour or more at a time. You have to tell them!

Euphoric !
    I spend about an hour and a half outside daily and definately most of my families spend very little time outside as they leave the snow pants at my house so they don't forget them.

Starting to feel at home...
    I also agree that as much as you want to be outside and it's the parents' fault for not dressing the children up properly, it's pretty heartless to let THREE children cry for over an hour outside because they're cold. Think of the fact that they are smaller than you and so they get colder WAY faster than an adult would. You have to be able to make the call to cut the outside time short even if you don't want to. I also understand that it's not fair to the other kids to have their outside time cut short and that's the message you need to send to the parents who don't dress their kids warmly. You have to be firm with them. Check the bags at drop off and send them back home to get the proper clothes if you have to. It's not right to let the kids freeze to pay for the parents' lack of common sense.

I agree ~ I love my outside time and not going to miss it ~ I have a clear policy about what is expected to be here and if parents have not sent the proper clothing for the season they get one 'freebie' reminder and next day they get asked if they have everything needed and than get turned away at the front door to go get it and come back if they forgot again!

In meantime I have put MY SOCKS on children if need be to keep their hands warm and have put my spouses wool socks over shoes and a plastic bag over it all with a twist tie to keep feet warm when boots were forgotten ... it might not look pretty but it does the JOB and IMO it is not fair to the child to suffer because the parent 'lack of planning' and it is also not fair for the entire group to miss outdoor time when their parents DID provide what was needed ... also agree with the other ladies if the kid ends up with 'frostbite' fingers or toes WE are still LIABLE even though the parent is the one who forgot their stuff because we 'chose to take them out anyway'.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Starting to feel at home...
    policy is a must
    Last edited by samantha3; 12-14-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: error

Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    Just had to ask... How do you get anything else done in your program if you spend 3 hours a day outside?? ....
    It can be done ~ I spend more than that amount of time outside when the weather supports it to be honest... I can do my program 'inside or outside' .... we do creative art outside, circle outside, picnic when the weather is nice and my backyard has pretty much all the 'areas' that my playroom does from blocks to quiet book / puzzles and so forth that they can access ~ in fact it was warm enough this morning here in my region that we did both and went to playgroup and went to the park afterward my crew wanted a picnic outside so they could spend longer at the park so I let them.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi