Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Asking for References

How did you all go about asking your parents for references? Did you ask them to write one, or did you just ask for permission to contact?

I need to get references from my current clients, but I am unsure of how to go about doing it. I don't want them to feel like they need to give me one (but it sure would be nice). Also, since most of my families found me off of here, I was hoping to direct the to leave a review on here as well.

TIA.

Euphoric !
    I usually just ask them if they mind being one of my work references. I've not had anyone act like they were bothered by it. Most are enthusiastic to help out. I also ask them if they wouldn't mind leaving a testimonial for me on this site. I copy it and keep it in my files for my website and future advertising.

Yup ~ just ask either verbally or in writing if you feel more confident

"Hello Parents ~ I am currently updating my professional portofolio in anticipation of having to interview for an upcoming space and was wondering if you could help me out by providing a written reference in regards to what you see as the strengths of my program, my customer service, my ability to handle conflict or adversity, etc. If you could please have them to me by XX date that would be greatly appreciated."

Basically since some people have no clue what to put in a letter of reference I basically list whatever I think I need more 'proof' of in my portfolio. I also ask for permission to place them not only in my portfolio but consent to put a blurb from it as a testimonial on my website.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I have my resume that I give to each family during an interview. At the bottom is a list of references of my past and current clients just with their names and phone number. I asked all of them for their permission to do that and if they would mind answering questions if anyone ever calls. They were all very quick to say yes. Of course I don't have the ones I terminated on my resume! You don't need a bunch of letters or anything, however I do have some nice letters of reference that a couple Moms wrote when they were leaving and thank you notes from a few others when they left.

Also, do you have a website? Feel free to ask your parents to put testimonials on there. I did and couldn't believe the nice words that they wrote.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Outgoing
    Thanks everyone! I do have a website, Momof4, but I never thought to have a testimonial page...I may just have to see if I can work that one out!

Starting to feel at home...
    I ask if they would mind being a reference for future families. I ask how they would prefer to be contacted phone/ email. I only ever give out contact info on families after I have had an interview with prospective family and they seem serious/ I like them. If a family is leaving care I ask if they'd mind writing a letter of recommendation.

Euphoric !
    Yes, the testimonial page is a wonderful idea. I have one on my website as well. And like Momof4, I was absolutely shocked at what wonderful things people said about me. My head swelled substantially!