Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

How old is too old for diapers?

So my new dcb is 3 and in diapers full time (pee and poop). When I accepted him into care I was told he was fine, then on his first day they come in and mum says we tried for months and he would just go in his underware and then carry on playing! He won't even say its him - I just changed 3 babies too find out who stinks!!! So what do I do

IMO there is no magic age anymore ... the readiness to train is dependent on so many things!

I start exposing children to the concept of the potty at 18 months and on average children are fully trained by 3 in my group ~ however I have seen children who are over 4 still not trained cause they just refuse and it is a huge struggle and well not worth the stress and battle so back in diaper they go ... and than one day wham they are without any fight or struggle they just wake up one morning and decide they are ready?

If he is not able to indicate the need to go and is willing to SIT in a soiled underwear than ya likely not ready to push training!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    I have one that just turned 3. He has had some success, but it's completely because I catch him at the right time. There is no instinct at all yet. Some days he'll tell me when he needs a new diaper and others he looks at me like I'm crazy when I ask if he has pooped.

I beleive he will do it when he's good and ready. I have given him all of the tools. I'm consistent with mom at home and now we just encourage and wait.

i remember when my son was little I would bribe him with all sorts of things to make him toilet train. At the end of the day he only did it when I left him alone.

IMO 3. I hate changing older kids bums. I am very understanding if they are unable to be in underwear full-time at this age but I fully expect parents to be making a solid effort at home and the children to be engaged in the potty training by this point.

Euphoric !
    My contract states 30 days accident free before containment is not required. If there is an accident then the 30 days containment rules starts over. I don't have time for accidents, the time it takes to do the cleaning, let alone the staining and smell. I had one little girl wearing her pullups all the way until she went to JK at age 3.75 years old because she kept peeing at naptime.

You have rules for a reason, so stick to them and do what you have to do but all of this should be discussed and agreed upon at the interview and contract signing stage.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

I have a 3.5yr old DCB that is still in diapers. Will NOT tell me when he has to go, but is perfectly able to go as he has done so in the past (hit and miss) . He would rather play, than take 5 min and use the potty. I'm tired of this becoming a power struggle. DCM is being lazy at home. So, whatever, no skin off my back. This kid is going to school in Sept. in diapers. That I am sure of. Next time I take on a new DKC, it will be in my contract that if they are NOT potty trained by age 3, the cost of daycare goes up!

apples and bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by Other Mummy View Post
    I have a 3.5yr old DCB that is still in diapers. Will NOT tell me when he has to go, but is perfectly able to go as he has done so in the past (hit and miss) . He would rather play, than take 5 min and use the potty. I'm tired of this becoming a power struggle. DCM is being lazy at home. So, whatever, no skin off my back. This kid is going to school in Sept. in diapers. That I am sure of. Next time I take on a new DKC, it will be in my contract that if they are NOT potty trained by age 3, the cost of daycare goes up!
    Funny, I always joke about some days wanted to charge by the poop. Maybe we should after they turn 3. LOL

My daughter is a Sept baby. When she was young she wouldn't toilet train to save her life! She wore pull ups literally until weeks before JK started. I thought for sure I'd have to pull her registration. We tried everything! Everyone would always tell me to take her to registration for JK and get her excited about it and she would use the toilet. NOPE! Nothing worked. They just suddenly she started and that was the end of pull ups and the start of underwear. She's never even had an accident over night.

Kids are all different.

Something that worked for my son is using the phrase "stop what you're doing and go" It's part of an Elmo training video I think. He still says it sometimes when he's playing and he stops to go and he's almost 6.

Outgoing
    I have had children that age who are like that as well. While it can be frustrating, they all get there eventually.
    Last edited by jodaycare; 06-13-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Outgoing
    I have a dck who is 3.5 and still in pull-ups. Its hit and miss with her too. She does know when she is going but if she's busy playing she would rather go in her pull-up then stop to pee. I don't push them but encourage all the time. I remind her every so often but refuse to take her every 30 minutes to 'try'. Every child is different. I had one daycare girl totally trained by 20 months, not a single accident here, but generally its around the age of 3. With my own kids, my daughter was 2 and my son was 3. He was stubborn lol

Thanks everyone. His mum does and has tried with him so I guess he's just not ready!! I love the idea of charging by the poop - I would make loads!!!