Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Fever - what do you do?

If a dck comes down with a fever during the day, do you send them home? I'm in that situation right now - I'm going to keep her today (mom is bringing Tylenol) because she is the only dck here today - but normally I would send her home - is that what you would do?

Expansive...
    No I don't usually send home for just a fever unless they are miserable and some other symptoms are with it where I feel like I can't give them the attention they need.
    fever could just be teething so it would be silly to send home for that.
    Most of my parents send Tylenol in the supplies and sign a release saying I can administer if needed. I would probably give a dose and then see how it goes. If things don't get better or there is any other symptom than I would contact the parent.
    Just a fever -- probably not.
    Good luck with your afternoon

Depends on how high the fever is and any other symptoms that are accompanying it .... here if it is over 101 than they need to be home for observation but a low grade fever and a child who is otherwise coping in the program than I just monitor and ensure they stay hydrated and comfortable and let it do its job!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    If the temp is 102 or higher, I send home. I have been dealing with fevers this high since last week. All of the daycare kids have had it along with a wicked cough. I just sent one home as her fever came back after being off last Friday, she hasn't been well all week. She is going to the dr again, she was there on Fri and they were told it was a virus but now her voice is really hoarse and she isn't eating or drinking much. I send home at 102 regardless of other symptoms.

Starting to feel at home...
    I send home for anything over 101. I am conserned that you opened a "can of worms" letting mom bring meds then head to work.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to giraffe For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    yes. 101 means they go home. If they have a fever, they are have come down with something or are fighting something. I will not medicate them just to mask the problem so that they can go on with their day. I will give them Tylenol to relieve pain/symptoms while waiting for mom or dad, but fever means they go home.

Usually they are unable to keep up with the daycare pace if they have a fever.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gcj For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I do call parents to come pick up their child at 101F because the fever is a symptom of a greater problem, like an ear infection which we can't see. I do NOT medicate a child and don't want a parent to medicate their child and bring them to daycare because as soon as the fever returns in a couple hours they have to come pick up the child.

A virus typically has a low temp and I never send them home for a virus but a bacterial infection requires penicillan or other prescribed antibiotics and a doctor makes that diagnosis. That's the difference.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I send them home for anything over 100F. Teething for the most part doesn't go over 100F unless there is something else going on as well. I don't want any kids here with a fever.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Euphoric !
    I agree that it depends on how high the fever is and if the child is coping in the program. If the fever is over 101 then I call to pick up. I don't administer Tylenol/advil to the children in my care, Only dr prescribed medication.

apples and bananas
    I will advise the parent if the child starts a fever and keep them updated. I will keep the child if I can manage it and I always tell the parents that. If I have 4 strong and the child starts to fade then I will tell the parent to pick up. If I have one or 2 and cuddling in my arms is working then I won't inconvenience the parent. If the fever goes high grade then the parent needs to come. I will not medicate here and I don't want the child getting to a high fever that I can't handle.

Most parents offer to get the child right away or make arrangements for an early pick up if they start into a fever.

As far as contagious goes... well, whatever it is is contagious before the fever hits so at that point they might as well stay.