Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scarlet Fever

Outgoing

Scarlet Fever

my 4 yr old pt dcg was diagnosed with scarlet fever yesterday, she started the antibiotics last night.
    She was here on Friday, seemed totally fine, the developed rash, fever and couldnt eat or pee over the wknd.
    She was absent Monday and was at emerg the whole day. Sher is due back tomorrow.
    Do you think it is okay having her here because she has started the antibiotics and shouldnt be contageous anymore (right?? would you think?)

Anybody have experience with this?

apples and bananas
    I have no experiance with scarlett fever. My policy is a child can return from an illness requiring antibiotics after 24 full hours of being on the antibiotics. So, I would allow her back tomorrow if she started the antibiotics last night.

But, make sure you do some internet research and make sure the dr. has ok'd it first.

Euphoric !
    One of my grandsons had it last winter and he was very sick and lethargic for several days. It's kind of a cousin of Strept Throat and quite similar except for the rash. If I were you I would stick to my fever policy and no open sores. It's a bacterial infection and it's contagious so hopefully the parents will use good judgement when they decide if their little one is well enough to return to daycare but check her over at the door in the morning and ask the parents some questions.

You are there to protect ALL the children and your own family after all!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Scarlet fever, he can go back to daycare after he’s been on antibiotics for 24 hours and is well enough to fully join in all of the activities.

Read more: http://www.babycenter.ca/a552701/whe...#ixzz2FSXxcufF
    I got an email today from Baby Center.ca It had a article on When is your child too sick for daycare? The above is from the article. But at the end of the day, its whatever you are comfortable with. If you don't think the child should come back yet, well its your home/daycare your rules/call.

Euphoric !
    My son had scarlett fever about six months ago....it's basically strep with a rash on the torso. I would say once he's been on the antibiotics for a min of 48 hours, fever free and able to cope in the program he can come back. The reason I say 48 hours is because most antibiotics take 48 hours before they kick in.

Euphoric !
    I had Scarlet Fever when I was 24 and just starting in daycare....actually called in sick with it on my first full day. I felt very, very rough for 2 days, then started to get back to myself. My fever first day was 105.1 and would drop to 103 with meds, then spike again when they wore out. Next day was around 103.5-104. Third day was significantly reduced...not normal but getting there...but still kind of felt like I'd had the stuffing knocked out of me, but much better than before. Even with antibiotics, I'd be more inclined to take an extra day. Not so much because of the contagious factor, but because your son may still be feeling really, really rough. Maybe it hits adults harder, but I can say that I've never, ever been sooooo sick before or since. It was quite something.

Euphoric !
    I'm sorry...misread....d aycare kid? No way....I'd leave it a couple days yet. I know I couldn't have kept up with much, even 2 days after meds.