Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home... Big Hearts's Avatar

More about the Holiidays

I was just wondering when you exchange gifts with the dc families? I have sent home the gifts on monday but have yet to even get a care.....Is it safe to say I wont be getting gifts this year? Normaly at this time it has all be over and done with but i have all new kids this year. Friday is our last day till the new year.

Any who....Happy Holiday Everyone

Euphoric !
    I got one today, but typically get them on the last day. I guess it might depend on how new. Most of mine are new, one of whom brought a gift today for me...and for my kids (so sweet), but they have been here for a couple months. One is my sister so it's safe to say I won't get a daycare gift from her. Really, I don't ever expect them, but always do get gifts in the end. Sit tight....you still have another day or two to go

Expansive...
    I tend to get mine on the last day as well...I have 2 families who won't be in tomorrow so they brought in gifts for me today I give mine out on the last day as well.

apples and bananas
    I receive and send home on the last day of care. I have one coming on Monday for a bit, but I sent her's home yesturday just in case she doesn't end up coming for whatever reason, and she brought something for me yesturday as well.

Outgoing
    I gave out my gifts to the kids on Tuesday because thats when we finished up our ornaments for the parents. I have one dcg who only comes monday and tuesday and she gave me a gift on tuesday. the rest have last days today and friday so im assuming then, if any. I dont expect anything, although it is very nice

It is a awkward situation the gifts thing, nevertheless, when my kids were in daycare I always bought something for the caregiver to show her how much I appreciate her taking care of my precious girls right !?!

I started giving my gifts to them from ''the kids'' which was coffee mugs with their child picture on it plus a ornament of their handprint. I actually received money from the parents so far :\ weird haha and too much of it actually... I think, but hey I'll take it loll

Starting to feel at home... Big Hearts's Avatar
    Im to sure what to think...my aunt how has run a daycare for 20 years is telling me I should be upset as it showes no respect to me but I dont give the kids and families gifts just to get back i do it because i want to. Should i be offended if the holidays come and go and nothing? Would any of you take is a disrespectful?

Starting to feel at home...
    I don't think disrespectful is the right word to describe a parent who fails to offer a small gift, however I do find it hurtfull that so many parents now seem to do absolutely nothing for their caregivers. I've been doing home daycare for a couple of years now, and I have one client who is a total doll. She writes me thank you cards for any gifts that I buy for her daughter over the year (in addition to Christmas gifts I usually throw the little ones a birthday party with cake, helium balloons and a gift) and I treasure these - praise is truly worth it's weight in gold. She also gives me a generous gift at Christmas - I've been given a gift card to a lovely restaurant, and this year she gave me a gift card to a spa. So incrediably nice. Totally above and beyond what I would hope for. That said, while I don't "expect" gifts, I do wish that parents would make a modest effort and present a token gift - the grocery stores are filled with lovely plants and flowers - most under the 10 dollar range - and it would cost almost nothing to buy a card and put a few thoughtful words of praise in it. I have never received a gift from anyone (client or otherwise) and thought "oh gosh - that's too small/not grand enough for me" but to just collect their child's gift from me, and my card wishing their family well without even attempting to reciprocate seems very insensitive. (IMO) And as for the excuse of not knowing that you're supposed to thank your caregiver, my response goes something like this: if Hallmark has ornaments designed for caregivers, and TV shows discuss gifting etiquette for caregivers in the same segment that they discuss gifting protocol for your child's bus driver, your hair stylist, and your child's teacher - then you must be trying really hard to not know about this particular social norm !

Euphoric !
    I've been sending the crafts and gifts to the children from me and gifts to the parents from the children home at various points all week. We've had some sickness rolling through the daycare so I started sending them home a little early on the days they were here.

My newest dcMom obviously wasn't expecting all the things I sent home and didn't have anything for me so she brought me a little homemade gift this morning which I thought was niceand thoughtful. Nothing else from any of the other families yet. However, they are all paying me for next week and are not bringing their children so I have an unexpected week off and that is a wonderful gift - an unexpected vacation, woohoo!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Shy
    bah gift or no gift as long as i get a card with thoughtfull words and i am happy and if i dont, oh well, as long as i get respect from them all year im happy

of course i have always gotten something from my parents let it be chocoalte, wine (my fav hehe), i even got wine glasses once, very expensive one made me feel very weird :0/ , pyjama bottoms, specialy teas

omg name it haha

but what makes me smile is the card with thoughtfull words