Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Warning about a fake agency

Hi all. I'm new to this forum but I've found myself in a unique situation that I would like to see if any of you have come upon.

I'm from, etobicoke Ontario and am a new provider. I received a call from a company claiming to be associated with wee watch (I called wee watch and they are not) I am wondering if maybe anyone here may have dealt with this company before. They are called 'joinsitter.com' and 'asknannies.com'. This guy claims to be an agency who helps families find day cares in their areas. He was really smooth and asked all the right questions. He tricked me into paying an invoice through PayPal. He told me I was just registering and account with them and walked me through the process.

I now see that I was naive to trust this man as none of his links or contacts work but I was just wondering if anyone else in this community has ever experienced this type of fraud?

Euphoric !
    Yikes .... Hopefully it wasn't a lot of money ..... How brazen to call your home. I have not heard of this, however I am not interested in an agency so I would not be opening an account.

I contacted PayPal and they are looking into it as fraud. I was never interested in agencies either but I'm telling you this guy was detailed and through with his interview. I wasn't actually setting up an account...he was charging me for a background check which I was OK with.....turned out he lied and mislead me. My question is how many people has he done this to? And I also wanted to warn every one that this was happening. It appears that this is a slow time of year for registrations so I don't want him to lead anyone else on. I'm worries for families looking for daycares as well.....hopefully PayPal sees through this guys scam and hopefully I can have helped warn anyone else....

Bottom line. Lesson well learned!

Euphoric !
    I think I would contact the police too

Oh by the way I'm originally from etobicoke too ... Rexdale actually! I'm in Ottawa now

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Wow ~ that is horrible ... I hope you are able to get your money back!

Having been with agency before just for anyone out there considering partnering with an agency A) they do not charge you anything to sign up with them cause they are suppose to PAY YOU for your services not the other way around and B) a REPUTABLE agency that you would want to be with does not cold call and contact providers at random to try to persuade you to join up .... they advertize just like any other potential employer and hold open houses at playgroups and attend job fairs and so forth like normal businesses do to recruit people .... so definitely BEWARE of any company who has other practices!

I would definitely call the police as well!

Thank you for sharing your story cause hopefully it will help protect others from making the same mistake!!!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Unfortunately, there are a lot of scammers these days, so you need to be careful.

Euphoric !
    ANy time someone wants your money be wary. In PEI. I have my police check available for any potential clients. I think most provinces people do have both their criminal and child abuse checks available. There wouldn't be reason for most of us to be tricked into an additional background check.

Outgoing
    Although this is an old post. I think I have not changed. I guess people is really desesperate on getting easy your hardly earned money.

And not it's not just the shady scammers through the easy access into our homes (new technology), they constantly try. We are bombarded with everything possibly you either can buy, sign on, become a member, banks try to sell their products, phone marketers, to no end etc, etc. (They're very aggressive )

It has been maybe 8 years or more that "I DO NOT ANSWER PHONE CALLS", people that really matters in my life know this I'm glad that now technology allow us to answer only phone calls that we want to answer. Any other people that want to really contact me will have just to leave a message then it is my decision in answering those calls or placing them on the calls block system. Or take my name Off system too.

Currently through friends I know those scammers are really getting better everytime technology allows them to do so, I would even say that probably fb does too or how else these people would know so much about you? What you like, or your interests or what you do ? etc. Just be cautious with all the information you post.