Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Do you get paid for vacation?

I live in South-Western Ontario and currently do not get paid for my vacation. My contract states up to 2 weeks unpaid. It varies greatly in my area, some providers get paid and some do not.....I am seriously thinking of adding paid vacation to my contract when I update in the spring...DH is completely behind me, and thinks Im really doing myself and our family a disservice by not getting paid for my vaction days...

Just wondering how all you ladies fair in this department? Paid or unpaid?

Starting to feel at home...
    Hi there, I don't live in your region but I wanted to make a suggestion (if I could) Currently my vacation is "unpaid" It's been my experience that most parents (even good ones) balk at the idea of paying daycare dues when you're not watching their child. To get around this, I charge 25 dollars more a week than I used to. This means that each month I have been paid for two extra days - over the course of a year that's 24 days. I view this extra money as my vacation pay/sick day pay. It makes it a little less painful psychologically for me, when I close - before I used to fret about losing a day's (or a week's) pay. Would this work for you ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Monday 2 Friday Mama For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Im in Ottawa and I get paid for all 52 weeks per year ..... That includes all stats, three weeks holidays, 5 personal days and I only don't get paid if I close due to illness.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I live in London and I know some people charge for the vacation weeks and some don't. I take 3 weeks every year about 3 months apart so I always have a rest or a trip coming up to look forward to and I don't get paid for those 3 weeks. I just have to budget accordingly. But I get full fees for the other 49 weeks of the year no matter what happens.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

I don't charge for my vacation days either. I usually take 3 weeks which I am upping to 4 next year just because. I charge for stats. I am going to do a small increase as well to cover my vacation days. My area is very competitive so paid vacation would be a big deal breaker here.

Outgoing
    I get 18 paid days per year which accumlates at 1.5 days per month. That paid time off is paid as I take the time off or if a client should leave before I take my time they pay it at the end of their contract.

I do not allow any days unpaid. Parents pay same rate 52 weeks per year regardless of attendance.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

Starting to feel at home... Serendipity's Avatar
    I am paid the same rate 52 weeks a year. Parents get a specific number of days off depending on their enrollment status. (EX: 5 days per week attendance = 5 days per year no charge) Families attending 3 or less days per week don't receive any days)

If I choose to close for personal reasons I don't charge.

Euphoric !
    I used to give full time parents 2 weeks no pay in the summer (July/Aug) and 5 days Sept - June which most used at Christmas. Now I have changed that to 10 days at half price in the summer and 10 days at half price in the winter. That way I still get some money and they get a break on fees when not here and it encourages tehm to keep the kids home when they have a day off as they save if they keep.

Outgoing
    thanks everyone for sharing! ive been thinking of charging for only some of my vacation, or only charging 50% when i am off. Im trying to be fair to my families as well as myself...Ive got a few months until I renew contracts so Im just going to keep thinking about it

Euphoric !
    I get 2 weeks paid vacation and 1 week unpaid, plus all stats paid and 7 personal days paid per year. I see nothing unfair about asking parents to pay these days. They all get paid vacation days at their jobs...why should I be different? Also, they are paying for the space whether the child comes or not. I don't see any benefit to their child if the caregiver cannot afford to take regular breaks to refresh and re-energize. A burnt-out caregiver serves nobody in the end.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post: