Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Communication Journal? (Notebook)

Right now I send home an Infant/Toddler Daily Report each day (nap length, what they ate, how much they drank, what activities they enjoyed, & comments).

I decided to do a Communication Journal instead (a notebook they will bring back and forth in the diaper bags). This will save paper and hopefully will mean they will answer my written questions. They will need to initial it daily before returning. I don't like asking questions at pick-up because they are tired from the day and so am I! Also, once more children start I won't be able to discuss things in private (obviously unless we schedule a meeting). I'll still put down what their child's day was like (feeding, nap, etc..) but it will be an opportunity for myself and the parents to jot down questions or info we may not think about at drop-off/pick-up.

Anyone else do the same?? What do you include in your journal? My only concern is that I'll miss the typed form..

thanks in advance!!

Nope. Waste...of...time. Most parents do NOT read it. And, most parents ask the same questions at the door that you took all that time writing in the journal.

BTDT...waste...of... time.

Outgoing
    a communication journal is exactly what I do. They bring it back and forth each day. I write down what they child ate, the amount of time they slept, anything unusual (good or bad) that occured, as well as any cute or funny things. I just write down what I would want to know if it was my child each day. In general it's mostly food and sleep.
    The parents do read it and do appreciate it. sometimes we repeat what's in it at the door, but we don't always have to opportunity, so just in case it's all there!
    It's simple and effective!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gcj For This Useful Post:

I find from working in centers that the daily logs are all that the parent needs. The only kid that will ever get a journal is the child who is trouble (ie: special needs).

The Journals like Judy said are a waste of time, and the parents will forget it too many times....

Outgoing
    so, what exactly is a daily log?

Euphoric !
    I use a daily email communication instead. I do one group email to all parents telling a little about our day (I do not include nap lengths, how much kids ate, etc.). Antyhing personal that needs to be communicated is either sent in a separate email or told to parents at the door. I find the parents really appreciate the daily email and love knowing what their kids are doing all day. It helps them feel connected, epecially when the kids are too young to tell them about it themselves. I don't find times of naps, amounts eaten, etc to be especially important unless there is something unusual such as an extra long nap or a child who normally eats well and does not...then I usually tell them at the door.

Euphoric !
    Oh, by the way, the parents already get a weekly menu from me, so they know what the kids are eating.

Expansive...
    Hmm I think that it is a good idea- that way if the parents come back and say "you didn't tell me abc" and you can point and say "yes it is here on xyz"

Outgoing
    I checked out daily logs. Basically that's what my journal is, but without having to print out all those papers. short. simple. to the point. all in a small memo pad. works for me

Outgoing
    I started with a journal/notebook type of thing for my first two parents. That lasted a whole month maybe and I decided it was a waste of time. Anything that I put in there was normally discussed at the door anyways and when I asked questions, the parents didn't write back but instead just told me the next day at drop off or pick up. It seemed like extra work that I didn't need.
    I've put a white board up at my front door and I will write what we eat on a daily basis there. I will also write if I need supplies from anybody and also days off. If there is anything else the parents want to know that day, they ask and if there is anything further for me to tell the parents, I tell them by mouth.