Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Nighttime sleep problems

I have a 22 month old in my care who has become very grumpy over the past couple of months (he used to be very easry going and happy) and now wakes up during nap and cries (he was always my champion napper...I've had him since he was 9 months old). Parents mentioned to me the other day that he wakes in the night and they let him get up for 30 minutes to an hour before putting him back to sleep. Since the holidays his naps have become worse...he now wakes up after 45 minutes and screams...it can take 30 minutes for him to go back to sleep...yet he is very very tired. He often falls asleep in his lunch and yawns his way through the morning, which also leads to him being quite touchy when things don't go his way. (I would be too if I were getting up in the night!). I've always tried not to give advice on hometime parenting unless asked or unless it really affects me (such as discipline etc), but in this case, now that I know the cause of his grumpiness, I feel like it is affecting me and I should say something. But what? I don't want to tell parents to let the child cry it out in the night, but this is getting kind of ridiculous at close to 2 years of age! If he were coping well with the days, I wouldn't say a word, but he is not and I can't give him morning naps anymore because I don't have a space for it (I have 2 younger ones who need those spaces). What would you say to the parents? Anything? Or just deal with it?

Euphoric !
    Maybe try suggesting something like ok that he wakes up but he has to do something in bed not get up and play. As long as the child stays in bed he is more likely to fall asleep or at least his body is resting more. He is old enough to stay in his room if he wakes in the night, to have a gate at his door and his room childproofed so he can play in there unsupervised.

When did they move him from crib to bed or have they?

Euphoric !
    I don't know for sure, but am almost 100% sure he is still in his crib as he only started walking a few months ago and although he does climb, he seems overall much younger than he is (no real talking either). He is babied a lot, especially by the dad, so I think they just kind of treat him the same as when he woke up as a tiny baby...they haven't realized there is a difference and he does not need to be up!

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Maybe try suggesting something like ok that he wakes up but he has to do something in bed not get up and play. As long as the child stays in bed he is more likely to fall asleep or at least his body is resting more. He is old enough to stay in his room if he wakes in the night, to have a gate at his door and his room childproofed so he can play in there unsupervised.

When did they move him from crib to bed or have they?

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    He is babied a lot, especially by the dad, so I think they just kind of treat him the same as when he woke up as a tiny baby...they haven't realized there is a difference and he does not need to be up!
    That is so the problem with the child I have. He was a year the beginning of Sept. His mouth MUST have the soother in it and he drags this bunny cloth thing around with him and even now if he lets go of it he will either wail his head off or shake and shudder in nervous desperation. He can't talk and doesn't even babble cause the mouth is full and he can't play cause he only has one hand. On top of being babied - youngest of 3 kids and other two are a handful - he has the soother/bunny issues to deal with.